How Reliable is going Turbo?

^I do not agree with that at all. This is why a lot of people get scared of boost and their projects end before they ever begin. With enough research, knowlege, and sourcing used (BUT QUALITY) parts you can be well within a reasonable spending limit, say $1500-200 said and done. I have below $1200 into my setup, and yes, I street tuned it myself, so that may have been another $250-$500. But I have ALL brand name, very high quality parts. (Aside from my CX racing intercooler, which does its job). That $1200 even included my clutch, my exhaust, boost guage, wide-band, chipped P28, a brand new Turbonetics Evo, my eCtune subscription, my half-core radiator, and EVERYTHING else. I have put 10K on my car on 10psi, it’s my only car so its daily driven… daily abused, COMMUTED 60+ miles 6 days a week without so much as a hiccup. I’m not saying you can do it as cheap as I did, I spent about a year parts hunting and low-balling. But it CAN be done for much less than the 4k+ that everyone likes to insist on… Hell, for that much I’d have a build motor and 400whp…:rockon:

P.S. 151k, and the head has never even been off of this thing.

I work at one of the largest wholesale parts distros in the country and know what wholesale is on most parts for this industry including Turbonetics. If you shopped a year and picked up everything you said you did and it was all name brand aside from your intercooler I am impressed. People must have been giving it away for you to get it all at that price and all working quality parts that weren’t stolen right?!!@? I had my manager who has been running boosted cars for many years read this and his reply was stolen parts or BS. We work this industry and have for years. You don’t take a bone stock car and boost it for under 2k total investment period was his next response as he walked away. We hear this alot.

I am not knocking your car, your uncanny ability to shop and find quaility used parts for dirt cheap (and get them from the seller without getting ripped off), or anything as such. What I am saying is after going to Japan in 1999 and building Hondas since that point in time I have seen enough used parts fail and the transactions along with them to try and avoid that route at any cost. You will end up spending more money in the long run from what ive seen in 10+ yrs.

Most people couldnt look at a used turbo and tell if there is play in the shaft. Most people can not socket and tune thier own vehicle. Most people can not weld or fab pipe. We are talking about a reliable boosted car here for the masses as some one such as your self doesnt ask this question. I was being realistic in my above statement. Sure there will be a few people out there in your shoes who break the mold and make it happen at a super low cost.

I still have to say I find it hard to belive you found a Turbonetics turbo, IC, piping, couplers, turbo feed line, all -an fittings to tap oil pressure and T it, Oil drain back along with all adaptors for the Turbo for lines, bulk head fitting for oil pan drain, map sensor, injectors, fuel pressure reg, fuel rail, fuel pump, turbo manifold, down pipe, waste gate, wastegate dump tube, blow off valve, boost controller, boost gauge, a chipped p-28 all misc for turbo, all misc. for supporting mods (exhaust, clutch, airfilter etc), [SIZE=“6”]and all of this in used/quailty working order/NAME BRAND and with no issues for under $2000k and not hot parts[/SIZE]. I may have even left some parts out but included the BARE min you need. You have got to include the $$$ of anything you have laying around you used in the build. I am even leaving things out like the socket, prom, and the cables along with the wide band. Thats a chunk of change right there too. Not even including the laptop and software along with the knowledge to do the tune.

I am not trying to start a flame war with you or bad mouth you in any way. Just defending my statement from above you disagree with.

You started your post with this. “I do not agree with that at all. This is why a lot of people get scared of boost and their projects end before they ever begin.”

I’ll end mine with this. Many people think and are told about how someone has and how they can build a boosted car for under $2000 and then end up with nothing but problems and alot of wasted money and time.

Really? Your accusing the guy of having stolen shit? Let’s be real for a minute. I sell a lot of used parts. I have sold shit wayyyyyyy below what it’s worth before. Not all the time but every once in a while. I think it’s realistic that he found all that shit. Plus, I don’t really hold any weight in your “credentials” because you work at a NEW PARTS WHOLESALER not a used parts distributor. It’s nothing against you, it just seems like you are comparing apples to oranges. I could give 2 shits what something cost brand new, typically you can get whatever it is for half the original cost or less. That’s my experience. Maybe I’m crazy for thinking that. Just cause you buy used parts doesn’t mean they are stolen, so keep selling your new shit and probably ripping people a new one and leave the used parts to guys that actually know something.

