New Battery brace

Maybe some of you were lucky to purchase these aluminum battery braces back in the early 00s. I still have mine from back then. I modeled up a copy for a 3D print using ABS and I’m very pleased with the result. I believe this prototype could use some tweaks, but I’m gonna run in for about a week in the car and see how it works out. Stay tuned here for updates.

5 Likes

Where does this mount? Is it the same as a battery tie down?

Yup. I’m going to install it tomorrow.

1 Like

I would be willing to buy one. Mine is peeling and is rusted up.

I decided to paint it with some filling primer first because it was rough on one side due to the printing process, and sanding didn’t do enough.

The reinforced area by the tie down may be too thick because I barely had enough metal to attach the screw after I used some nylon washers. All part of the process of figuring it out.

I need to measure the dimensions of the battery too. I think this is a group 51 but the OEM ones were bigger.

No issues after a couple hundred miles. I think I will reduce the boss thickness but this should he good to go.

This prototype model just had a few layers of etching primer. No final coat.

If you are interested, reply here.

4 Likes

Def interested in one

1 Like

Interested

I’m figuring out if I should keep a bunch of these on hand of have them printed on demand. I’d recommend everyone check their battery width and have it available. I’ll post dimensions ASAP.

1 Like

Emailed you back…

My battery is about 9 1/4" wide

1 Like

I’m interested. I also have the 51 from interstate Costco …

1 Like

I’d be interested in one for sure!

1 Like

I was away on work travel this past week. Hope to finalize plans this week so we can get some pricing.

I sent version 2 to the person doing the 3D printing for an assessment. I’m hoping it will be a usable file and he’ll do a test print. I’ll get the as-printed dimensions and post it once received.

3 Likes

I made an error above with the battery sizing:

I have a group 51 battery, and this brace is on it (although it did work fine on the OEM size group 25 when I first purchased the metal brace that this 3D-printed one is based off of).

GROUP 25
9.0625’’ x 6.9375’’ x 8.875’’ Inches
230 x 175 x 225 Millimeters

GROUP 51
9.375’’ x 5.0625’’ x 8.75’’ Inches
238 x 129 x 223 Millimeters

1 Like

I received instructions on how to improve/strengthen the design. I’ll create a new model and post pictures ASAP. (Sorry for the delay, I have been having awful allergic reactions to . . . well nature.)

1 Like

The brace will accommodate a battery with a length of 238mm.

It can support group 51 and group 25 batteries as long as they are built to specifications (see post above)

1 Like

I changed it again to chamfers instead of fillets (may make the 3D printing easier). Another prototype will be ordered this week. If this goes well, I’ll order 10 and make them available on the G2IC store. Current estimate for price will be $40-$60 shipped.

3 Likes

Looks good :+1:

1 Like