Oil Catch Can Set Ups

Hey guys I just got my car all together back up and running, and I put an oil catch can set up on. Well I have the 2 bungs off the back of the VC going to the catch can which was located close to where the OEM battery sits. I checked it the other day and it was FULL of oil, I dont have it draining back in unfortunately :/. But I was wondering If anyone else with a DA has a better place to put the catch can, I know it has to be higher than the motor but it is very difficult to do in such a tight bay. Thanks

Is there a baffle in the valve cover at the fittings to stop oil from draining? It shouldn’t fill up that quick.

Baffle is in the front of a B series VC. Not the back. Thats where your bungs need to be. Also what size are your catch can lines? Smaller the line=more oil in catch can.

your going to allways fill the can with oil on a boosted car if there are no drian back lines.you need to vent the block also from the back and get a better catch can that has bungs low enough to drain back the oil after the car is off.there are no good places to put one in the da bay …check my engine bay pics from my thread in this section i made my own…

it has baffles and has 2 -10 bungs on the very bottem for drain back.

^I’ve got mine in the same spot with two -10 bungs to the valvecover and two draining back into the block. Here’s a pic to give you an idea of how it’s hooked up:

Heres my setup. of course this isnt really the ideal spot for most DA’s but it was the only spot I really had. its designed for 2 ports on the VC and 1 for the engine block. I decided against a drain back system after talking to a couple of knowledgeable people on this subject. its not just oil vapors that are being collected. its also collects any blow by and I didnt want to be draining those contaminants back into my oil so I just added an extra bung at the bottom for draining

heres a couple of pics during the building of it. there are more pics and theory behind it in my build thread.

Thumbs up for custom fabrication… I always love your creations!

An OEM b-series valve cover has baffles in the intake AND exhaust side, IIRC. You can use either/both sides, whichever works for where you’re locating the actual can.

[QUOTE=BLKACK1;2271604]Heres my setup. of course this isnt really the ideal spot for most DA’s but it was the only spot I really had. its designed for 2 ports on the VC and 1 for the engine block. I decided against a drain back system after talking to a couple of knowledgeable people on this subject. its not just oil vapors that are being collected. its also collects any blow by and I didnt want to be draining those contaminants back into my oil so I just added an extra bung at the bottom for draining

heres a couple of pics during the building of it. there are more pics and theory behind it in my build thread.

[/QUOTE]

just be sure to check your oil after every pass and to drain your catch can …

I use the same location as a few of you as posted. I have 2 drains from the valve cover and 2 from the back of the block. I use the drainback feature as I change my oil CONSTSTANTLY. literally I think I change it every 500 miles. I think but that is my reasoning why I do it. I dont mind the nasty stuff that is in the catch can to drain back. if you dont change your oil consitantly like I do, I would advise from the drainback feature. I witnessed my catch can filling after every run, so that is why I resulted to this option. some of you might not have that problem but just a idea if any of you are thinking of doing it

[QUOTE=92notec;2271059]^I’ve got mine in the same spot with two -10 bungs to the valvecover and two draining back into the block. Here’s a pic to give you an idea of how it’s hooked up:

[/QUOTE]

off topic but wow this car is just sexy as hell!!

Thanks for the kind words. :hugs:

I, like many before me, had problems with block fittings causing the catch can to overflow, so I went with the drainback feature. There is just too much oil flow in the area of those ports on a high horsepower car not to allow the oil to drain back into the engine. I also change my oil roughly every 500 miles (once a year, lol) so I’m not worried about contamination. If anyone lacks fabrication skills (like me) and wants a nice catch can that will fit in the area that mine is mounted, I highly recommend contacting Neukin for theirs. I liked their design but wanted a few changes made and they were willing to incorporate my MSPaint alterations into the final product. :stuck_out_tongue: Instead of two -10an ports and a -6an drain, I had them weld on four -10an ports and I later added a 1/4npt drain port myself, since it ended up that there was still a layer of drainable crud that would collect in the bottom of the can. Here is a link to the “stock” catch can that I had them modify: http://www.neukin.com/Oil_Catch_Can_p/oilcatchcan_r.htm

And here’s another pic of the catch can when I was mocking everything up:

I see that it appears you removed the stock vacuum/vent fitting from the valvecover? Did you just heat it up and pull it out, or…?

I tried heating and tugging on mine and it didn’t seem like it wanted to come out.

Nice observation!

It’s pretty easy to remove. All you have to do is insert a bolt or rod that is approximately the same as the inside diameter of the tube. Then just clamp a vise grip to it and twist/pull it out. It takes a bit of effort, but it’ll eventually slide right out. Then I just tapped the hole for 1/8npt and used an allen plug.

[QUOTE=unified112;2271616]Thumbs up for custom fabrication… I always love your creations!

An OEM b-series valve cover has baffles in the intake AND exhaust side, IIRC. You can use either/both sides, whichever works for where you’re locating the actual can.[/QUOTE]

I was just skimming back through the page and wanted to correct this. A B-series vtec (not sure about non-vtec) valve cover is only baffled on the exhaust side, NOT the intake side.

[QUOTE=92notec;2271663]

[/QUOTE]

Is this not Evap canister friendly?? And you’re not running one?

I wouldn’t think so, but I’m not sure because I removed all that stuff almost ten years ago, lol.

Heres mine it has two -10AN hoses from the valve cover and two -10AN hoses draining/venting the two ports on the rear of the block.