Looking into upgrading my home theatre setup in a few weeks, would like some input.

Okay, guys. Looking for some suggestions as far as good surround sound setups to go with.

My current setup is:

47" Vizio LCD TV
DirecTV HD Receiver (using an HDMI cable for video, and red/white cables for audio)
PS3 (using HDMI for video, and the traditional red and white cables for audio)
RCA surround sound system (not the best, but it has been okay. I may keep it, and transition it into the master bedroom since it is still functioning) picked it up from Wal-Mart about 3 years ago for around $100 +/-.

What I’m looking for, is a setup that would have multiple HDMI inputs, that would allow it to take the audio signal from the HDMI and send it to the surround speakers, but also have some sort of HDMI output to run the video signal to the TV.

I hope you understand what I’m trying to explain.

My price range is in the $400-$500 area. A little more won’t hurt my feelings, but I don’t want to spend too much more on it.

Wireless rear speakers would be nice, but I wouldn’t consider them mandatory. I have no problem hiding wiring, but if I can get away with no wires at all, that would be a nice change of pace.

I’ve found this, through some quick google efforts:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-SS370-Surround-Theater-System/dp/B0035ER1QE

I notice it has 3 HDMI inputs, and 1 output. Would this be what I am looking for? I’ve heard there are some systems that have this, but they don’t send the audio to the speakers, it just sends everything straight to the TV (which is not what I want). I don’t intend to use the TV’s audio at all, as it has never sounded good. It sounds kind of crappy, even on HDMI audio.

I think I have that Sony model. I’m not home so I can’t check. It looks the same. Wireless rears which are awesome. It has three Hdmi inputs and one out. I have my ps3 and Xbox going into it and one Hdmi cable to the TV. It was $500 but I got it as a open box at bestbuy for $320. It is my first surround system so I don’t have much to compare it too. All in all I think it was well worth the money.

Yeah, man. If you could look into it, that would be great. So, the HDMI inputs are all you used for Audio AND Video and the receiver sends the audio to surround speakers with no additional wiring? I’m wanting better sound quality, and less wiring than what I’ve got. If I can simplify everything, and get better quality, I’m all for it.

$500 +/- seems to be the ballpark price I’m seeing for this system online, BNIB. I’ve found some used ones for less than $300, but I’m not buying used.

I forgot to mention that I also have a Nintendo Wii, for the kids, hooked up as well. But, that doesn’t support HDMI, so I’m not concerned about it. In the pics I saw, it appeared to have component inputs, and that will be fine for the Wii. If I ever get a Wii U, that’s a different story. But, I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon. Just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Some higher end receivers have the capability to up switch the component cables to an hdmi output! I installed a pioneer unit for a customer and his had the up switch capability. You could also buy a stand alone component to hdmi adapter for your wii.

That’s pretty cool. I might look into that, just to get the most out of the Wii in the future.

It seems like the Sony HT-SS line is going to be where I’m going to be going with.

I’m trying to figure out what would be ideal for me, though.

The HT-SS360, 370, and 380 all seem to be around what I’m looking for. I’m curious as to the pros and cons of each, to determine which matches my needs the best.

I spend a good amount of time gaming with the PS3, as well as watching Blu Ray movies. Not so much as watching normal TV shows. Netflix on the PS3 has been getting some serious usage as well, lately. Most of my entertainment is sourced from the PS3. I’d say it is about a 70% PS3/30% DTV usage. I guess you could say that I’m looking to get the most out of the PS3’s audio/video capabilities.

I’m not TOO concerned about stepping up to the 7.1 systems. A good 5.1 system is all I’m interested in for the time being. When we finally buy our own home in a couple years, and we’re looking at something more permanent, I’ll look into a higher end 7.1 setup.

Thanks guys, for the help, thus far.

Check out some of the Onkyo Home Theater systems. I love mine.

edit: This is similar to what I have. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S8409-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B005EP2HMU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359423164&sr=1-6&keywords=onkyo+home+theater

thats $200 over his price point

They have other models that are cheaper too.

[QUOTE=imcnblu;2285318]Okay, guys. Looking for some suggestions as far as good surround sound setups to go with.

My current setup is:

47" Vizio LCD TV
DirecTV HD Receiver (using an HDMI cable for video, and red/white cables for audio)
PS3 (using HDMI for video, and the traditional red and white cables for audio)
RCA surround sound system (not the best, but it has been okay. I may keep it, and transition it into the master bedroom since it is still functioning) picked it up from Wal-Mart about 3 years ago for around $100 +/-.

