Modding for Fuel Economy

got 32 mpg just last week. consisted of 1 week normal driving and 1 week of “conservative” driving.

I don’t see how you guys are getting these high gas mileage ratings, I got 22mpg last tank. My valve adjustment must be off and my pcv valve must be messed up but i’m scared to mess with it because it might break inside the intake manifold. I’ve done every other possible maitenance except valve adjustment and pcv valve replacement.

ouch…22 mpg is quite low! I dont think i even get that low with city driving. this past week i got 377 mi on 11.8 gal (yea i was riding the red empty line for a good 30 miles with the fuel light on. Ive never driven so close to empty so i was doing 60-65 on the freeway, driving as safely as possible behind big rigs). I should mention my 'teg is an RS with manual windows and locks, no cruise control. I have and use a/c when i need to on the freeway.

a good tune up would do it, and i think getting the pcv system fixed as well as the valve adjustment would raise your mpg by at least 1-2…

how do you drive?

oh for this week i’ve inflated my tires from 30 psi to 35 psi (51 psi maximum). Gonna see how that affects it. then in approx 2k miles i’m in for another tune up.

edit: anybody know how much the air expands in terms of psi when the tire’s “warm/hot”? 35 shouldn’t reach 51 from just driving right. I know there is a trade off in traction and ride if you over-inflate.

i drive regular and all i can get is 250-270 miles a tank at 11gallons, I have my tires inflated to 37f 36r, i’ve just changed my cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires all NGK stuff and honda oem parts, along with denso oem o2 sensor, timing belt, water pump, flushed coolant, oil change is about 2k miles on it with royal purple synthetic, I shift around 3k and when i’m on the freeway i cruise at 65mph. I don’t know why i get crappy gas mileage and it’s killing me

Air filter & Fuel filter?

hm…carry a lot of stuff in the trunk?

is your alignment good?

something’s definitely weird, but everyone has different opinions of driving conservatively. lets just say that when i drive conservatively, people always switch lanes and pass me as i accelerate from a light, and I take my time getting to speed.

I focus more on throttle position rather than rpms, cause I think that has more of an affect on mpg than rpm. Seems like the mpg meter on my dad’s BMW relies on throttle rather than RPM. An example I like to think about is say you’re driving down hill from the mountains, and you’re using engine braking to control your speed and the throttle’s closed. It will not burn a lot of gas even though your engine is at say 3.5k rpm because your throttle is “closed”

edit: sorry for my lack of explanation and clarity…but i guess the farther down your pedal is, the more gas you burn regardless of what RPM or what gear you’re in.

I find 32 hard to believe for some reason. I’ve owned 3 DAs and my first two barely got better than 25 mpg. My current one the best was 28 mpg. The factory window sticker I have even says those are the numbers you are supposed to be getting. I drive like a granny, I accelerate slower than most people, I use neutral as much as I can, I don’t stay in 1st gear that long, I keep RPMs low as possible without lugging the engine…yet I get 28. I’m lowered about 2.5 inches, I have 205/40 tires on 16s, the car runs great…could use a new air filter and plugs/wires but not in desperate need. I always do my PCV valve ever 10k miles.

Air filter is the cleanable kind and I didn’t get the oil/cleaner for it. Fuel filter I’ll have to check pricing on. I’d like to do it as well.

Need to check the IACV as well…the to do list is growing. :frowning:

Steve

I’m at 29/30mpg currently…and my car is a POS.

Steve

Highway driving is a large part of my mileage. For long trips i also tend to travel late in the evening or late at night. Cooler air is more dense = more power, better mpg. Irvine is spread out, so even local streets have an average of 40-45 mph speed limit in my area. So I can cruise in 5th without much throttle.

I calculated city driving is 42% of the miles I drive.

believe it or not, I do not care. My wallet and my receipts know its true. :slight_smile: The worst I’ve gotten is 29 mpg. Engine wise, my car is stock except for a K&N Drop in and a removed resonator). Other than that I have the tokico illumina suspension kit. Running 15" 195/55-15 on LS Mesh, inflated to 30 psi at the time.

