Inner door lining

The plastic weather lining that covers the opening in the door once the door panel is removed.

Where can I find this? Acura seems to have no idea what I am talking about no matter how I explain it.

What did you use instead? Maybe something heat resistant?

I’m sure I can use anything similar to the plastic sheet, but would like to use what is supposed to go there.

Trying to seal the car up as best as possible since AC is getting fixed.

I ripped mine off when I did my first stereo install and never looked back. I’m not surprised the dealer is no help. I’d just get some plastic sheeting from a local hardware store. The type of stuff you’d use as a drop-cloth while painting.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202184081&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC--SearchPLPHorizontal1-1--NA--202184081--N

Then you just need to find a good adhesive to use. I’m not sure what would work best, a lot of them may not have the adhesive properties to stick really well to a smooth plastic sheet. But I don’t know, I’ve never tried something like that.

[QUOTE=Colin;2264959]I ripped mine off when I did my first stereo install and never looked back. I’m not surprised the dealer is no help. I’d just get some plastic sheeting from a local hardware store. The type of stuff you’d use as a drop-cloth while painting.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202184081&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC--SearchPLPHorizontal1-1--NA--202184081--N

Then you just need to find a good adhesive to use. I’m not sure what would work best, a lot of them may not have the adhesive properties to stick really well to a smooth plastic sheet. But I don’t know, I’ve never tried something like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they use honda bond which I have, and there is a groove that runs around the door where the sealer goes. I figured home depot would be my best bet.

Just figured I’d ask since I have never seen the question. Something heat resistant would be super with these 110 degree days.

Good looking out tho man, much appreciated!

It’s not the normal Hondabond that you’d use as a gasket sealer on the trans, valve cover…etc. It’s 100% a different compound. However, Honda does make a handful of different similar products. Heat resistant isn’t nearly as important as simply closing off airflow. Same concept as a dual pane window, it’s not that the glass is resistant to heat it’s just that the air molecules are separated from each other by another layer and heat transfer is reduced by doing so.

That’s funny, the parts guy at Acura made me think it was the same thing as the gasket sealer. Gezzus!

And that makes sense about the window. Good info.

It’s called a vapor barrier, 6mill construction plastic works just as well.

We use 3M spray adhesive.

Cut plastic to fit, spray outside edge of plastic, spray corrasponding area on door, lay plastic on, it works like contact cement, so you get one crack at doing it right, two people make it a lot easier, don’t forget to cut any slots/holes for linkage and brackets befor you apply the glue. 94

[QUOTE=fcm;2265060]It’s called a vapor barrier, 6mill construction plastic works just as well.

We use 3M spray adhesive.

Cut plastic to fit, spray outside edge of plastic, spray corrasponding area on door, lay plastic on, it works like contact cement, so you get one crack at doing it right, two people make it a lot easier, don’t forget to cut any slots/holes for linkage and brackets befor you apply the glue. 94[/QUOTE]

So if I want to remove it, I will have to re-do the whole thing?

Since this thread got bumped again… the other day I happened to stumble on the OEM part you were looking for. It’s in the “door lining” category of the parts catalog:

#13 & #16 List price is around $25

[QUOTE=Colin;2266765]Since this thread got bumped again… the other day I happened to stumble on the OEM part you were looking for. It’s in the “door lining” category of the parts catalog:

#13 & #16 List price is around $25[/QUOTE]

wow…I can’t believe I missed that in there. Totally overlooked. Well I hope this helps someone in the future. However on the other parts site where those are cheaper by like $10, it says they are discontinued.

Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, I looked it up and it said one was available and the other wasn’t listed, which usually means discontinued. However, sometimes their records are not right and if you get someone at a local dealer to check stock for you they can find more stuff. Or the opposite, it’s listed online but isn’t really available anymore…

For $25 you can get enough 6mil construction poly to do 25 G2 4 doors:sipread: 94

I re-did mine with some heavy plastic that is used for industrial shrinkwrap, as mentioned, it was 6 or 7 mil.

As for adhesive I use butyl tape… It is a non-hardening material that stays tacky and sticky for years, very similar to the OEM stuff. 3M made the stuff that I used, but many companies make it.

I removed ALL of the old adhesive using a heatgun and plastic scraper. Cleaned the surface to make sure the tape adhered well, and stuck it on. Pretty straight forward really.

[QUOTE=unified112;2267126]I re-did mine with some heavy plastic that is used for industrial shrinkwrap, as mentioned, it was 6 or 7 mil.

As for adhesive I use butyl tape… It is a non-hardening material that stays tacky and sticky for years, very similar to the OEM stuff. 3M made the stuff that I used, but many companies make it.

I removed ALL of the old adhesive using a heatgun and plastic scraper. Cleaned the surface to make sure the tape adhered well, and stuck it on. Pretty straight forward really.

[/QUOTE]

Very nice! The Butyl tape is what I need to pick up. 3m brand? Where did you get it at?

That’s the stuff I used. My brother bought it years ago, I’m not sure where from.

If you google the part number, I’m sure you could find it.

It’s over 5yrs old and still tacky… awesome stuff. I also used it when re-sealing my one pieces.

[QUOTE=unified112;2267181]
It’s over 5yrs old and still tacky… awesome stuff. I also used it when re-sealing my one pieces.[/QUOTE]
Since you brought up the headlight topic… I stumbled across this awhile back: http://shop.lightwerkz.net/Koito-Butyl-Rubber-Sealer It might be the same stuff used at the factory, or at least the same concept, they also make it in black. I’ve yet to try it, but I bought some and will give it a whirl when I finally get around to finishing my lights.

That 3m stuff is great… I think it was like $15 for the box. The headlights are crazy easy, if you need any help let me know.

[QUOTE=unified112;2267181]

That’s the stuff I used. My brother bought it years ago, I’m not sure where from.

If you google the part number, I’m sure you could find it.

It’s over 5yrs old and still tacky… awesome stuff. I also used it when re-sealing my one pieces.[/QUOTE]

I totally realized over the weekend that I can use either of this stuff to stop water from leaking into my hatch! Have some light damage around the taillight from previous over and water just leaks down inside. I can just roll up a and run a length of this along my tail light.

Good posting guys!

Anyone know where you can get that 3m stuff or what it’s made to be used for? Home Deport I’d assume?

:wink:

I don’t think HomeDepot or Lowe’s would carry the 3M stuff… but they should have some type of Butyl Tape available. I know windshield places carry butyl tape. I used the 3M stuff specifically because the pre-cut strips work perfect for one-pieces.

I actually just saw something similar at Autozone over the weekend when I was looking at some stuff, it was in the area where they had weather stripping. I think it was marketed as being for windshields. Although that didn’t seem right to me since the urethane they usually use to secure windshields hardens when it dries.

Before you go out looking I’d just google the keywords on the box as well as that part number, you’re bound to get some info.

Indeed… they don’t use the butyl stuff on the windshields, moreso on rear-quarter glass.