Honest opinion on overflow placement?

What do you guys think about were i put my overflow tank?
I actually hate were it is but idk were else to put it. I also have nowere to hide it
Its a chasebays tank btw.
It actually bolted right up. Didnt drill anything.

I think it needs to be at the same level as the rad cap.

Where are you going to put the battery? How much does that overflow tank cost? I’m also looking for a place to relocate my tank.

Overflow does not need to be at the same level as radiator cap.

Battery is already relocated.
Price is on chasebays website. I dont remeber what i paid for it.

Now what is your opinion on were mine is?
How does it look? I honestly hate it…

It looks fine to me. I plan purchasing one of those later on but I don’t have my battery relocated so I can put it where you have it… I would see if there is anywhere between the front bumper and condenser to fit. That’s where I will look to place mine whenever I buy it. Someone else on this site put there oem overflow in between the bumper and condenser and it came out good.

I was thinking about that but there really isnt any room for this this thing. Lol

I like it, you really wouldn’t see it unless you were looking for it from the front. Which is the point I assume…so good job.

can’t you place it between the bumper and radiator support? bad location as far as putting coolant in it, but…

And y is this a bad location for putting coolent in it? And this thing is kinda long so awkward shaped so it’s kinda hard to put between there. Lol

And that is what she said! Haha

lol i was just mentioning that for the fact of topping it off w/ fluid

You don’t “top off” an overflow tank.
All an overflow tank does is keep excess coolent from being dumped all over the ground.

duh, i know that much, but also when you’re flushed out the cooling system you put some in there as well, hence why the marking is on there. it’s not meant to be empty, it draws out coolant as well when the coolant in the radiator is low, it’s a ‘balancing act’ for lack of better terms

Really explain to me how the fluid goes back into the radiator?

Because coolant gets pushed from the water pump across the back of the block, through the lower hose, pulled up the rad, pulled through the upper hose and into the block. So there is no reason why coolant couldn’t be pulled from the over flow too, or put back in if there was excess for whatever reason. In fact it seems like it makes less sense that coolant would flow back into the bottle.

Unless I am completely wrong in how the coolant system flows?

All I know is that when I put some coolant in my overflow, there is always a little less next time I look, never more.

like i said it’s a ‘balancing act’ that goes on between the radiator/cooling system and the overflow container. it’s used to hold the overflow, but it also pulls/drinks coolant, or pulls it back from teh overflow container when the radiator is low. if this didnt happen and when the radiator gets low when the thermostat opens the chances of your car over heating would go up in chances. it’s not there, just to hold coolant…

The true overflow tank is an add on item used with a conventional cooling system. The conventional cooling system uses a radiator, which has an attached filler neck to which a pressure cap is attached. The system is filled though the filler neck on the radiator and should be filled to about ½” to 1” below the bottom of the filler neck. If the system is filled any higher, it will be over full and the excess coolant will be vented from the system. This happens when the heat builds up within the coolant, it expands, increasing the system pressure above the pressure holding capability of the pressure cap causing the excess coolant to be vented out through the overflow vent which is exposed when the cap sealing plate is forced upwards. The excess coolant is then vented to either the atmosphere or into an overflow tank, which functions as a catchment basin. The overflow tank is under atmospheric pressure while the cooling system is under atmospheric pressure plus the pressure generated by the heat expansion of the cooling medium. As the cooling system begins to cool down, the internal system pressure drops until it allows the pressure cap spring to overcome the system pressure and the cap then forms a seal again on the bottom of the filler neck. This takes place when the internal system pressure drops to lower than the rated pressure of the radiator pressure cap. Thus, the cooling system pressure will always be above the atmospheric pressure of the overflow tank until the pressure cap again seals and the entire system is completely cool. At that time, both the cooling system and the overflow tank will be at atmospheric pressure. As can be easily seen, the flow of excess cooling can be in one direction only—out of the cooling system and into the overflow tank. The coolant in the overflow tank cannot flow back into the cooling system because a liquid cannot flow from a lower pressure to a higher pressure. Thus, an overflow tank serves strictly as a catchment basin, not as some for of extra coolant reservoir.

I hear what you are saying but now I don’t understand why OEM’s put low and full marks on overflow tanks…

because it’s also used as a reserve tank, hence also termed a resorvoir (sp?). if the colant in the overflow tank ‘cannot’ as you say flow back into the cooling system, explain the fluctuating coolant in the overflow tank between the car being hot and cold…

coolant is takn from the overflow tank, proof is when i had a coolant leak in my system, it drew coolant from the overflow tank to compensate for what was lost during the leak, into the radiator/cooling system, until i found the leak and eliminated the leak. now, overall it pretty much stays at the same coolant level in the overflow tank aside from a little bit of fluctuating. as i said, it’s a balancing act, if the radiator is low, it’ll draw from teh overflow…if the radiator is ‘over filled’ it’ll ‘spill over’ into the ‘overflow’ tank.

I still don’t understand how it sucks the coolent out the tank… Lol

if i’m thinking right, when the coolant gets to a certain low point, it acts as a vacuum and pulls coolant from teh overflow tank.

quick google search:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys/6tjaWmgJWZE