for all those who autocross

hey 2ndgenautoxtnr

youre the guy who drives the black one on steelies right? didnt you race last year too? you did pretty well considering your limited mods…i was the goof in the red DA with a “vented” carbon fiber hood…ridiculously loud, completely gutted…just wanted to say whats up…did you go to the 3/21 event? i missed it cuz of work…f*ckin job always messin things up

yea, that would be me. i remember seeing you at a few events at cloverleaf. i went to the event on 3/21 and finished 5th out of 10 behind 2 '91 si’s, a 89 teg, and 2002 zx3. next event is on the 4th at cloverleaf if ya didn’t know.

:wink: :up:

i know this is an old thread, but i thought i needed to say something.

Ive got a 91 LS with not much power.
GC coilovers with 500lbs F 400lbs R
Koni Yellows
ST Sway bars F & R
195/60/14 Azenis on stelleies

i hand G3 GSRs and a lot of other cars their asses. for a while i was on shitty 205/50/15 Kumho Ecstas (all they did was squeel). now im on Azenis and i seem to be going a lot faster. i really attibute this to the suspension. stiffen the konis in the rear and you can go into corners at a higher rate of speed, and if you understeer, let off the throttle and your back end will slide out a lil (not out of control) helping you make the corner.

heres how i ended up last season STS NV3 LINK

im running usually around 900 or so pax scores and getting higher all the time

what tire pressures do you use on your 14 inch azenis? i usually go about 36F 32R…thats the best feeling i’ve found so far.

I run on 205/50R15 Azenis and usually set my pressures at 40 psi f/r. If I had the 14" Azenis I would probably run about the same or a few psi higher, but I think tire pressures are a driver preference. I would definitely recommend bumping up your rear tire pressure some. To me it was amazing how much of a difference a few psi could make.

Does anyone know if the engine/trans update/backdate rule will ever change again or is that loophole closed for good?

I ususally run ~36-38 psi in the front and ~32-34 psi in the rear.

Pretty sure that rule is out.
-nino

I guess it was wishful thinking that it would change again… oh well. I run a higher rear tire pressure to help the car rotate. I have a lot of suspension problems to deal with so my settings may differ greatly from someone else. How is turn-in for some of you guys? Mine is beyond poor. I’m wondering if my -1 degree of front camber is part of the culprit.

Hey Nino, how well do you like your vision camber arms and what’s the smallest amount of negative camber you can get with them if you know by any chance? I’m looking at trying to get -1.5 to -2 degrees in the front. I’m not to worried about the back.

I’m running -3.5 and that’s with them set out as far as they can go(least amount of negative camber). It also depends on how low your car is. Mine is not set as low as some of the others I’ve seen. Another option is to run the Vision arms along with the Ingalls kit(although I’m not sure if that’s STS legal).
-nino

I currently have Neuspeed Race springs with standard Koni Yellows (2.0 in the front on middle perch; 1.5-1.8? in the rear on the top perch) and the Ingall’s Extreme kit. They’re just a pain in my arse to adjust. I need a set of re-valved Konis anyway. The ones I have now are toast and I plan on getting some custom spring rate GC’s and a few other things while I’m in there and I’m debating whether to try the Vision arms or not.

I personally love the arms, but it’s up to you.
-nino

Do you run on street tires? If so the higher rear pressures are likely hindering your efforts to make the car rotate. I wouldn’t worry about camber correction, after you add GC coilovers you can lower your car enough to get ~2.0deg of camber or more. Chris Shenfield’s Civic (a very competitive STS car) uses no camber correction and at one point had off the shelf konis.

Also, you cannot use two camber kits together.

i thought that higher pressure in the rear helped the car oversteer, but lots of experienced drivers in my area, and on solo2.org say higher pressure up front is better, on 14" azenis. thats what im trying on sunday.

I wouldn’t call it higher pressures in the front, what’s more important is lower pressures for the rear. I always run a sub 30psi pressure in the rear and 35-40psi in the front. The reason lower pressures makes the car rotate is a decrease in sidewall strength which allows for a greater slipangle (I think).

14" Azenis are a problem though, my new ones are only as fast as my worn out 15" tires. The 14" tires are good for rain though.

Yes. I run on 205/50R15 Falken Azenis. I used to run about 45 psi in the rear but mash on the brake or come off the gas in anything other than a straight line and I would end up backwards. I lowered my rear tire pressure about 5 psi and now I can catch the back end. My problem as of now is poor turn-in and low speed understeer. I think a LSD will help some on the second problem tho.

I got an h22 in my ride what do you think is a good spring rate since my car has more fat(wieght). I was going to get just Ground Controls for my my teg. Or shound i get them for another car. And how do you find out spring rates.

Will i called Ground control and he said to get 400F and 500R Is he right? With adj. shocks.

Those rates should be fine.

Ben