HELP!!! B16a Clutch Question

i currently swapped a b16a1 with a s1 tranny and need a new clutch… does anyone know which year cars clutch are compatable and im looking for a exedy does anyone know if it takes the
08-804 or the 08-800

If the tranny is an S1, you need a clutch for 90-91 Integra.

i have a S1 tranny, and i am using a 99 GSR clutch…the VTEC clutch has more surface area. so i tried it andit worked fine…

i think, (“THINK”, meaning not sure) that all the B series tranny clutches are compatible with each other./////

maybe i am wrong.

Chingro: are you sure you have a gsr clutch in your s1 tranny? are you sure your tranny is an s1? and where did you hear that the vtec clutches have more surface area? If you pay attention you’ll see that most are actually the same part number. for example, the 92-93 non vtec clutch is exatly the same as the 92-93 gsr clutch. and the 94+ vtec and non vtec clutches also have the same part numbers (thus the same exact clutch).

only 90-91 integra cluches will fit in the y1, s1, j1 vtec transmissions. These trannies came in 89-91 jdm cars w/ the b16a. And the 89-91 transmissions have a different number of spines on them --thus that is why there is a difference between 90-91 and 92-93 clutches (they are NOT interchangable).

this tranny i have i “personally” (meaning with my two hands), took it off the crate it was shipped on with the B16, and also took it off the engine…at SHA stadium in Queens N.Y.(Royal Japanese motor and trannies)
and it has S1…(followed by numbers)
and trust me…with my LS tranny…i never redline 5th gear on the high way…

but with the new tranny, i top out at about 140 with the redline at 8000 RPM, in 5th gear…and the accelaration has TREMENDOUSLY improved in every gears…(even though i had to live with fast shiftin)

i also personally took this clutch i have on my car from the 99 teg GSR motor, it had less than 12k and he was getting a stage 4 clutch…so i just took it and throw it in my car (i currently needed a clutch)… he kept his pressure plate…so i used mine.
this wuz done where i work…

www.rydesunlimited.com

i have been in this for almost 6 years now…(in 98 i did my first engine swap, and got hooked), i know what i am saying

later

oh and about the surface area thing…

i meant in compare to the B16 clutch…i matched it up with the JDM B16 clutch i got with my tranny…

and i am using the LS pressure plate

i’d like to hear what Dan has to say about this. Its been posted up here MANY times that the 90-91 and 92-93 clutches are not interchangable. Everyone out there that has had person experience with this has said the same thing. So, i’m kinda confused. strange stuff.

Originally posted by chingro
i have a S1 tranny, and i am using a 99 GSR clutch…

That… is impossible. Unless you somehow managed to change the input shaft in your transmission.

yea wadever… i have no idea how, but all i can say is that my basic setup is,

GSR head, LS block, S1 tranny, ls pressure plate, 99 gsr clutch…

nothing more…

i would appreciate if anyone answeres any further question…dont answer from what he said or you read…lots of stuff i read and heard turned out incorrect, so from experience would be preffered…

thank you

Well, FROM EXPERIENCE I can tell you there is no WAY a 92 or newer clutch disc will work with a pre 92 Tranny. The reason is simple. The mainshaft splines (the section that comes through the bell housing) that the clutch disc slides on is smaller on the 90-91 (or JDM 89) transmissions. So the 92 up clutch disc (if you do have one) would not turn the mainshaft when engaged because it would NEVER…NEVER meet the splines. Another analogy is to try to use a 14mm socket (92 Up Integra clutch disc) to remove a 13mm bolt (JDM S1 or other Pre 92 Integra Transmission Mainshaft). Good luck getting the bolt to turn.

