oil light problem....Dimming light

I have a 91 integra, b18a1 stock motor. My oil light is on but not fully on, it just dim to where you can only see it at night but not during the day. I have search but i haven’t really found anything use full. I change the oil to see if maybe my oil filter was bad but that didn’t do anything and i did check to see if i had any metal shavings but nothing. I replace my oil sender sensor but that didn’t do anything too. I have been trying to find a ICU at the junk but no luck so far. But the funny thing about the oil light dimming is that when i come to a stop the light gets darker and when i start driving or rev the engine it will get brighter again but it will never turn on. Also when i turn on the signal lights the oil light will get darker and brighter. I open the oil cap while the car was running to see if oil is getting to the top of my motor and oil was getting up there no problem…anyone know how to fix this dimming oil lights problem…please help

Could be your oil pump taking a poop. When your driving and the pressure should be up its actually not and the lights coming on.

well i was thinking it was my oil pump but wouldn’t the light just turn on instead of being dim and i am still getting oil to the top of my motor too…

Your not getting enough oil presser so the light is coming on. Why its only dimming is because it works off said presser.

Y ou by chance did not change you dash light blubs to led one did you? As I have heard that kind of does what you are saying that happing with your light. If not i think I would change my icu first it pretty eazy then if it not it then I would say the oil pump. Let us know what happens if you need a icu I have them for sale too let me know best of luck

check this out, hopefully it helps.
http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?194646-oil-light-on-but-theres-oil-on-the-stick-need-help&highlight=oil+light+on

no the bulb is the stock one and the oil light is NOT ON it is just dimming and its not that bright and it would just get a little brighter if i turn on the signal lights on and it will just make it a little bit brighter but not to where it will turn on

i had the same problem last year. I replace my oil pressure sensor still did not worked. So i rebuilt my whole motor and changed my oil pump and checked everything still the same light comes on dim while on idle and goes off while driving. so i checked the wiring from the ecu to the engine wiring i found the problem its the wire that goes to your ecu sometimes gets old and your ecu could not read it. so i went to the junkyard after and found engine wiring harness uncut and installed it and the oil pressure light is gone.

check the wiring’s
check if your connections are loose or broken etc.

hope this helps.

so why did you have to rebuild your motor

well i rebuilt it thinking that my motor has about 190k miles and needed a new oil pump. but i`m glad i rebuilt it because it needed new piston rings, rod bearings head gasket and new water pump. also i was thinking of building my ls-vtec but out of budget. i spent about almost 600 bucks for everything. re decked the block re surfaced the head and micropolish the crank etc. I had to make sure my motor is in hella good condition. :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

so does anyone have any other idea on what the problem could be

Are you just not liking the answers you’re getting, or…?

The oil light should not be illuminated at all when driving… if you say you can ‘barely’ see it and that it gets ‘brighter when turning on the lights’, then guess what? The light is technically On. So there is something out of wack. It would either be your pressure sending unit, or the wiring from the unit to the ecu… or quite possibly a ground issue.

Saying that the light is ‘not on’ is obviously not true, as it apparently is on. It may not be illuminated to its brightest potential, but if it is illuminated at all, then something is going on.

[QUOTE=unified112;2168326]Are you just not liking the answers you’re getting, or…?

The oil light should not be illuminated at all when driving… if you say you can ‘barely’ see it and that it gets ‘brighter when turning on the lights’, then guess what? The light is technically On. So there is something out of wack. It would either be your pressure sending unit, or the wiring from the unit to the ecu… or quite possibly a ground issue.

Saying that the light is ‘not on’ is obviously not true, as it apparently is on. It may not be illuminated to its brightest potential, but if it is illuminated at all, then something is going on.[/QUOTE]

its not that i am not liking the answer that i am getting, i have been trying to replace and fix all the things that can cause the oil light to turn on. I have replace the oil sender sensor, change oil filter, change icu (i did check the circuit board inside and it was ok), i am now in the process of checking the wire harness and the oil pump will be my last option because that seems to be the hardest to do. An when you see the dim light you will know that there is a difference between the dim and a fully on oil light unless a dim light does mean a fully turn on light…which i never knew about but another reason why i keep on asking questions is just for future searching purpose so i hope you guys will understand:naughty:

[QUOTE=91TegFreak;2167895]i had the same problem last year. I replace my oil pressure sensor still did not worked. So i rebuilt my whole motor and changed my oil pump and checked everything still the same light comes on dim while on idle and goes off while driving. so i checked the wiring from the ecu to the engine wiring i found the problem its the wire that goes to your ecu sometimes gets old and your ecu could not read it. so i went to the junkyard after and found engine wiring harness uncut and installed it and the oil pressure light is gone.

check the wiring’s
check if your connections are loose or broken etc.

hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

By any chance anyone know what color wires for the oil light and oil sender sensor at the ecu

I understand what you are saying… But really… The light is not supposed to be on at ALL. So if it is even the slightest bit dim, then that is considered On.

Well my buddies oil light was on on his LS motor. He tried everything. Swapped out his oil pump and lights off, also he’s seeing good pressure now from his gauge.
Worth looking into.

alright guys, i will put a oil pressure gauge on my car to see what happens. But do you guys think i should look into my ICU too?

ok just a little update. I hooked up a oil pressure gauge and it reads 30psi at idle and 95psi when i am on the gas so does these numbers look good cause if they do then my next step is to replace the ICU which i didn’t know that there were at least three different kind. (correct me if i am wrong) I also check my wire harness connecting to my ECU and they look good. By the way when i disconnect my OEM oil pressure sender sensor plug the oil light didn’t come on. Is that normal?:think: So now i know my oil pump is fine, any other clues?

o yea forgot but while the oil sender sensor plug wasn’t plug in, the oil light was still dimming so i guess this is a electrical problem then…right or wrong?

i guess everyone is clueless on this problem just like me too huh