How to fix the ICU for less than $5

here’s a GREAT write up that i think should be on this teg tip for later use…
Answer for you to MattyG2…

http://www.imagestation.com/album/review.html?id=4290425277

:hi5:

thanks, btw how do you take out the coin tray without breaking it?

haha, just push that metal thing down and it slides out… lol

push it down with what?

well… after a long time of procrastinating i finally got up and repclaced the cap. the cap didn’t look like it was burnt or anything though. after i got it soldered on. i plugged everything back in and now my left turning signal light in the console doesn’t blink, it makes the sound and the lights on the outside work but the light inside doesn’t. I used the emergency lights and the left signal in the console works. any ideas of what might’ve caused this? and oh the only thing that the icu wasn’t working for was my rear defroster.

ebpDA9 :bow: thanks for the write up
I have put doing this off for a long time but my oil light started flashing on & off a few days ago & I found that the cap could be the source of the problem also, besides my intermitent wipers have not worked in over 2 yrs.
Replacing the cap fixed both problems :hi5:

does the ICU have anything to do with the Hazard Lights?

gonna try to put the icu in tomorrow, i just got one. i hope it fixes everything

ok this icu seems hard to take out, because i have an alarm all the wires look weird, can someone in socal help me change this out?

ok i put the new icu in and it works!! all my stuff works now. anyone want to buy my messed up one that they can fix?

capacitor

I bought a couple of capacitors at my local frys, wondering if any of these would work, please let me know

Which would be the best, if any can work at all
thanks

non-polarized electrolytics capacitor
220 MFD 25V
Product ID: NPR220M25

non-polarized electrolytics capacitor
100 MFD 16V
Product ID: NPA100M16

and

Electrolytic capacitor
100 MFD 35V
Product ID: NEH100M35CC

All from same manufacturer www.nteinc.com

I got this same problem a few times, but I shrugged it off because it rarely happens…but now that I know of this fix, I will work on it before it becomes a more permanent problem.

why the hell did you narc this thread for??? :bang:

geez…

HorizonTeg06 ( mailto:jkook1982@yahoo.com ) has reported this post:

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1208872#post1208872

This is part of this thread:
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127170

This is the reason that the user gave:
Hey could you help me out with the capacitor, I bought one that was
220 microfarad and at 25V, I actually posted it in this forums wondering
if you could help out with this and if it would work

thanks

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all
administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

ok this icu seems hard to take out, because i have an alarm all the wires look weird, can someone in socal help me change this out?

No sh1t. My 91 has an alarm that is a freaking rat’s nest which makes taking out the fuse panel a major pain in the butt. I picked up a used one that is in great condition, but all those damn wires are preventing me from getting at the top bolt for the fuse panel.

sorry guys, did it on accident, I was trying to message the originator of this thread

I bought some capacitors from these guys http://www.digikey.com/

This is and exact replacement (spec wise) of the big one, but only a newer model. 493-1779-ND (Nichicom 100mf, 16v, 105c).

This one, 493-1861-ND (Nichicom 100mf, 35v, 105c). Highter volt so it doesn’t overheat like the original 16v one.

This is a replacement of the smaller one in the upper right hand corner, 493-1856-ND (Nichicom 33mf, 16v, 105c).

I replaced them both just just for the hell of it. I used the 493-1681-ND, and the 493-1856-ND.

The capacitors you posted, well I’m not sure. If they are temp rated at 105c then I would say yes. But the site you posted doens’t have any info really on them. I would go with this one you posted if it’s 105c rated.
Electrolytic capacitor
100 MFD 35V
Product ID: NEH100M35CC

I do have extra capacitors if you want them. I could even repair yours if you want.

i have an extra icu now that i swapped mine out with a working one, someone can take mine if you just pay for shipping and try to repair it on your own.

actually they are posted at 85c all of them so I guess it wouldnt work

JDM1nt2B: how much would you be lookin into chargin me to fix my icu and replace both capacitors?

can I drive without my ICU?

MattyG2: I am willing to take it, but wondering if you could send it to JDM1nt2B and then have him send it to me after repair.

This would be really great if you guys can do this for me I do have a 92 LS if that makes any difference

Let me know what you guys can do

Thanks

its up to him if he wants to repair it, i just want someone to pay shipping cost or the thing goes in the trash

I don’t think you can drive without the ICU. But then again I’ve never tried it.

Yeah I’ll repair Matty’s, You pay him for shipping to me. And I’ll ship it back to you. I replied to your email.