[QUOTE=boost3782;2170685]I work at one of the largest wholesale parts distros in the country and know what wholesale is on most parts for this industry including Turbonetics. If you shopped a year and picked up everything you said you did and it was all name brand aside from your intercooler I am impressed. People must have been giving it away for you to get it all at that price and all working quality parts that weren’t stolen right?!!@? I had my manager who has been running boosted cars for many years read this and his reply was stolen parts or BS. We work this industry and have for years. You don’t take a bone stock car and boost it for under 2k total investment period was his next response as he walked away. We hear this alot.

I am not knocking your car, your uncanny ability to shop and find quaility used parts for dirt cheap (and get them from the seller without getting ripped off), or anything as such. What I am saying is after going to Japan in 1999 and building Hondas since that point in time I have seen enough used parts fail and the transactions along with them to try and avoid that route at any cost. You will end up spending more money in the long run from what ive seen in 10+ yrs.

Most people couldnt look at a used turbo and tell if there is play in the shaft. Most people can not socket and tune thier own vehicle. Most people can not weld or fab pipe. We are talking about a reliable boosted car here for the masses as some one such as your self doesnt ask this question. I was being realistic in my above statement. Sure there will be a few people out there in your shoes who break the mold and make it happen at a super low cost.

I still have to say I find it hard to belive you found a Turbonetics turbo, IC, piping, couplers, turbo feed line, all -an fittings to tap oil pressure and T it, Oil drain back along with all adaptors for the Turbo for lines, bulk head fitting for oil pan drain, map sensor, injectors, fuel pressure reg, fuel rail, fuel pump, turbo manifold, down pipe, waste gate, wastegate dump tube, blow off valve, boost controller, boost gauge, a chipped p-28 all misc for turbo, all misc. for supporting mods (exhaust, clutch, airfilter etc), [SIZE=“6”]and all of this in used/quailty working order/NAME BRAND and with no issues for under $2000k and not hot parts[/SIZE]. I may have even left some parts out but included the BARE min you need. You have got to include the $$$ of anything you have laying around you used in the build. I am even leaving things out like the socket, prom, and the cables along with the wide band. Thats a chunk of change right there too. Not even including the laptop and software along with the knowledge to do the tune.

I am not trying to start a flame war with you or bad mouth you in any way. Just defending my statement from above you disagree with.

You started your post with this. “I do not agree with that at all. This is why a lot of people get scared of boost and their projects end before they ever begin.”

I’ll end mine with this. Many people think and are told about how someone has and how they can build a boosted car for under $2000 and then end up with nothing but problems and alot of wasted money and time.[/QUOTE]

^^This coming from the guy asking how to build a reliable boosted car. You seem to have it all figured out aside from reading?! Where did I accuse him of having stolen parts? I am under the impression he’s leaving some prices out on stuff he allready had. If thats not the case then yea I would say somethings up. As for you caring about my my words weight I could give 2 chits sir. I have had plenty of boosted cars and have enjoyed working on many. I am not the one asking how to build one reliably. I am trying to help out the community. People like you make me understand why most of the old gurus have left the boards and don’t help anyone any more. Thanks I’ll add another check mark to that list.

Scroll through the thread we have here. How many folks have agreed with what I have said? I’m trying to give you words of wisdom and help save you from problems/troubles and money loss from my own trails of boost. Yet you wanna bite the hand that’s feeding you solid information?!
As you scroll through the thread read some of your posts. You ask for companies of products to use and ones to stay away from. I have told you some and also recommended things to stay away from. Others have too. You told me you would not be going with those products. Thats fine man. Like mentioned above a used quailty manifold would be fine (no cracks etc) but not a turbo. You mention tuning with a street tune with your “tuner”. Many of us have stated our feelings on that. You wanna be mad at me for hitting you with the truth bat thats fine. Speed costs money how fast do you wanna go? You want to play but you dont wanna pay. Life sucks. Do it cheap. Have fun with the expensive education. You have N/a figured out you said. Sounds like within a week you have boost all figured out too. What did you build like 3-4 boosted cars last weekend?

