has anyone on here completely replaced their main harness??

any pictures? advice? i have all kinds of weird electrical problems and i’ve never been able to solve them all (due to an alarm installed by the previous owner). i’d also like to use the opportunity to swap with an obd1 harness in order to eliminate the need of my conversion subharness.

thats a big job man, just pay attention to connection spots, especialy at the fusebox, I was going to in my last teg and then decided against it. good luck on that.

a while ago, i took my dash off and saw all the wiring. i quickly put the dash back on, curled up into a ball, and began rocking back and forth whispering “never again” over and over.

however, i am tired of the seatbelts not working, the defroster and hazards not working, and one other weird problem which intermittently happens. i was thinking that i might be able to pull it off with a little guidance.

:rofl: thats just about how I felt when I pulled my dash for the first time. once you pull everything from the car(and I mean everything:() if you had some way to mark wire and where they go, im sure this is a job you could takle as long as you take lots of pictures with lots of documentation. :up:

if any one does it, make it a huge documented thread. So that we can all do the same.

ok it really not that hard from what i know it 3 harness one the engine bay (never none) 2 the dash it controls swithes,an glovebox ac,heater if i rember right, (key switch is it own) an harness 3 the one that goes from the front (dash ,dash fuse box) to the rear (tail light) this does the tail light ,power annt.fuel pump,rear hatch oh an the power windows ,an front an rear speakers,…cant rember if there was a sub harness for the sun roof ,an map,an dome light it really eazy all of them are plug an play (except engine never done but sure it th e same ) …ouestions let me know illl try to help …an i have no idea how the hell to post only replay …lol

nono. there is a huuuuge harness that goes from the ecu to the fusebox. that is the one i am worried about touching.

[QUOTE=gilcontr;2004112]a while ago, i took my dash off and saw all the wiring. i quickly put the dash back on, curled up into a ball, and began rocking back and forth whispering “never again” over and over.
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, awesome. Here’s some pics I have of my project, I was going to sell the harness but dude flaked, it’s a complete 90GS harness if you’re interested:

hmmm. i have a 91 gs. how much?

Shoot me an email with an offer

lol, if you leave it up to me, i’ll tell you 10 plus shipping. you’re better off throwing out what youd like to get.

hello?

Youll have to excuse my friend, hes a little slow:giggle:

BTW, I think you forgot to take something out of that 2nd picture:angel:

I know this is a little OT gil, but did you get that crossmember yet?

what did he miss! i responded right after he made the offer. i just thought he’d be lingering around to see it.

Yes, i got the crossmember! someone went a little crazy with their packing peanuts!!! thanks a lot!!! i thought i left you feedback already. maybe it didn’t go through? weird…

Haha, sorry the delay, kinda forgot about this. But how does $40 plus shipping sound?

hmmm… i’ll have to think about it.

Cool cool, just let me know, it’s all boxed up and ready to go!

[QUOTE=gilcontr;2005951]what did he miss! i responded right after he made the offer. i just thought he’d be lingering around to see it.

Yes, i got the crossmember! someone went a little crazy with their packing peanuts!!! thanks a lot!!! i thought i left you feedback already. maybe it didn’t go through? weird…[/QUOTE]

:lol: yeah I had them, so I figgured I would use them;)

Gil, it’s a big job, but do-able. I first considered it when I did my first b17a swap 7yrs ago. But opted just for the conversion harness. More recently I was planning on a full harness swap because I thought I’d found a really good condition shell which was lacking one.

Just label EVERYTHING! I would suggest you do not purchase a harness from someone unless YOU are allowed to pull it. Pulling the donor harness will aid you greatly in being able to install it, plus it allows you to label anything you need to.

Be weary of using a 1990 harness. There are some slight differences between 90 and 91. They use a different ecu. I’m not sure if that would be an issue or not, but something to look into (sorry, I forget the exact nature of the difference, has to do with one year having a sensor or something inside the ecu and the other year having it outside the ecu).

My co-worker has replaced EF harnesses before and says it’s easy, no more than a weekend job. But he has some decent electrical experience and is no where near as anal as I am about getting stuff like that perfect.

Also, I would consider looking into your real problem more. Seems to me that an alarm install shouldn’t have caused those problems. What ALL is happening? Have you done troubleshooting on all of those problems? I would expect your wiring to be OK unless it’s visibly messed up. Other than that it seems like your problems should be related to relays, control devices…etc. I know when I had a bad ICU (integrated control unit) I had some strange elec problems.

i hear what you’re saying. i forget what sensor it is but there is definitely a difference. i decided not to buy the harness and to try and fish an obd1 harness out of a 92-93. i was reading some of the stuff that you were considering in another thread and came to the conclusion that i’d be better to use that method to go obd1 and get bar’d. i have a good icu that i was going to swap in and see if that solves any of my problems. a few things going on with my car point to that but others like the radiator fan (i’ve read a few threads on rad fan problems and still have no idea of how to go about the test :frowning: ) and headlights have had me stumped for a while now. i guess i’ll see what happens once i pull the harness out of the donor car. maybe i’ll talk myself out of it!