Power Steering Pump Rebuild?

Is it possible to rebuild the power steering pump? I have a pretty good idea where mine is leaking from. There’s a lot of gaskets in that badboy. Right now I’m using Romanz’ pump because he has his P/S disconnected. But the pulley on his wobbles like crazy… but it doesn’t leak.

We tried to put the pully from mine onto his but the bolt was on there too tight. (reverse thread too!)

Suggestions?

The Helm’s has a detailed how-to on rebuilding a power steering pump but it looks like a pain in the butt. If you know what seal is leaking by looking at the Helm’s diagrams and your pump, you can just purchase those seals. I think it may be cheaper/easier just to buy someone else’s, provided you know it works.

I have two for sale since my old engine had one, and my new engine had one and my car no longer has one.

If it’s just the seal right behind the pulley, that one’s pretty easy to change. Mine was leaking out of there, and then the fluid would work its way to the edge of the pulley and spray my hood. grr

Anyways, changed the seal, and it works just fine now. haven’t had to add fluid since.

I’m not going to buy another used one because it’s going to be inevitable that it will leak also.

I didn’t know about the rebuilding in the helm’s manual, I’ll have to check that out. :wink:

well if you give up I have one you can buy… Its pretty good, no leaks or anything. $40+shipping.

Nickl13@aol.com

Thanks for the offer :wink: I’ll hit you up if I give up on that lol

Originally posted by mojoGSR92
I have two for sale since my old engine had one, and my new engine had one and my car no longer has one.
Hook me up yo! Have you taken out the hardlines as well? I need that crap if you wanna get rid of it. Email me if you want to work something out.

I finished installing the new gaskets for the PS Pump but it seems that whenever I tighten the bolts to spec and spin the pulley, it is VERY tough in comparison to the stock. When I loosen the bolts it spins normally. But I can’t leave those loose for obvious reasons.

Some kind of vacuum pressure or something? Why the HELL is this happening?!?!?

Neil, is it hard to turn when it’s hooked up to the lines? or just when it’s pumpin air? If it’s hooked up to the lines, I think it would take a fair bit of effort to turn.

When you installed the seals, did you coat them with PS fluid so they’re lubricated?

It’s hard to turn when it’s hooked up and when it’s just pumping air.

I compared it to G2Roman’s PS pump and it spins a lot more freely compared to mine.

I coated the seals properly.

Where you get the seals from Neil or anyone elsethats on the to do list.

Im pretty sure mine is coming from behind the pulley i have the same problem with it going all over the hood aswell.

acuraautomotiveparts.org

Well someone dug this thread up…

Neil how tough was it to do this? And did it ever go okay?

florduhdude there is a meet the 20th at Tower Shops in Davie check the meetings board for more info. :smiley:

Had to plug that in…now back to the power steering. One of my belts snapped a few days ago and my mechanic said it was probably from the power steering fluid weaking the belts. So keep an eye on that. I need to fix mine asap.

Neilster,

part #'s for the rebuild (seals and gaskets)

91201-pc1-003
91302-pc1-003
91302-pk1-003
91303-pc1-003
91322-pc1-003
91312-pc9-004 qty 2

Honda techs do these quite a bit man… go for it.:wink:

The rebuild is super easy, the pump is held together with a few bolts and that’s it really. Cleaning up everything is what takes a while.

Thanks for the info on the meet, I don’t think I will be able to make it this month, got a lot goin on right now…

Are you supposed to seat the seal (pulley seal) all the way to the matting surface? There is a hole near the bottom. Is that supposed to be covered or does the seal sit above the hole??

Originally posted by FAMILYG2
[B]Neilster,

part #'s for the rebuild

91201-pc1-003
91302-pc1-003
91302-pk1-003
91303-pc1-003
91322-pc1-003
91312-pc9-004 qty 2

Honda techs do these quite a bit man… go for it.:wink: [/B]

I still need to get Burt my old pump.

neal i have an extra pump i will give you if you pay fpr shipping let me know it should not be more that 15$ to ship .

I don’t remember if the seal covers that hole or not, I just pushed the seal in to the same depth as the old one.