[QUOTE=BacardiBreezer;1880166] I drive like a granny, I accelerate slower than most people, I use neutral as much as I can, I don’t stay in 1st gear that long, I keep RPMs low as possible without lugging the engine…yet I get 28. QUOTE]

When you keep your car in neutral to “coast” the injectors stay open and are using fuel but, if you keep it in gear with your foot off the gas then the injectors aren’t open at all.

You should put the car in neutral and coast when going down hills and coming to a stop. I think that’s what he meant.

*Update - Added my current mods to the first post.

Steve

^thats what I do and exactly what I was referring to

I was getting 28mpg all winter long. i decided to change my driving style and take some tools out of the trunk.

i used to shift at 3000-3500rpms in every gear. and downshift to slow down. i started coasting to stops and braking and shifting no higher then 2,000rpms and just going really light on the throttle. i accelerate like an old lady, but i filled up today and did my calculations…36mpg. cost me nothing to make this improvement.

i also always fill up at half a tank, and it only cost me like $25 for two weeks of driving. i drive my DA a lot less since i got my CRX running.

See I’ve never shifted higher than 3k. Maybe once a month if I feel like getting on it, but you know. I shift around 2500 and won’t let it go under 1800 because then, or maybe closer to 1500, you’re lugging and can ruin your motor. I also quit going 75-80 on the highway and am sticking to 60-65 in the slow lane, hopefully it’ll help. Maybe I do more stop and go than you guys.

[QUOTE=k-series;1880202]You should put the car in neutral and coast when going down hills and coming to a stop. I think that’s what he meant.

*Update - Added my current mods to the first post.

Steve[/QUOTE]

No you shouldn’t put it in neutral, you should leave it in gear.

Brand new dry filter aem short ram intake, less than a month old, Brand new honda oem fuel filter also.

[QUOTE=ez12a;1880158]hm…carry a lot of stuff in the trunk?

is your alignment good?
Well i recently changed my car’s height so maybe the alignment is a tad off
something’s definitely weird, but everyone has different opinions of driving conservatively. lets just say that when i drive conservatively, people always switch lanes and pass me as i accelerate from a light, and I take my time getting to speed.

I focus more on throttle position rather than rpms, cause I think that has more of an affect on mpg than rpm. Seems like the mpg meter on my dad’s BMW relies on throttle rather than RPM. An example I like to think about is say you’re driving down hill from the mountains, and you’re using engine braking to control your speed and the throttle’s closed. It will not burn a lot of gas even though your engine is at say 3.5k rpm because your throttle is “closed”

edit: sorry for my lack of explanation and clarity…but i guess the farther down your pedal is, the more gas you burn regardless of what RPM or what gear you’re in.[/QUOTE]
My conservative driving consist of many people switching lanes to get ahead of me, and i’m never doing above 40mph anywhere. I’m going to get another alignment soon, get valve adjustment, and maybe attempt to change the pcv valve

It’s a trade off, and here’s why: Coasting in gear vs. neutral (fuel cut feature) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

I can coast in neutral from 60mph for lets say 1000’, if I was in gear…I’d go maybe 400/500 before the gearing would slow me down and I’d be back on the gas. Rinse and repeat and you’re using gas when accelerating. So the real question is how long are you coasting for and how is your car geared…

I’m going to say DA’s would be benefit from neutral coasting compared to a 6spd or higher geared car. IMO.

Steve

Those fuel efficiency numbers are just averages anyway. It’s quite normal to see numbers higher and lower than that.

Check the fine print below the big numbers.

http://john1701a.com/prius/images/Prius_WindowSticker_classic.jpg

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/buying_a_car/images/EPA_SAMPLE_MILEAGE_LABEL.jpg

K-series: Thanks for that link to that site. I didn’t know such a community existed. :up:

There are guys nowadays with switches on their injectors so that they can manually shut them off while the key is in run.