Ls Vtec question

ok well ill make it simple…rod bearings worn out and went thru 2 sets do i need to recut my crank?

and what does it cost to recut the crank normally cost?

You should’ve had the crank repolished when you initially took the bearings out if they were bad allready. More then likely it sratched the crank journals as well as the rods if it was a spun bearing/bearings. And yes this is a forum but when a topic is discussed people hope that others will atleast try to find them before asking the same question. 90% of your questions are… what do you think? Is this a good setup? Should i go with this? All questions that if searched would be found. And no, we are not ganging up, just trying to help you understand the rules that you agreed to when ou became a member.

i understand and thank you…well this sucks about my crank so do u think the rods are gone as well or just get my crank polished or just get another crank?

I had a spun bearing and what i did was take the crank and rods to the machine shop, if u dont wanna buy new ones of either. Have them check both for clearance issues and see if larger bearings could be used and resurfacing both. if they can, i kept both and had em both resurfaced. if not, ull need to buy the one that cant be reused. but they have everything needed for that just ask em.

cool ill aks them thanx and oh yea jut wondering how to Vtec oile squirters look like?

umm… like little…

____|
\
||

… … …

Like that kinda… lol squirting up into the cylinders.

i got a friend that wants to sell me a ITR Crank and Rods what ya think about that over the Ls Crank and ROds will i lose HP or will i Gain?

And he also has a B20Z crank and its a bit cheaper than the ITR one. Will the B20Z crank fit to the Ls block i know that the B20 and ls are the same im just wondering that since its out of a B20z it may be diffrient.

any info will help

help

I’m not an expert on swapping out the cranks and rods but i’d look into the size of the rods and crank for each and see if its possible to see if you can do it. From what i know the rod lengths and ratio are different in the Type R motor and The LS motor. So im not sure if it would work, cant help you there. try searching for a similar swap and see what it did for them, never looked into it though. I’d figure changing something like the rods and crank u will be changing allot of things, may take some research before u decide to purchase it. good luck though.

The heck with it i just got a brand new Ls Crank so its all good lol but my next question is…i just added a Type R oil Pump and im planing on getting a Type R water pump as well…Just wondering wich timing belt i should get, i mean is all vtec timing belt the same or their a bit diff? And how much is a Type R Water pump normaly cost?

help anyone?

ok i found out how much the ITR water pump cost and all the question that need to know is the timming belt i know i use a vtec one with the vtec water pump but does it matter wich ones or is there such a thing as a diff. timing belts for all vtecs?

helloooooooooooooo :mad:

Dude we all can see ur a n00b. Im a n00b on these boards but definatley not a forum n00b.

People want you to do ur own research because there are so many options ur asking them to think for you.

I dont know alot about these b-series motors but from what i’ve read and researched from this forum, you are doing it all wrong.

(someone correct me if im wrong)

From what i understand a B18a1, B18b1 and any b20 (as compared to any other B series VTEC) have entirely different cranks, rods, pistons all designed to operate at different rpm ranges and have an entirely different powerband setup. Just because they are interchangeable doesnt mean they work well together.

You are adapting a VTEC cylinder head that was desinged for a different RPM range and any stock non-VTEC bottom end parts will break under load.

So if I were you my primary concern would be focusing on my engines weakest points, the LS bottom end. Some machine work on the block and VTEC designed bottom end internals is what i would be looking into.

If not i fear you’ll be in here every month debating if the stock B18A1 crankshaft will give you more HP than the B20z crank and who does a good block resleeving.

i see well i posted saying that i do have a ITR Crank and rods but slightly used but still really good condition. And im just wondering if this will work better in the ls vtec setup than the ls crank and rods and if the tq numbers will be diffirent…MY LS VTEC SETUP LIST…DRAG PORTED GSR HEAD AND PORT MATCH MANIFOLD, USDM ITR CAMS, TODA CAM GEARS, TODA TIMING BELT. ARP HEAD BOLTS AND STUDS, ITR OIL PUMP, ITR WATER PUMP, ITR OIL COOLANT, P73A0 PISTONS, ONE PEIACE DC HEADERS, CHIPED PR3 ECU, STAGE 2 CLUTCH WITH A STAGE 3 PRESSURE PLATE AND SKUNK 2 SHORT SHIFTER…Just for future ref.

Sorry for the Caps and the reason of reposting the specs of my motor is just in case if anyone wants to know what i have just to make sure im not going with a stock bottom end.

Well what im really trying to say is that if i waz to go with the ITR crank and rods will i loose that Torquey feeling of and LS.