Iceman's All Motor Build Thread

Page 6 Updates: Beginning assembly.
http://g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1999008#post1999008

Not the greatest pictures but I’ll try and get better ones up.

Teasers. Heh Heh. :hit:

B18a1 Block
RS Machine ITR Pistons 81.5mm w/ Hastings Rings
Endyn Block Girdle
Endyn Block Posts
LS Rods and Crankshaft
ACL Bearing Kit
ARP Main Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
Cometic Head Gasket
OEM Water Pump/Oil Pump/Timing belt kit/Lower Gasket Kit
Fidanza 7.5lb Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit

B18c5 Head
Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1 cams
AEBS Intake Manifold - if i can get a friend to weld it back together when i port it
AEM 5 Bolt Cam Gears
Hytech Replica Ti Coated Header
TDC Motorsports Sport Exhaust System
TDC Motorsports Short Ram Intake w/ K&N dry flow filter
Custom DC5 Icebox

Misc
Braille Auto Lightweight Battery
TDC Motorsports Fender Bracing - work in progress
Progress 24mm Rear Sway Bar
Koni Yellow Shocks
Skunk2 Coilover Sleeves
Titan Front Strut Bar
Explicit Speed Performance Traction Bars
Filled OEM Motor Mounts
TDC Motorsports Front Torque Mount
Homemade Grounding Kit
HID Conversion to Ebay 1 piece Headlights 5000k D2S
ITR Rear Seats
EP3 Front Seats
ITR SRS Steering Wheel
ITR Shift Boot
ITR Shift Knob - or maybe Spoon
Autometer Gauges
TunerView
Tuned On ECTune - hopefully
Slim Fans
OZ Ultraleggra Wheels 16" with Nitto Neo Gen Tires

They did a piss poor job of cleaning it, but i’ll take some etching mag wheel cleaner and a wire brush to it later on. She’ll be all pretty.

i didn’t have time to remove all the old stuff so i’ll have to take them off, and do some more cleaning

Endyn Block Guard - you can see how well they cleaned the gasket face. Yay thanks jerks.

Freshly bored. Makes me warm inside.

Polished areas of crank

Weights (in grams)

More Goodies

NOW the good stuff . . .

Intake

Exhaust

mmmmmmmm all motor springs

MISC OEM Honda Goodness . . . Fuck the rest, get the best!

HID Kit

And my guard lion. His name is Mugen. Yes you read that right, Mugen.

I’m always very concerned when I see a ton of money sunk into LS-V projects but I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Did you ever think about just upgrading the block?

Best of luck and good parts list!
J.

[QUOTE=.J.;1993971]I’m always very concerned when I see a ton of money sunk into LS-V projects but I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Did you ever think about just upgrading the block?

Best of luck and good parts list!
J.[/QUOTE]

Why the concern chief? I’m not worried. I’ve done mounds of research. I’m doing everything within my budget right now. I’ve had some great guidence throughout from the man who made that block guard. I will be posting the block with Endyn Block Posts here soon.

stuff looks top shelf :up:

I’d be disappointed too, if the shop did a piss poor job of cleaning up the block/gasket surfaces.

Two semi unrelated facts for you, btw. One, you have a cat named Mugen, I have a cat named Honda, lol. Second, I’m moving to Kansas in a few weeks. Maybe one of these days we’ll meet up. I’ll be in the Pittsburg/Parsons area. Not sure where you’re at, but I figured I’d throw that out there for ya.

Looking at that bore surface pattern and the polished areas on that crank I would be concerned! Maybe it’s the pictures but I don’t believe so.

it’s the pics. they are as smooth as can be. can’t snag the edge of a piece of paper on anything in any of the journals. the polisher checked em, the machine shop checked em, and the shop that did the balancing checked em. i was extremely paranoid about it, but it polished up very well.

[QUOTE=imcnblu;1994023]stuff looks top shelf :up:

I’d be disappointed too, if the shop did a piss poor job of cleaning up the block/gasket surfaces.

Two semi unrelated facts for you, btw. One, you have a cat named Mugen, I have a cat named Honda, lol. Second, I’m moving to Kansas in a few weeks. Maybe one of these days we’ll meet up. I’ll be in the Pittsburg/Parsons area. Not sure where you’re at, but I figured I’d throw that out there for ya.[/QUOTE]

I’m in Gladstone, Missouri. Within a couple of hours of pittsburg. Not horrible.

My buddy Matt lives in VA.

B18A bottom ends are a dime a dozen, however it’s your time and money.

Be speficic about what concerns you? there are no deep grooves, no sharp edges, etc. this shop has been in business for a long time, has done many many honda blocks around town, i dont see that i have any cause for concern.

EDIT* to satisfy my paranoia I called em up. The machinist said that the new procedure is to get the walls as smooth as possible. This is to match what ring manufacturers are suggesting to promote ring seal. What people are used to seeing on a freshly honed block is a hone with about 180 grit which looks like the stock honda block and how the block looked before i took it to the machine shop. This is what he used, but following that he went at it with a 300 grit to smooth the crosshatching, not eliminate it. He said it’s going to be very very hard to see it but it’s there. Said smoother walls with very little oil (according to the ring manufacturer) on assembly promotes quicker seal. It’s called plateau honing and is pretty much the standard procedure nowadays.

so you’re mad they didnt scrap the gasket surfaces? imo that’s not their job. that’s your job or your engine builders job. same goes for cleaning the block. they cleaned it, w/a hot tank. that’s all they needed to do to do their job.

shit looks good, don’t fret the small shit. i dont think modified would still be using them if they didnt do good work.

