EF rack swap question

This is for anyone that is using an EF rack n pinion. Is there any problems with “kinking” or “binding” after doing this swap? Is there anything that I should pay close attention to before doing this swap? I am asking because I read that someone on this forum ran into some problems doing this swap. They ran into binding problems. Thanks for all of your help guys!!

You have to make the angle right by adding a shim to one side of the rack (between the rack and the frame rail). I can’t remember what side off the top of my head, but I believe it’s the hole towards the rear of the car. You will also have to shim the rack at bushing side as the EF rack is smaller in diameter than the DA rack. A lot of people use the CRX bushing inside the Integra bushing. I made myself an aluminum bushing to replace the CRX bushing and then used an ES Integra Poly bushing. Works great. No binding. One of these days I’ll get a picture of my custom aluminum bushing.

I don’t mean to thread jack but, I’d like to see that custom aluminum bushing. Sounds like the perfect solution. Any issues?

Maybe I’ll jack her up tonight and snap a couple of pictures. No issues at all. Steering is super tight with no slop, play, or binding.

do you know if you can use the DA inner and outer tie rod ends? or just the outers? Please verify which hole that I need to shim.

0330090813.jpg

I used both DA inner and outer tie rods. Replace them with new ones when you have the rack out.

G2Guru, which hole needs to be shimmed on the rack ^^^^^

If I remember right, I believe the rear hole (towards the back of the car on the rear crossmember needs to be shimmed. I think I shimmed it close to .1". When I jack it up to snap some pics of the aluminum bushing, I’ll verify all of this. It’s been awhile.

This first picture shows the two .125" thick washers (totaling .25") on the rear hole of the steering rack.

This picture shows the custom aluminum bushing I made on the lathe with the ES PS Rack Integra Poly bushing on top of it.

Very informative info!!! archive this.

yo dan, would you ever do that bushing again? don’t make me start another project. maybe a little later down the line…:bang:

thanks for the pics, would you be willing to make another bushing like that? I am really close to doing this swap, I want to make sure that I do not run into any snags. What about looping the VSS; how did you set up yours Guru?

Takes me a while to make on the lathe cause I’m slow and meticulous. Maybe I’ll just draw the bushing up in Pro-E and have the shop (our model shop) make a few sets. The only thing I’ll have to pay for is the material. Since I don’t want to remove my bushing to measure, someone want to measure the outer diameter of the EF rack with a pair of calipers? I have the DA rack sitting in my garage so I don’t need that measurement. The bushing is exactly that difference (it fills the void between the smaller diameter EF rack and the larger diameter DA Bushing). I do need to know the width of the DA bushing as well. I made it to where the aluminum bushing has raised edges and captures the DA bushing so there’s no chance of it slipping out…EVER.

As far as looping the VSS. You have a few options. Cap both with rubber caps, loop them with a short hose, or purchase the EF VSS (which doesn’t have the power steering in the first place).

Get back to me with those measurements and I’ll see what I can do about getting a few sets made up (maybe 10 or so) and I’ll have them available in a couple of weeks for sale ($20 a set shipped).

what did you do with the VSS?

I looped it.

Dan, you know ill take one of those. maybe even 2 :slight_smile:

I’d be in for two, as well. I have an EF rack laying around I can measure, I’ll just have to borrow some calipers from :cough: Gylnn :cough: :angel:

I have a power stearing rack (DA)I can measure as well;)

the EF VSS will work?!?!

Yes it will. I am using my 88 CRX Si VSS with a B16A swap.

$20 shipped . . . I’ll take one of those. I have an EF rack in the garage. I’ll try and take some measurements as soon as I can. :up: