Header Question

the rubber hangers are normal and definitely get one of those donut gaskets to put where the header meets the rest of the exhaust system.

okay so that donut gasket should fill the gap and seal the system competely? interesting that there was no mention of the need for one. would my old exhaust header outlet pipe have the donut gasket on it? i need to dig it out of storage now.

new video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWx-ah56lnY

i can definitely feel a slight amount of hp increase. It pulls harder than it used to, and gets into the higher rpm’s quicker.

can i reuse the one that is on the old header?

i dont see a way of removing it.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w61/dem0logik/DSC01494.jpg

gently pry it off. or just have to buy another one. they are less than $10 at orielly’s

That’s for a 90-91, non vtec header. you needed to buy this.

http://www.redlinemotive.com/part-number/megan-racing/mr-ssh-ai92.asp

iirc those fit the 92-93 gsr as well. the gsr having come with a vtec engine, should fit much better.

can also do this. . .

http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=591&catid=131

What’s funny is that you said buy the one that is for my car. Having a 1991 inTegra gs, I bought that one per your recommendation. So you’re essestially saying I should have bought the 92-93 headers instead?

So should I uninstall those headers, return them and get the 92-93 headers instead?

IcemanGSR: exactly which headers do I need in order for everything to fit right, since you seem to be knowledgeable on this subject. Appreciate everyone’s assistance, hopefully this will help others that have a similar setup.

I told you not to deal with megan, told you it was going to be a pain in the ass. gl tried to warn you

[QUOTE=integracer91;2137147]What’s funny is that you said buy the one that is for my car. Having a 1991 inTegra gs, I bought that one per your recommendation. So you’re essestially saying I should have bought the 92-93 headers instead?

So should I uninstall those headers, return them and get the 92-93 headers instead?[/QUOTE]

You’re right i did, to which you followed up with a question about vtec vs non vtec headers, to which i replied “why would you buy a non vtec header”. there were other posts indicating that 92-93 integra gsrs came with a vtec engine. I figured you’d say “i bought a b16, essentially making my integra a gsr, so i should buy a vtec specific header so it fits”

extending and shortening exhausts is not uncommon man, especially with aftermarket parts. sometimes you just have to do it. at this point, i’d say go ahead and get an extension made ( or buy a cat and have it made to fit at an exhaust shop) and enjoy. long as it fits on the engine and clears the oil pan, i’d leave it be.

[QUOTE=icemanGSR;2137171]You’re right i did, to which you followed up with a question about vtec vs non vtec headers, to which i replied “why would you buy a non vtec header”. there were other posts indicating that 92-93 integra gsrs came with a vtec engine. I figured you’d say “i bought a b16, essentially making my integra a gsr, so i should buy a vtec specific header so it fits”

extending and shortening exhausts is not uncommon man, especially with aftermarket parts. sometimes you just have to do it. at this point, i’d say go ahead and get an extension made ( or buy a cat and have it made to fit at an exhaust shop) and enjoy. long as it fits on the engine and clears the oil pan, i’d leave it be.[/QUOTE]

My bad, I’m a noob at this stuff, that was the first time i have ever replaced my headers, and it gets a bit confusing when you have a non stock setup and have to buy parts for it. So my integra is essentially a GSR now? Interesting. I never thought of it like that before. Would it be more beneficial to get the other headers, in terms of performance? (The 92-93 ones) And wouldn’t they still be non vtec? Also I don’t think those civic 4 to 1 headers would clear my cross member.

Again, I appreciate your assistance, icemanGSR.

I understand, but I don’t think it would have been a problem if I had a stock setup. It makes it a bit more complicated when you have a swap from another vehicle.

it doesn’t matter what engine you have… they’re all b-series engines and they all sit in the same spot. What really matters is what pre-existing exhaust you have on your car. I think the 90-91 header is longer than the 92-93, which is why when you order a 92-93 exhaust, they give you an extension piece (or the other way around… i don’t remember).

Either way, if it fits when you pull the exhaust forward a bit, then just leave it… definitely replace the donut gasket… i wouldn’t reuse it. They’re relatively cheap anyways.

Lol I didn’t even know that I would need a donut gasket in the first place. Now that I do, I really feel noobish. Where might I find 2 inch extension piece for my headers, to take the stress off of my exhaust.

It kinda does matter b/c non vtec and vtec oil pans are different so oftentimes you’ll have one hit the header when it should in fact fit. just kinda depends.

If I recall correctly, it was right up against the oil pan very snug. But it did bolt on to the engine just fine and at the 2 to 1 pipe and I didn’t just have to PULL the exhaust forward, I had to use a C-clamp to get it close enough to thread the bolt and nut. its a HUGE difference. about a total of about 2 inches.

yup my header didn’t fit either, and this was for the 1990-1991 chassis…it doesn’t fit between the xmember and oil pan… i just left it though… now with me being so low its all scratched and fuct…i will be going with a DC sports ceramic. shouldve done that in the first place.

I’d like to add does anyone know if the stock header (1991) come with a gasket that connects the header to the down pipe? not the exhaust mani gasket but the place where the two pipes connect?(3 bolts) idk if there was one when i replaced it with my Megan

my header fits fine, due to the 91 b18 header placement on the b16, the overall length is affected by about 2 inches. so where you lose that length is on the header outlet pipe, just before the cat.

as you can see it just barely tucks right above the cross member.

Ordered my new exhaust and high flow cat, also got some new rubber mounts for the exhaust hangers and new exhaust donut gasket. will post pics when installed

You can take that bar out, it’s not needed. 92-93’s don’t have them.

yeah, tell that to my wrench. that fucker is on there tight. i tried.

Exhaust arrived!
http://g2ic.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34286&stc=1&d=1271367194

If you mean the bar from front to back, my 93 has this, and would likely have no oil pan left if it was gone.