Pro's and Con's of LS/V and GSR Motor's

it might just be easier to source a hydro tranny and run the cable conversion kit. that’s always an option.

Either way, I don’t like the LS 5th gear. get the p72 gs-r 5th gear. much much better

look i was in your same situation… college student… on a budget… want to mod my car but have to be carefull because its my only car and i need a reliable car to get to work and school… BUY A GSR engine… simple as that. ls vtec you have to buy all this stuff to renforce it so it wont blow up… because THEY DO BLOW UP MORE THAN HALF THE TIME… then you still have to pay about 300 to get it tuned… and the list just goes on… dont waste your time. simply save your self the headache… and buy a gsr engine. it will be nice and quick… have honda factory reliability… use a stock ecu so u wont have to tune it… and you can still pass a smog test… you can even get it BARD… =) its a no brainer… get the gsr man… :rockon: i have a jdm gsr and i SMASH on ls vtecs ALL DAY!.. i was suppose to race a friend last week with his “NEW LSVTEC”… and guess what… it blew up on the way to the track lol… sucks good luck :rockon: check out my build thread!!!

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194601

bump

[QUOTE=billys_da_integ;2102072]look i was in your same situation… college student… on a budget… want to mod my car but have to be carefull because its my only car and i need a reliable car to get to work and school… BUY A GSR engine… simple as that. ls vtec you have to buy all this stuff to renforce it so it wont blow up… because THEY DO BLOW UP MORE THAN HALF THE TIME… then you still have to pay about 300 to get it tuned… and the list just goes on… dont waste your time. simply save your self the headache… and buy a gsr engine. it will be nice and quick… have honda factory reliability… use a stock ecu so u wont have to tune it… and you can still pass a smog test… you can even get it BARD… =) its a no brainer… get the gsr man… :rockon: i have a jdm gsr and i SMASH on ls vtecs ALL DAY!.. i was suppose to race a friend last week with his “NEW LSVTEC”… and guess what… it blew up on the way to the track lol… sucks good luck :rockon: check out my build thread!!!

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194601[/QUOTE]

You sound like such a tool.

gl i wana do a b17 build for ma 92 ls from ground up but for now im throwing ina a ls and gona build it over the next year or so so i plan on the motor coming out in 2011 i dnt race just want to have it in there

Ls/vtec is reliable as it is built right andnot half assed. I have confidence in my engine builder. He has done multiple ls/v setups. I’m doin ls/v.

[QUOTE=viprtwo;2101742]it might just be easier to source a hydro tranny and run the cable conversion kit. that’s always an option.

Either way, I don’t like the LS 5th gear. get the p72 gs-r 5th gear. much much better[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you like the ls 5th gear?

downshifting to 4th on the fwy sucks ass

upshifting to 5th under performance driving conditions sucks more ass

p72 5th gear with the 4.9 final drive is almost the same thing as a b16 5th gear with 4.4

[QUOTE=viprtwo;2102417]downshifting to 4th on the fwy sucks ass

upshifting to 5th under performance driving conditions sucks more ass

p72 5th gear with the 4.9 final drive is almost the same thing as a b16 5th gear with 4.4[/QUOTE]

yeah I could see that but as far as performance, I shouldn’t be shifting into 5th under performance driving because this is my daily. I can handle 4k rpm on the freeway but for me that’s 80 mph which is what I constantly drive on the freeway. Anything above that I hate plus it just puts more strain on the motor. My buddy has a 00 Si and at 80 mph he is around 4500 rpm and its just not a fun feeling being in his car like that. I hate it. If I’m running 80 with the p72 5th, how many rpm’s am I gonna be turning?

