lower-cost exhaust replacement. Flowmaster (audio included)

The stock aftermarket exhaust systems (i.e. from Walker / Bosal etc.) are JUNK. The one I had installed to pass the state inspection up here lasted about a year before rust spots formed and something got loose (rattling around) in the main muffler section (not to mention instead of being quiet, it sounded really whiny – like something off a Geo Metro). The pipe aft of the catalytic converter (stock one) rusted out after 23 years, so I’m replacing that with a stock OEM replacement that I plan to prep with some high temp paint, along with the rear section being this Flowmaster system (pic). Total cost is about $300 which is half of what a good quality stainless steel one would cost, but I figured I’d give it a shot. Based on what I’ve heard, the Flowmaster one should be quieter than a stainless steel Thermal R&D (or other higher-quality aftermarket system) given that it’s the thicker aluminized steel. Exhaust system options are becoming difficult to come by too (besides eBay specials :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to have it installed within a week. I’ll post pics and video of sound

only issue i’ve had with the ebay special is the resonator is blown…been blown for about 2 years…i think i’ve had the system for 4 years

I hear ya. I’m putting sound over performance anyway. I do a lot of highway driving and don’t want to hear long drones (and no, that’s not what an audio system is for).

It’s a good idea, but I just generally don’t like flowmaster. They don’t seem to like 4 banger engines. Sure, If I had an RX-7, or one of the larger engine JDM cars I’d consider it but I never like the pairings with Inline 4 Hondas. Mostly because I like to rev higher (that’s the point isn’t it?), and flowmasters seem to pur and resonate best at low RPMS/Idle.

As much as people detest Skunk2, I’d trust them for a decent exhaust system. They have stainless steal catbacks for the 92-93 DA starting around $450.00. I’d just spend the money on the whole set and be done with it. But that’s just me since having a DD makes things tougher.

Good luck, if you do purchase it be sure to upload some videos!

Here’s a link to the exhaust on JHP’s site:
https://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=318&idcategory=216

Thanks! Maybe I’ll put that on the wife’s teg :slight_smile:

Also thanks for the info on the Magnaflow “purr” at lower RPM. I tend to keep it under 3000, but we’ll see how it goes.

cool plan. i couldn’t find any systems that i liked for under $500, so i used a dc axleback from a 96-00 civic, custom bent piping, and now have a “straight” exhaust system, instead of the ridiculous oem setup

yea before the resonator went out it was SUPER quiet…but i think w/ the resonator going out and bottoming out it’s gotten louder. i’m just being stingy with the money with the car right now. but i’m going to start searching resonators. i think i’m going w/ a magnaflow resonator again, even though the cherry bomb was good it just didnt last long

If you’re planning on running the flowmaster without a catalytic converter i suggest you dont. The sound will be really loud. My friend had it on his lsvtec and it was loud. He also didnt have a resonator and it was all a 2 1/2 inch pipe. Maybe the one youre getting is an oe replacement that doesnt make much noise.

Edit: just saw a close up of your photo which looks to be an oe replacement.

that doesn’t sound like such a bad setup. I currently have a 91 GS , the exhaust is rusted beyond repair , i’m gonna have to sawzall all the bolts off hopefully i can still save the catalytic converter. I was almost tempted to go flea-bay exhaust but i dont want one of those fart can looking mufflers. if you have good luck with this setup, could you please post up some sound and fitment pics

I’m currently running that flowmaster axle back with a truck tip since the tip included in the kit broke at the welds of the clamp. Now idk if it’s because I have a 4dr or not but I had issues getting it to fit right. I ended up cutting, shortening the pipe, and rewelding the flange back onto the pipe of the flowmaster exhaust to make it fit, as well as welding the pipes to the muffler instead of using the clamps in the kit… You’ll also need bolts since the stock muffler had studs, and a donut gasket to fit inside the flange of the flowmaster exhaust. I also suggest if you weld it to paint it so it won’t rust at the welds.

But other then that I really love the sound of this exhaust, at least with the rest of the exhaust being stock. Not super loud until you’re on it, it’s pretty throaty so it’s not like the typical sound you get with honda’s, and it pops like a muscle car.

So I have it on and have driven it to work and back for a few days. The sound really isn’t bad at all. I had a fitment issue between the new aftermarket pipe aft of the cat and the flowmaster exhaust. But an exhaust gasket and some different bolts fixed it right up. It appears that I’m missing the exhaust hanger bolt that is above the rear wheel (not sure what happened to it) but the hanger to the side of the muffler holds everything okay. The tip isn’t aligned properly – I have to take it off again and maybe cut about an inch off the last turn of the pipe for it to fit exactly in the curve of the bumper.

I went ahead and got a $10 eBay tip silencer to see if it quiet things down just a tad bit more. I’m okay without it, but I think it’ll come in handy on longer trips. I will post pics after I get everything painted and aligned properly again, along with a sound video.

[QUOTE=N FUL FX;2328226]So I have it on and have driven it to work and back for a few days. The sound really isn’t bad at all. I had a fitment issue between the new aftermarket pipe aft of the cat and the flowmaster exhaust. But an exhaust gasket and some different bolts fixed it right up. It appears that I’m missing the exhaust hanger bolt that is above the rear wheel (not sure what happened to it) but the hanger to the side of the muffler holds everything okay. The tip isn’t aligned properly – I have to take it off again and maybe cut about an inch off the last turn of the pipe for it to fit exactly in the curve of the bumper.

I went ahead and got a $10 eBay tip silencer to see if it quiet things down just a tad bit more. I’m okay without it, but I think it’ll come in handy on longer trips. I will post pics after I get everything painted and aligned properly again, along with a sound video.[/QUOTE]

Please do! It’s so hard to find a setup you like; depending on what engine, exhaust, components, intakes, etc. And I’m picky as well, so I’m always listening for things. Can’t wait for pics and video! Glad things turned out well.

So I did take a video, but it’s of my old aftermarket muffler. I couldn’t believe what I heard when I took this thing off.

https://youtu.be/3-eCHlHpIbw

My flowmaster sounds like that Neil. Can’t beat the longevity of oem

My OEM muffler sounded like that too. That’s the main reason I put the flowmaster on.

Any ideas what the rattling could be?

I’m not 100% sure. In my case my head gasket was blown for a long time, so I just assumed the inside of the muffler was rusting and rotting away. Not sure what else the muffler would fill up with.

Wow sounds like charcoal in there!

Actually you’re right. I had a leaky headgasket so that’s gotta be it.

Here’s the video. Recording device was about 6 feet the rear of the car, same level.

https://youtu.be/1shKpmSCShY