LOL…i was waiting for some stupid person to reply

well there are few members here who can come to the shop and see what i am talkin…

today i pulled you a 92 ls tranny and ordered a 97 GSR clutch…

and it slides on perfectly…

(we are droppin a B16 in the teg,and we sent back the clutch , cost us nothing)

soooo//////please stop talkin trash…and go do an actual test to prove me wrong…

I AM DRIVING A LS/VTEC WITH A S1 TRANNY AND A 99 GSR CLUTCH, WITH THE LS PRESSURE PLATE!!!

so understand, i will be doing more testing…to see whats up…(i am one 100% sure my tranny is a S1…from how it feels (close gears) and the label on it…and that fact that i ripped it off the JDM B16 engine myself…

the only thing that will prove us both to be right, is if my S1 shaft was changed…

oh and one more thing

oh and i also have a 91 Ls (fully stock) with a 92 LS tranny (my old tranny), with a JDM B16A clutch///////

my boy just remind me to add this…

later

Re: LOL…i was waiting for some stupid person to reply

Originally posted by chingro
[B]today i pulled you a 92 ls tranny and ordered a 97 GSR clutch…

and it slides on perfectly…[/B]

Of course it fits. Any B-series transmission from 1992 or later will fit with any B series clutch from 1992 or later.

What it seems like you don’t understand is that a 1991 and 1992 LS tranny are DIFFERENT from each other.

I’m going to have to ask you to stop saying a 1989-1991 S1 tranny will fit with a 1992+ clutch because that’s just plain wrong. Stop giving out mis-information. If the input shaft has been somehow changed on your transmission, you represent a very small part of the population. Everyone else with a non-modified S1 tranny NEEDS to use a 1990-1991 Integra clutch.

I also find it hysterical that you called G2guru stupid. Even though he doesn’t admit it, almost everyone who knows him will say he’s one of the most knowledgable people on this board.

I put a S1 tranny onto my 92 LS and YES IT DOES TAKE A 92+ CLUTCH DISC! I had both trannies on the ground side by side and tried to use my 92+ ACT clutch disc and WILL NOT turn the shaft of a S1 tranns. I had to purchase a new clutch disc from a 90-91. I will be doing my clutch and flywheel hopefully in the next month and will take pics to show you. I think you output shaft has been changed.

Josh

Thanks Ryan, I do appreciate that. I guess there’s two things really. One, I’ll put my money where my mouth is. I’m about to pull a JDM S1 tranny off a non-OBD B16A block (that’s going into my CRX Si). If a 92-up Clutch disc turns the mainshaft, I’ll give you a set of Toda Spec A cams.

And two, I’ve done more clutch jobs than I care to count. You have a freak transmission sir. Someone swapped your mainshafts on you or gave you a 90-91 clutch disc. There’s no other way it would work. END OF STORY.

i take back my childish remarks, …BUT

hey i am sorry if i called you stupid…
what i meant to say is wait for a stupid answer…

well i still think i am right…you need to do that test and see…

i have a 92 teg…my boy has a 91 teg…

his tranny lost 3rd gear…and i wanted a SIR tranny…

his 91 teg got my 92 tranny with the SIR clutch that came with the JDM tranny i bought. (according to you guys, that is impossible)

now my 92 teg got the new 99 clutch with the SIR tranny i bought. (again, according to you guys, that is impossible)

both cars runs good now…no problem

soo…explain…

oh whenu dun email me for the addy where to send the cams :wink:

Simple, you don’t have a JDM S1 transmission. And you missed the point entirely. I know that the 90-91 is smaller than the 92-93 mainshafts. I rebuild transmissions. I do clutch jobs all the time…and that’s why I made the bet. I know you won’t get my cams. Do this, go to any shop where they have the plastic clutch alignment tools. Compare a 90-91 to a 92-up. I GUARANTEE YOU the 90-91 is smaller. I’m not going to let you give mis-information on this board for others to get screwed. The last thing someone wants to do is buy a 92 GSR clutch to mate to their JDM S1 only to find that their car won’t move because the clutch disc doesn’t touch the mainshaft. Or the reverse to be true, that they buy a JDM YS1 and expect their 90-91 clutch to work with it. It won’t. The tranny won’t even slide into place. All of this I speak from experience. How many clutch jobs have you done?

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=121835#post121835post121835

i have to say this guy FROM EXPERIENCE…is alotsmarter than you…

and you better mail me my cams…cuzi will do what you say…:wink: