No intake with a turbo setup?

I am having trouble understanding this. I have a 91 Talon Tsi and it has an air filter and an intake to the turbo. I am going to bost my integra now but I dont understand, all the pics I have seen done have any airfilter. Do the tegs just keep burning the same air over and over?

In my integra there is not enough room to add an airfilter and charge pipe to the turbo inlet. I just run it open turbo.

same here … its not the be idea inthe world, i am just careful

They should have filters and an intake charge pipe going to the turbo. Either people can’t fit the filter in, or think it’s ok since everyone else doesn’t use a filter. Its even more important to have a filter on a turbo than it is to have one on a NA motor. For on reason, the turbo has a huge appetite for air…which means you’re getting that much more dirt too, second…you don’t want a large object to get into the turbo and hit the turbine that is spinning at +80,000RPM…that would be bad

If you can’t fit a filter in, atleast get some stainless steel screen (like that used on screen doors) and secure it over the turbo inlet with a hose clamp. But you really should consider every possibility to fit a real filter in there…

I have had the same problem.

I tried a charge pipe out of bendable exhaust piping with a generic filter. very restrictive so I took it off.
I had a new HKS filter element (green) so I wrapped it over a silicone coupline and clamped it on to the turbo and its working fine.

I definitely lost low end throttle response but its worth it for piece of mind. I don’t wanna end up rebuilding the turbo every 6 months.

for the drag strip I will run open turbo but not on the streets

you should still use mesh to act as a backing against the foam element, otherwise your turbo could very well ingest it.

Re: No intake with a turbo setup?

Originally posted by accent_ac
I am having trouble understanding this. I have a 91 Talon Tsi and it has an air filter and an intake to the turbo. I am going to bost my integra now but I dont understand, all the pics I have seen done have any airfilter. Do the tegs just keep burning the same air over and over?

you guys didn’t really read his post. He thinks that the same air keeps recurculating in the motor. what you dont realize accent_ac is the turbo sucks in air. your intake on your talon isn’t responsible for sucking in the air, the turbo does that, well, rather the motor does. You don’t need an “intake” to take in air.

Originally posted by qwkteg125
you should still use mesh to act as a backing against the foam element, otherwise your turbo could very well ingest it.

good idea. I will do that.

Ian