Your saying I don’t have a clue? LOL “so keep selling your new shit and probably ripping people a new one and leave the used parts to guys that actually know something.”
Your right I sell new parts. I deal with superchargers and turbo products for a living. I do tech and sales for all the boosted questions that come my way along with all other speed and custom parts N/A and Forced Induction alike. Here’s my clue… I don’t know it all and never will but I know more than you so keep your comments like this to yourself.

I guess back to my price gouging new parts and enjoying watching a boost gauge climb. Besides if that new part doesn’t work boy that warranty is nice. Thats like some pain relief for that ripped rear end new parts give out. Whats your street/used parts warranty? Last time I checked it was the “SOL” policy.

I’ll say no more good luck sir.

^^ Sorry to hyjack the thread, but can you look at my thread and perhaps give me your thoughts on my issue? My thread is underneath this one.

[QUOTE=boost3782;2170703]^^This coming from the guy asking how to build a reliable boosted car. You seem to have it all figured out aside from reading?! Where did I accuse him of having stolen parts? I am under the impression he’s leaving some prices out on stuff he allready had. If thats not the case then yea I would say somethings up. As for you caring about my my words weight I could give 2 chits sir. I have had plenty of boosted cars and have enjoyed working on many. I am not the one asking how to build one reliably. I am trying to help out the community. People like you make me understand why most of the old gurus have left the boards and don’t help anyone any more. Thanks I’ll add another check mark to that list.

Scroll through the thread we have here. How many folks have agreed with what I have said? I’m trying to give you words of wisdom and help save you from problems/troubles and money loss from my own trails of boost. Yet you wanna bite the hand that’s feeding you solid information?!
As you scroll through the thread read some of your posts. You ask for companies of products to use and ones to stay away from. I have told you some and also recommended things to stay away from. Others have too. You told me you would not be going with those products. Thats fine man. Like mentioned above a used quailty manifold would be fine (no cracks etc) but not a turbo. You mention tuning with a street tune with your “tuner”. Many of us have stated our feelings on that. You wanna be mad at me for hitting you with the truth bat thats fine. Speed costs money how fast do you wanna go? You want to play but you dont wanna pay. Life sucks. Do it cheap. Have fun with the expensive education. You have N/a figured out you said. Sounds like within a week you have boost all figured out too. What did you build like 3-4 boosted cars last weekend?

Your saying I don’t have a clue? LOL “so keep selling your new shit and probably ripping people a new one and leave the used parts to guys that actually know something.”
Your right I sell new parts. I deal with superchargers and turbo products for a living. I do tech and sales for all the boosted questions that come my way along with all other speed and custom parts N/A and Forced Induction alike. Here’s my clue… I don’t know it all and never will but I know more than you so keep your comments like this to yourself.

I guess back to my price gouging new parts and enjoying watching a boost gauge climb. Besides if that new part doesn’t work boy that warranty is nice. Thats like some pain relief for that ripped rear end new parts give out. Whats your street/used parts warranty? Last time I checked it was the “SOL” policy.

I’ll say no more good luck sir.[/QUOTE]

So do you feel cool because you know “know more than” me. Congrats. You know what turbo parts are reliable. Half of the stuff you’ve said in this thread was talking down to me anyway. You’re one of those people with their head so far up your ass you can’t even see the light of day. you’re an eliteist. A douche. A snob. You name it, your it. I could care less what you think if going with used parts. I know people with Hondas, Nissans, Mustangs, Chevy’s, you name it that have put used forced induction parts on their cars and been fine. New isn’t the only way to go. I wish I knew what company you work for. I’ve probably bought something from you. Wish I knew what company cause I wouldn’t buy anything else from ya.