Modding for Fuel Economy

turbonator? Are you referring to the flimsy piece of metal you place in the air intake?

yessir. im not sure if it works but thats what it says in the ad in a mag i saw

Yeah it’s junk.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1802932.html?page=2

Yeah, all of those are complete junk. Yet they make and sell a ton of them.

Steve

Here we go. I remember reading this a while back.

Honda Insight Aerodynamics
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enaero.html

Also here’s something on tires
http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-mileage-factors/low-resistance-tires.html

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143684&highlight=sway&page=12

damnz redheadpyromanic that’s the pics I was looking for.
Respect due to dave22 for rocking the mOOn disc!

As far as a valve adjustment goes, would you want the intake and exhaust clearances to be on the low end of the range or the high end of the range to achieve better fuel economy?

just by changing my driving habits this past week I went from 28mpg to 32mpg

this is on my 92 GSR (ys1 short geared tranny) with a bad o2 sensor and exhaust leak…

I just shifted before 3000rpm, never did more than 110kmh on the highway, coasted in neutral to stop lights/highway exits etc oh and I over inflated my tires by 2psi

I’m impressed

You mean you always used to shift AFTER 3k? Geez…

Acceleration from a stop to cruising speed is not going to make a significant difference in mileage; however, conservation of momentum is. The less braking you have to do (cornering and decelerating late at stops), the better mileage you will see. Also neutral coasting can be useful, and shifting quickly out of first gear can make a difference.

[QUOTE=Cynikal.Mindset;1877437]just by changing my driving habits this past week I went from 28mpg to 32mpg

this is on my 92 GSR (ys1 short geared tranny) with a bad o2 sensor and exhaust leak…

I just shifted before 3000rpm, never did more than 110kmh on the highway, coasted in neutral to stop lights/highway exits etc oh and I over inflated my tires by 2psi

I’m impressed[/QUOTE]

something must be wrong with my car then because i shift before 3k also and coast, and have over inflated tires and also drive way too conservative and i barely get 25mpg

I believe your valve adjustment and pcv valve are killin ya, i did these two maintenence items and noticed a HUGE difference :slight_smile: :rockon:

There could be a number of reasons you are getting bad mileage, What all have you done maintenance wise? Also driving conservative and conserving momentum are not the same thing.

a good tune up would help (valve adj., wires, plugs)… i got one almost a year ago (30k miles)…its almost time for another. That was when my dad was able to get 36 mpg. hasnt been the same lately.

when you guys say valve adjustment, is that the valve lash?

Yea, you also should look at your o2 sensor.

I’m working on my second tank of gas and will be doing my fixes this weekend for the second round of testing. Oil change, oil filter, air filter cleaning, spark plugs and tire inflation.

Steve

I adjusted my valves the other week (on the DA9) to quiet up the cylinder head as well as experiment with gas mileage. I adjusted them to the minimul reccomended tolerance (Intake = 0.08mm, Exhaust = .016mm) and I got about 250 miles to a tank city…hwy is around 350.

Tonight i’m adjusting them to maximum tolerance, Intake .12mm and Exhaust .20mm and see if that helps. I get 420miles to a tank on the DB1 and its an LS (heavier)…all stock with AC. Never got more than 400 on the DA9, and its an RS with NO a/c

Even so, if the DA/DB had a 13.2 gal fuel capacity and get around 400 miles per tank…that only works out to about 30mpg.(which is better than spec)…I dont see it would be possible to get 475miles out of a DA (36mpg)

Am i missing something?

keep in mind, both of my Integra’s have all of fuel/igintion (tune-up) completely done!

I believe the EPA ratings for the da9 are 25-27/29-31, but it is possible to get better economy than that.

If you’re driving on the highway a lot, I recommend lowering your car. I was getting around the EPA rating on the highway, then put the tokico hp suspension kit on, with the blue shocks. The kit lowered the car 1.25" all around, and now I’m getting about 33-34 on the highway. As a bonus, it handles way better than it used to. Plus, it actually rides comparably or better than the 180k mile blown stock suspension. No worries except for the cost. :rockon:

Also, around 170k the car started to misfire really bad, so that it would shake as it ran on 3 cyl. I replaced the plugs and then the wires (blue for the rice factor) and it cleared right up. So far it hasn’t misfired once since then.

Oil changes are also good for fuel economy, as well as reliability

Spark plugs are changed, tires are over inflated…but I didn’t make time to get my oil changed. Most likely Tuesday.

Steve