New Battery brace

Version 3 (above) prototype was ordered at the printer today. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Here’s one of the shots from the printer. It should have it by next week for a fitment check. I did it in red this time for more horsepower gains.

4 Likes

This latest version arrives Monday.

2 Likes

They arrived today!

New issue though. While it is much more sturdy, there is now less room to mount it via the J hooks. I have aftermarket J hooks. Can you please measure your J hooks from the top to where the bend at the J is? Reply to this thread.
This may also make a difference to those who have the stock battery size.

I’ll choose a dimension that works for everyone and then reduce the boss size. I don’t think I’ll have to prototype it again; it’ll be ready for production. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is the OEM J hook. 8in / 200mm. Seems like an 8.5 or 9 -inch would be better, or I’d have to reduce the reinforcement. I’ll look up options for J hook replacement.

I found a set that is 8.875in that arrives on Wed. I’ll report results.

Received the J hooks today. Looks like these would work. I was not able to install on car. Will post pix when I do.

New hardware makes a difference and it doesn’t hit the hood. I will give the option to include these with the price of the brace. I adjusted the angle of the boss so it matches the angle of the J hook. I think we’re good to go!

I will talk with the printer and preorder 10. I’ll figure out pricing and post them on the G2IC store page. Remember that all funds go to keep the site going – I don’t make any profit on this personally. Thanks for your support and patience!

(I’ll probably just order all black unless someone asks for a different color)

3 Likes

Just a small update.

I ordered some clear caps for the top of the J hooks. I’m also looking into flanged nuts instead of these regular ones to complete the OEM look.

2 Likes

Submitted to printer. Ordered flange nuts.

2 Likes

Turns out I need a new battery and Costco Interstate discontinued the group 51. Here are some others that a similar in size in case anyone is looking for options besides the bigger Group 25.

It appears that the terminals can be reversed on these even without the “R” designator. The Group 51 and 25 state that the positive is “top left”, so verify this if you’re looking online.

Group L W H (mm)
51 238 129 223 (Search for 1989 Acura Integra in stores)
45 240 140 227 (Not a popular battery type - indeterminate pos location)
55 218 154 212 (indeterminate pos location)
62 225 162 225 (Not a popular battery type - indeterminate pos location)
86 230 173 203 (1990 Mistubishi Eclipse base)
25 230 175 225 (OEM)

I was able to obtain some group 51s from another Costco so I grabbed two. At least I’ll be good for another 3 years. Geez.

If you would like to purchase one, please reply or you can wait for me to post them available on the store. $40 + shipping (+optional $5 for hardware set). All profits go towards keeping G2IC online.

New hardware set: J hooks, flanged nuts, nylon washers, nylon caps. Depending on your hood angle, you may need to cut the J hooks.

Latest installed pix:

1 Like

That looks good. I’ll take one with the hardware set.

I added them to the store. I’m putting in an order for 5 at the printer. Once they arrive, I’ll enable the “stock” so they’ll be ready for purchase.

1 Like

Packages got delayed. I’ll update with information as I get them.

G2IC members will get first notification of in-stock status for purchasing (vs Instagram and Facebook)

G2IC members can place their order here. This link is NOT shared with Instagram or Facebook, so please do not post elsewhere.

First batch will be shipped 18 May. If I get too many orders, there will be a delay of 1-2 weeks before the next batch, but yours will still be mailed before IG or FB users. IG and FB users will be notified ~15 May.

Thanks for your patience!