[QUOTE=4sd4dr;1994130]so you’re mad they didnt scrap the gasket surfaces? imo that’s not their job. that’s your job or your engine builders job. same goes for cleaning the block. they cleaned it, w/a hot tank. that’s all they needed to do to do their job.

shit looks good, don’t fret the small shit. i dont think modified would still be using them if they didnt do good work.[/QUOTE]

it’s not a huge deal but seeing some other places and builds where the block comes back gleaming kinda irked me a bit. if it was me i’d be scubbing it for a customer is all. just a personal opinion. it’ll be gleaming when im done with it.

how’s yours doing?

I bet if you told them you wanted it “gleaming” they would’ve “scubbed” it for you for extra money.

I’m waiting on my S300/TunerView to show up.

[QUOTE=4sd4dr;1994153]I bet if you told them you wanted it “gleaming” they would’ve “scubbed” it for you for extra money.

I’m waiting on my S300/TunerView to show up.[/QUOTE]

sweet. tuner view is pretty neat stuff.

First snowman, now iceman is building their teg. Whats next frosty the snow man? :slight_smile:

Nice parts you got there. Keep it coming.

Ice,
It’s just that I’ve known more LS-V projects go bad with spun bearings and other small failures then I can count. And I mean this from a long term use basis.

I think it comes down to is that Kevin Nugyen, the first kid I actually knew of to make the head swap work did so because GSR blocks were a truly expensive proposition compared to now. We all knew that it wasn’t anything complicated to put together, but considering the price drop of P72 blocks I think I would spend the extra G’ for the piece of mind.

Maybe I’ve just been playing with these things too long…
J.

[QUOTE=.J.;1994330]Ice,
It’s just that I’ve known more LS-V projects go bad with spun bearings and other small failures then I can count. And I mean this from a long term use basis.

I think it comes down to is that Kevin Nugyen, the first kid I actually knew of to make the head swap work did so because GSR blocks were a truly expensive proposition compared to now. We all knew that it wasn’t anything complicated to put together, but considering the price drop of P72 blocks I think I would spend the extra G’ for the piece of mind.

Maybe I’ve just been playing with these things too long…
J.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you are referring to the oil squirters. I have done some extensive research on them and have found that they are only truly necessary for engines that will spend considerable time at higher rpms. mine won’t. daily driven, somewhat spirited, and occasional track use. i have always been a paranoid person but i have found that this has been around long enough to have the weak points addressed.

oil squirters are for keeping the piston crown cool, not really for lubrication.

Ice,
Yes, of course I’m referring to the squirters, but not specifically in my comment. Do all the research you want, but those squirters are key for any good LS-V build!

I’m more referring to the fact that if you look at a Honda head and block you can see how the two are specifically designed to work together by disapating heat and flexing/dispersing vibrations under high/heavy loads. An LS-V will never benefit from that kind of original design so for about the last 5 years I’ve had the oppinion that regardless of what you do to a thorough LS-V build sometimes it’s just cheaper to invest in that block now rather then deal with the long term issues of two totally different designs trying to work together.

My comments are based on the fact that you clearly are trying to build a project the right way, which is admirable, but sometimes our industry has pushed a bad premise off as a good long term solution to a problem which doesn’t really exist anymore; considering the pricing of B18C blocks today.

Just something to think about from an old guy, thats all.

J.

[QUOTE=.J.;1994453]Ice,
Yes, of course I’m referring to the squirters, but not specifically in my comment. Do all the research you want, but those squirters are key for any good LS-V build!

I’m more referring to the fact that if you look at a Honda head and block you can see how the two are specifically designed to work together by disapating heat and flexing/dispersing vibrations under high/heavy loads. An LS-V will never benefit from that kind of original design so for about the last 5 years I’ve had the oppinion that regardless of what you do to a thorough LS-V build sometimes it’s just cheaper to invest in that block now rather then deal with the long term issues of two totally different designs trying to work together.

My comments are based on the fact that you clearly are trying to build a project the right way, which is admirable, but sometimes our industry has pushed a bad premise off as a good long term solution to a problem which doesn’t really exist anymore; considering the pricing of B18C blocks today.

J.[/QUOTE]

but how did you come to that conclusion? what steps were taking to determine that the oil squirters were the failure point? there are very few differences between a vtec and non vtec block so i’m curious as to where you’re getting your information or how you determined this on your own?

[QUOTE=.J.;1994453]Ice,

J.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck are you talking about?

Seriously the piston spuitrers are a bone of contention for you? Really. Care to explain the rationale behind that one.

Care to point out theses amazing differences in the head to block contact between that of an LS block and B18C block, because I sure have not noticed them. The only difference I have ever noticed is the presence of the VTEC oil galley on the B18C block versus the lack of one on an LS block. Even that is not a big deal. It has been found that feeding extra oil to the head via a larger external line can help aid in keeping the valve train cooler under high RPM.

I love how the myth of the LS-VTEC being unreliable still exists to this day.