Picked up some GM Synchromesh Tranny Fluid yesterday...

can we use this thing for Auto Tranny ???

Originally posted by aerohit
can we use this thing for Auto Tranny ???

No… get ATF for automatics.

no i mean can we use GM ATF

And what’s wrong with Honda ATF? Your torque convertor grinding?

Bruno

why would you even want to buy anything Domestic over aynthing Honda? C’mon man, Honda’s shit lasts longer for a reason.

Yeah scooby, but I hear from alot of people that GM oils are awesome. I can’t wait for this grind to get out of here. JonsteR, should I refrain from shifting above 4k (so it doesn’t grind) in the meantime? I REALLY hope you are right about it taking some time, I want that grind OUT OF THERE MISTER!

And to the guy who asked where to get it, GM dealerships are your friend!

I’ve been reading all about the MTF fluids and recently changed my fluids on my crx cause I changed both axles. I put in Honda MTF and it took away the nasty grind it had in first gear… that lasted for about a week. I will get the GM Synchromesh F.M. tomorrow and swap out the fluids this friday. I’ll let you know all know how it pans out.

Symptoms on the CRX are just what it sounds like is a slight grind in first gear and a little in second…

Damn, I am glad I decided to do a search…I would have never thought to try another fluid (GM) . Is it hard to change the fluid out…?
I don’t beleive my 5 spd has ever been changed as long as I have had her. 205,000 miles, I suppose it’s about time huh.
I have the same 3rd gear grind and sometimes 4th.

Originally posted by ncollini
Damn, I am glad I decided to do a search…I would have never thought to try another fluid (GM) . Is it hard to change the fluid out…?
I don’t beleive my 5 spd has ever been changed as long as I have had her. 205,000 miles, I suppose it’s about time huh.
I have the same 3rd gear grind and sometimes 4th.

Well, I’m sure everyone will say it is easy. Me and my Dad did my tranny, and it really wasn’t that tough. The hardest part was getting the filler and drain bolts off. He chewed up the filler bolt a little bit by using a wrench that was slightly too large. We had the car already on jackstands from changing the oil, so while it was up we loosened the bolts some. Then we put the oil collector under the drain bolt and lowered the car down. I unscrewed it, and it all cam pouring out. After letting it drain for 5 minutes, I got my dad to pour in a little MTF into the funnel that I was guiding into the filler hole. We let that drain out some, then put the drain bolt back in. We filler her up, put on the filler bolt, and we were done! Just make sure the car is level dude. Also, loosen the filler bolt first in case you can’t get the drain bolt. Otherwise you may have a tranny with no fluid in it so you can’t go somewhere to get help. I didn’t get the Friction Modified Synchromesh, so I don’t know how good it works. The regular stuff has improved my tranny some, made it 50% better. Good luck dude.

Oh, and BTW, this was my first time really working on a car ever. It feels good!!!

Do you or anyone else have any pics of the bolts I need to loosen…?
Why does the car need to be level…?
Where do I put the fluid in at (where is the filler hole)?
How much fluid is necessary to do the job…? (3 quarts)

I havent looked yet, Is it in an obvious place…?
Thanks

Originally posted by ncollini
[B]Do you or anyone else have any pics of the bolts I need to loosen…?
Why does the car need to be level…?
Where do I put the fluid in at (where is the filler hole)?
How much fluid is necessary to do the job…? (3 quarts)

I havent looked yet, Is it in an obvious place…?
Thanks [/B]

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=301

article says it’s for g3, but it’s exactly same in g2

car needs to be level so you make sure you are filling it up and not only halfway before it comes pouring out…

wait til around 6 pm tonight. I take some pics as I add some more fluid to my crx… I added some to it on friday but I think I may need to add a little more. I forgot how much goes in the integra. I will check the manual again. It took away most of the grinding but it’s comming back. I think I didn’t add enough cause the car didn’t seem too leveled and I didn’t get the right amount in there…

I still don’t understand why the car must be level…is there a dipstick or some way to check the internal level…?

It won’t matter too much if the car isn’t level just try to get it level. The car would have to be very unlevel for there to be a problem.

Look at it this way. Your oil cap is on the top of the motor so it doesn’t matter if the car is level or not. You just add 4 quarts and your done. BUT the tranny filler hole is on the side of the tranny and you have to fill it up to the hole for it to be full. You know it’s full because fluid will run out the hole. If your car is leaning to the right then it will look like it’s full before it actually is.

Most likely you will have the front or front right jacked up which means all you can do it put in a little too much fluid or get it about right.

I can’t do it today… have to have dinner with my family… I’ll have to get it done tomorrow. And I believe that if the rear is tilted higher you can put more fluid in there. Cause the drain is towards the front and the fill is towards the rear.

If you have a grinding tranny, synthetic gear oil is the way to go. I used to drive a turbo Eclipse, and the trannys in those cars are NOTORIOUS for shifting crappy- grinding, etc.

I changed my fluid out for Redline MTL, and it made a HUGE difference. I would recommend trying it. B+G Synchroshift also has a very good reputation. DSMers swear by it, with good reason.

Ryan

Originally posted by VTEC91
[B]If you have a grinding tranny, synthetic gear oil is the way to go. I used to drive a turbo Eclipse, and the trannys in those cars are NOTORIOUS for shifting crappy- grinding, etc.

I changed my fluid out for Redline MTL, and it made a HUGE difference. I would recommend trying it. B+G Synchroshift also has a very good reputation. DSMers swear by it, with good reason.

Ryan [/B]

i’m using b&M synthetic gear oil 75w-90 and still have grinds in my 2nd gear… downshifting to 3rd is hard to put into gear… it is a jdm j1 tranny supposed to have about 40k miles on it now… anybody know the oil weight on redline mtl, b+g synchroshift, and gm synchromesh?

Originally posted by gTIntegra
i’m using b&M synthetic gear oil 75w-90 and still have grinds in my 2nd gear… downshifting to 3rd is hard to put into gear… it is a jdm j1 tranny supposed to have about 40k miles on it now… anybody know the oil weight on redline mtl, b+g synchroshift, and gm synchromesh?

75W90??? That almost sounds like something that would CAUSE the problems you’re describing…

So what is the verdict on GM Synchromesh Tranny Fluid. Is it the better choice than redline or hondas mtl…?
Please make suggestions.