you can find gsr motors for around $1200, maybe not with a trans but i saw a full gsr swap with vin for $1200 with out trans but hey its still hella cheap

you got cheap deals on the head and block, but this all seems like you will spend a lot more to piece everything together

i dont know if you can get what you expected

i dont know if you already started the build , if i were you i would just sell everything you have now, as you said you can make some cash. i would use what you have to buy a jdm full gsr swap, you have the reliability as a daily gas saver, later on when you get money you can put cams , cams gears , springs …etc, get it tuned, you will be looking at 200 whp within $3500, i dont know how much you wanted to spend , but a low mileage jdm gsr with cams, bolt ones, you will have a nice daily that will last you a decade

I don’t have that block anymore and my budget with everything I have right now is right around $2000-2500. I definitly think it can be done for that. Am I going to sacrifice anything to save money? Hell no I’m going to do it right the first time. A full gsr swap is not in my price range so that’s out. I have looked into it. Ls/v ia in my budget and that’s what’s it’s gonna be.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30008

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Integra-Civic-GSR-96-99-Engine-5spd-Tran-ECU-B18C-OBD2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518f16474bQQitemZ350292952907QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQautorefreshZtrue

i dont think the shipping will be more than 200, so 2800 from hmotors

2500 from ebay

minus the money from selling your parts, a full gsr swap will run you under 2000,
if you stopp here you get 140-150 to wheels,

than you can find cheap use cams, new springs, chip ecu and tune, all for another 700, another 150 for a skunk2 intak mani , i assume you have bolt ons aready, there you have a “30k-45k” new used motor and tranny, if you want lsd you pay 300 more for a factory lsd

i dont know if your 2000-2500 lsv including the machining work labor or not

it is all up to you, i am not doing the gsr swap, i had a plan myself with h2b for 2000, since i totaled my da, i am just running my mouth here

I have researched cost on both ls/v and gsr and it is cheaper to do a ls/v with my budget. 2800 blows out my budget if I go gsr. I would still need axles and linkage and I need motor mounts anyway plus some other minor things. My ls/v budget has that stuff factored in. Gsr is out of my price range.

i dont know how much your lsv build would cost

but what i was saying

your gsr head,your stock ls motor and tranny + the b16 block you sold before

worth at lease 800

a full gsr(motor, tranny, ecu) for 2500-2800 shipped minus the money you sell from above you get a gsr for under 1700-2000 + Cable 2 Hydro Converter

i dont see why it cant be done within your buget which is 2000-2500

anyways, i think you are already on it, good luck with it!! i hope you get it done soon

i dont drive 80mph, i drive like 60-70 and keep the rpms under 4k. i’m around 4500-5300 @80-90mph. If you need to performance driving above 100mph, you will want the p72 5th gear.

I top out in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile in 4th gear at 8300-8500 rpm going about 103 ish

p72 5th gear still makes for an easy down shift to 4th and 3rd. you can go either way, LS or p72, doesnt matter to me really, but dont forget what gears you have and try to dump the car into 3rd when you are driving 80mph at 4k in your LS 5th gear and expect your engine to like you.

If you hate 5th gear in a 00 civic si that much, just get the LS 5th gear then.

well folks after much debate and research this is what I have decided to go with… DRUM ROLL please

I’m going to rebuild the B18a that is currently in the car, IF I even keep the car. Yesterday somebody traded in a 2002 RSX base model at our work. It is dark blue with the factory optional lip kit and it’s lowered with wheels that look awful. I can probably get the car for $5k or less. I might end up selling my DA… But if I end up keeping her, I will be doing a rebuild on the motor and just keeping that part stock. I see no reason to dump all the extra money into an ls/v or gsr swap. THIS IS NOT A RACECAR. That is what I told myself when I bought it and thats the way I’m going to keep it. I would like to thank everybody for the helpful input and everything because I have learned a lot just by reading. I appreciate it.

or now I have found this… damn it why do I have to be like this

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1540257561.html

remember one thing, it is what you want it to be

you can turn it to anything you want

its not just about motor swappability, its not about 4 wheel disc brake, its not about handling.

its all about the soul of a true old honda, its about the old school nice looking body.

no matter what you do, stick around, dont be a stranger