What I’m looking for, is a setup that would have multiple HDMI inputs, that would allow it to take the audio signal from the HDMI and send it to the surround speakers, but also have some sort of HDMI output to run the video signal to the TV.

I hope you understand what I’m trying to explain.

My price range is in the $400-$500 area. A little more won’t hurt my feelings, but I don’t want to spend too much more on it.

Wireless rear speakers would be nice, but I wouldn’t consider them mandatory. I have no problem hiding wiring, but if I can get away with no wires at all, that would be a nice change of pace.

I’ve found this, through some quick google efforts:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-SS370-Surround-Theater-System/dp/B0035ER1QE

I notice it has 3 HDMI inputs, and 1 output. Would this be what I am looking for? I’ve heard there are some systems that have this, but they don’t send the audio to the speakers, it just sends everything straight to the TV (which is not what I want). I don’t intend to use the TV’s audio at all, as it has never sounded good. It sounds kind of crappy, even on HDMI audio.[/QUOTE]

I apologize in advance, this is OFF-off topic, but since you mentioned home-theater, I spent a ton of money on mine, but a little addition that makes people want to watch Blu-Rays at my house instead of the theater are these little puppies. $40 a pop, and if you have a spare amp to power them… it’s worth its weight in gold. I have 2 installed inside my couch. It’s a dimension of the HT system you may not have considered yet: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-028

I’m away from home at the moment, and my phone won’t open the link. Could you, or anyone, elaborate on what is in the link?

It’s basically a device that vibrates. You attach it to your seating and it gives the “rumble” associated with sounds from the movie (low frequencies).

Id suggest the sony soundbar with wireless sub system. a little under your range but just as well quality wise. I was suprised by how intense and clear it is and easily portrays a movie theater when loud enough but can be used at a everyday level. not the best for bass thumping music but blu rays and ps3 work extremely good since its a sony setup. it has multiple hdmi and optical inputs. just thought id throw it out there… also the good thing is its LPCM all the time

Sony BDVN790W Blu-ray Home Theater System

That’s the model I have. It only has two Hdmi ports but that’s all I needed. The sound for the ps3 and Xbox go through it and I have the tv volume all the way down and use the volume on the theater. Works great for what I wanted. Had a sound bar before but this is way better.

Last year after yet another buying a Samsung 3D Plasma & having yet another Sony component receiver go tits up I decided to try something new… Being I was so happy with the quality of my new TV I picked up the Samsung HT6500W HTIB system (My PS3 has been the only truly reliabel sony product I ever owend)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HTD6500W-Blu-Ray-Theater-System/dp/B004PAA876

I love it! has 2 HDMI inputs 1 HDMI out wireless surround speakers (the speakers are wired but connect to a wireless power module) features smart apps, wireless connectivity to your home network…

all in all it was my first forray into samsung products and has a 3d bluray player… even if I wasn’t running a 3D tv I’d recommend it. everyone that comes over mentions how kick ass my surround setup sounds… and coming from general people that say a bit… me being a bit of an audiophile… I reall cannot knock the sound quality. The passive subwoofer doesn’t do too bad either suprisingly.

Alternatively at woot.com the daily deal is a Onkyo system LOL

http://www.woot.com/?utm_expid=31924516-10

got a 7.1 channel Onkyo for the folks awhile back it kicks ass…

[QUOTE=djzachtyler;2285520]
Alternatively at woot.com the daily deal is a Onkyo system LOL

http://www.woot.com/?utm_expid=31924516-10

got a 7.1 channel Onkyo for the folks awhile back it kicks ass…[/QUOTE]

I think that’s the one I have.

Seems like a great deal, wish I was in the market for a surround system, I’d be all over that Onkyo.

:werd:

I was just about to post the woot deal! thinking about picking it up myself!

woot is the best … specially loves me a good woot-off hahaha

Home audio is one thing that I try to tell people…you can’t go cheap if you want performance. Sound familiar?..HP. :lol: You are really going to get what you paid for. I spent a little over $2k including the receiver on mine. It’s perfect for my house and have not experience anything else close to it.

If that’s your budget, I came across this http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce which for the money isn’t too bad to start off with.