Impossible to idle with 404's @ 0,0?

I did a search and everyone says 404’s wont idle on stock cam gears, will they idle if I raise my idle to like 1000 rpm?

Hard to say bro, I had 403s in my old GS and I hated the idle. Some people say it sounds and feels cool, and at first it did, but after a while it got on my nerves. The car never really stalled because of the cams though. Perhaps with proper tuning you could get 404’s to idle acceptably.

your going to need a fuel controller and adjustable cam gears to get it to idle ok. don’t expect it to idle like stock, it never will.

How is the throttle response with aggressive cams?

Originally posted by Sir rev alot
How is the throttle response with aggressive cams?

Uhmm…good.

I don’t see the 404’s idling on 0,0 either. To do the 404’s properly, you gotta get the springs/cam gears/fpr/safc and dyno tuning all at once. Or else they simply won’t be streetable.

Originally posted by G2Integrity
[B]

Uhmm…good.

I don’t see the 404’s idling on 0,0 either. To do the 404’s properly, you gotta get the springs/cam gears/fpr/safc and dyno tuning all at once. Or else they simply won’t be streetable. [/B]

fpr and safc are a must?

Cant I just put a bandaid over it by raising the idle? :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you mean by wont be streetable?

Originally posted by notecLS
[B]

fpr and safc are a must?

Cant I just put a bandaid over it by raising the idle? :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Yeah, the FPR and S-AFC are a must. Raising the idle is not easy, actually. You can’t just turn it up, the computer turns it right back down. You gotta unplug the TPS to turn it up, which isn’t the greatest thing for the motor. Plus, with a high idle, you’ll still be running wicked rich, fouling your plugs, clogging your cat, etc. I had these problems with the 403’s, think about it. People, the 404’s are racing cams, you gotta do a lot to make these streetable. If you want a more mild strip/street cam, get the 403’s. You won’t be disappointed.

[B]

Yeah, the FPR and S-AFC are a must. Raising the idle is not easy, actually. You can’t just turn it up, the computer turns it right back down. You gotta unplug the TPS to turn it up, which isn’t the greatest thing for the motor. Plus, with a high idle, you’ll still be running wicked rich, fouling your plugs, clogging your cat, etc. I had these problems with the 403’s, think about it. People, the 404’s are racing cams, you gotta do a lot to make these streetable. If you want a more mild strip/street cam, get the 403’s. You won’t be disappointed. [/B]

Or I vould be ghetto and just over-tighten the throttle cable so the butterfly is cracked a tad :up:

WIll 403’s idle on stock cam gears?

What do you mean by wont be streetable?

I assume he means having the car not die while idling and turning :stuck_out_tongue: You might also have a problem idlign with ac on, and everytime the bass hits, your car may die. Oh and the lopey sound isnt streetable to some people.

Originally posted by notecLS
WIll 403’s idle on stock cam gears?

At 0,0 they should idle fairly well.

And yeah, by streetable I mean able to use easily on the street. Before all my tuning, the car would die when really warm on hard turns, the PS just sucked up too much power. I ended up taking off my PS belt anyway, but you get the idea.

im looking for some power

ive priced out a tanabe racing medallion exaust, new cat , an AEM cold air at around $700
im interested in gettin moderate gains cause thats all ill get for under a G.
whats your suggestion for a set of cams and what parts will i need to run em properly???
thx

sorry, its a 91 ls 1.8 bone stock engine

Re: im looking for some power

Originally posted by D_E_T_O_X
ive priced out a tanabe racing medallion exaust, new cat , an AEM cold air at around $700
im interested in gettin moderate gains cause thats all ill get for under a G.
whats your suggestion for a set of cams and what parts will i need to run em properly???
thx

Ok, under $1,000 I’d recommend a set of Crower 403’s, cam gears, fpr, and a dyno tune. The car will still run kind of rich and not idle perfectly, but it will be a lot better than if you hadn’t tuned. If you have the money, get the S-AFC too, and then you’ll be really happy on all fronts. All that should run around $1,000.

I just picked up a set of these>> they are very nice.

my suggestion would be to wait on this things cause the hp you’ll be expecting won’t be there. for $1K, i’d go and purchase a vtec head and do a ls/vtec. with soo many resources, it’s a pretty straight forward upgrade. expect at least 30hp.
here’s a rough price guide on parts needed
complete vtec head $300-$400(inlcludes intake manifold and valvetrain)
oil line and fittings $100
misc. honda parts $100(gaskets, seals, etc)
vtec ecu $200 www.hyperducktuning.com
$200-$300 leftover for other performance stuff
here’s a good resource to read
www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/parts.html
www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/lsvtec.html
www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.html

Re: Re: im looking for some power

[B]

Ok, under $1,000 I’d recommend a set of Crower 403’s, cam gears, fpr, and a dyno tune. The car will still run kind of rich and not idle perfectly, but it will be a lot better than if you hadn’t tuned. If you have the money, get the S-AFC too, and then you’ll be really happy on all fronts. All that should run around $1,000. [/B]

He also n ees new valve springs. I may risk it on my 93 with 403’s, but a 91 is just too old. I also only have 98k :slight_smile:

I just picked up a set of these>> they are very nice.

how much :drool:

Originally posted by db2b17a-R
my suggestion would be to wait on this things cause the hp you’ll be expecting won’t be there. for $1K, i’d go and purchase a vtec head and do a ls/vtec. with soo many resources, it’s a pretty straight forward upgrade. expect at least 30hp.
here’s a rough price guide on parts needed
complete vtec head $300-$400(inlcludes intake manifold and valvetrain)
oil line and fittings $100
misc. honda parts $100(gaskets, seals, etc)
vtec ecu $200 www.hyperducktuning.com
$200-$300 leftover for other performance stuff
here’s a good resource to read
c-speedracing.com
c-speedracing.com
c-speedracing.com

Just by bolting on the head, only expect maybe 20, remember he wont be revving to 8000 rpm…

Oh lord, please don’t think LS/VTEC can be accomplished for under $1,000. That is just a pipe dream.

And again, 403’s on stock springs are fine.