FD3S build thread *MILLIONS OF PICTURES*

i asked and the community responded. ( http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?216431-3rd-gen-rx7-build-thread-interest )my main build thread will be on rx7club so i will update this one with big things instead of the minor stuff. here is the link to the thread on rx7club ( http://www.rx7club.com/build-threads-292/building-more-than-car-im-building-credibility-1048550/ ). this is the link to the photobucket album that will hold all my pictures for this. i wont link them all here but if you want to see more than what i post then feel free to head over there and take a look.

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/efdeesanes/library/fd3s%20build%20thread?sort=3&page=1

sooooooooo with the purchase of my new dd i took the leap and began the process of rebuilding my fd from its current state and when it is done it will be a work of art. im doing all sorts of cool stuff with it. a bunch of little projects and the one of the biggest ones being a wire tuck. these are the pictures of the final day that it will be in the beat up state that it is in. i had plenty of fun with it on its last night out before the rebuild. i burned a half tank of gas. regardless of how it looks, this car ran like a dream. probably of the best running rx7s on island. the engine is brand new rebuilt and the turbos are low mileage. the power fc is un-tuned but for my full non-sequential set up, it ran without a hiccup.

this is what i bought. 06 mazda axela with the 2.0 instead of the 2.3 or 1.5 or 1.6. its got a little pep but thats not at all whats its for so it doesnt really matter. its pretty cool and its everything i hoped it would be.

here is the before of the fd…

the exterior is pretty beat up. just to set the story straight, i bought the car like this. so dont go saying i dont know how to take care of car or anything. the interior is pretty bad too. there isnt much to an fd interior to begin with but still. the left side rear quarter panel is rusted to the point that it is separating from the car and the previous owner used some sort of sealant to patch it. its actually holding pretty well.

the engine bay isnt the best looking thing around but trust that this is what function>form looks like.

this is what it will look like for quite some time

my plan with this car is to make it something worthy of being november in one of those car calenders. i can do it. with enough time and dedication, i believe this to be very easily attainable. i have acquired enough skill and knowledge to be able to do what it is i want to do with this car. ultimately is will be on the stock twins turbos or maybe the upgraded 99’+ twin turbos on a v mount set up. i plan on keeping the boost conservative at 7-8 pounds which is less than stock. this car is a monster on .55 bar and is way more than enough for what i can use it for here. im not one of those super high horsepower people. i just want manageable power… or better yet, practical power. having a 500hp car to use on the togue isnt realistic.

i have no idea what kind of hp this will put down when all is said and done. i honestly dont really care to know. all i am worried about is that it runs properly and is a lot of fun. i will be updating this thread as time passes with some of the bigger steps in the process since 98% of you dont really know about this rx7 rotary stuff. rx7club will be the hub of the build thread. feel free to ask questions, make suggestions or comment. i look forward to it…

In. :smiley:

Are you guys allowed to go off base again yet?

Definitely in!

That intercooler bracket is so JDM tho…

Can’t wait to see the finished product, subscribed!

[QUOTE=armedferret;2303085]In. :smiley:

Are you guys allowed to go off base again yet?[/QUOTE]
yea, that lasted all of a few weeks. the only thing we got going on now is a midnight curfew and no alcohol off base. i dont drink so i dont care for that but the curfew really ruins my weekends.

[QUOTE=unified112;2303089]Definitely in!

That intercooler bracket is so JDM tho…[/QUOTE]
that bracket is actually oem believe it or not. theres supposed to be a duct under it that attaches to the intercooler.

thanks. im excited myself

so… long story short, i will no longer be going with the cwest kit… this is my new vision

I’m definitely in. I love FD’s! I always dreamed of owning one but I think the S2000 will end up being my next car. Jealous!

You gonna ship it back when you pcs stateside?

yea man, the rotary is one of those things. if youre gonna do it, you gotta do it. you gotta be all in. for most people here, they pick up an fd and play around with it then when it starts messing up they give up on it. you cant be that guy if you wanna have an fd. also, this thing is expensive… really expensive. there are no cheap parts for this car. i lucked out being here and owning it. parts are waaaaaaaay cheaper than anywhere else and where else in the world can you go to a junk yard and find complete fds to pick parts off of?

yes… i will be here on its 25th and possibly 27th birthday and with all the money im about to shove into it, it would be a crime not to. this car back home would be nuts. all the fanboys are gonna go crazy…

If you get stationed out this way I call dibs on a ride. :smiley:

HA! The closest to Maryland I will ever get is north Carolina and im never going back there… if I get my way, the next time I will call america home is when I go to retire. Im in no rush to go back.

East coast != america. :giggle:

i can’t wait to GTFO maryland. i’m much happier where there aren’t millions of people all crammed on top of one another, always in a hurry to do whatever it is they’re on their way to do…which is, of course, far more important than anything YOU could be doing.

so i got a lead on getting the authentic parts of this kit instead of the replicas. if all goes as planned, i could be getting it for free or close to nothing. pretty excited about it. then all i will have to do is get the rear over fenders, the rear diffuser, the front undertray and the side steps. being able to get the fenders and bumper locally saves me well over 1000$ in this part of my build. those incredible savings can be then forwarded to get carbon fiber or kevlar parts instead of the frp.

i am meeting with the guy sunday afternoon to discuss it. i will post pictures of the donor car.

Sweet! :up:

so the guy with the feed front end will do a straight up trade with me for some stuff i have. so i will be getting it in exchange for swapping his motor and a front bumper and some fenders i have. pretty excited that im saving literally 1000s of dollars on this kit. i also was able to order the rear fenders finally. im expecting them to show up here in a few months. i dont know if they have to be made then shipped out or if they have them on hand. they dont ship to APO addresses so i have to get them sent to my home in florida THEN sent to me. that transit time alone will be quite a few weeks.

i started stripping the car down. since i got the fenders ordered, im a little more motivated to start working. once the fenders arrive, i will be pulling them motor and sending this thing off to the body shop.

just bought the last piece of the puzzle… my v mount radiator. the only thing left i need to get is an oil cooler with all the fitting and lines. im only going to be running 1 oil cooler instead of the dual oil coolers that come stock on some of these cars and what most people do. for my set up, 1 nice sized cooler will be more than enough.

i sold some high dollar stuff recently and the extra cash flow is going to get me my undertray, sidesteps, bumper protectors and rear diffuser all in carbon fiber. i was also able to add to my body work fund. the guy quoted me at 300,000Y which is ~3000$. that rust issue in the back is the bulk of that cost. its in a difficult spot. things are going smoothly

today was a good day…

sweet. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Nice man