Quick Easy Question !!! PS removal ?'s (why?)

sidewall height wouldn’t change anything. the width would have an affect though.

Umm you fucking idiot, yes it does. I just explained my situation and told you there was an extremely noticeable difference. Are you calling me a liar!? Less rubber in the way means a better feel for steering the car…god they need that hammer smiley from Hondatech on here

yes, sidewall height makes a difference. ever wonder why performance tires tend to have shorter sidewalls? there you go.

I have to agree with BacardiBreezer.

For an example if u take a 195/60/15 vs 195/50/15 the 50 series with thinner height would be much better response time when u turn.

Same goes for 205/65/15 vs 205/40/16 the 40 series is going to be much better as same as above.

The height of the tire makes it wobble and has softer sidewall when it is thicker. Even if u max out the psi on the tires the lowest serie is still going to respond better in turning/cornering as well.

Now for the width as in 15x6, 15x6.5, 16x7, and 16x8. The only affect is much better traction surface for handling all around especially in turnings and has nothing to do with what she said about turning with ease. So yes thinner respond to the turning much easier.

Here is a FAT EXAMPLE;

If u are skinny you can run and move faster?!
If you are FAT you can run, but you will move much slower?!

Same as in Thick and Thin THANK YOU!

whoooooooooaaaa:chill: :chill:

I thought we were talking about steering effort at extremely low speeds, not steering response while cornering at high speeds.

Tire behaviour is very dependent on speed and weight transfer conditions, a lot of it is counter-intuitive, and it’s definitely much more complicated than how much rubber is “in the way”. So let’s not oversimplify.

double post

GoGreen for emperor of canada!!!

I might of put it the wrong way of talking about at high speed or on turning/cornering, but it is still the same when it comes to effort and turning at low speed.

Thinner sizewalls and in height does yield better control effort as it does not reflex as much. For a 3 point turn for example. Honestly i dont know how to put it down, but i do know from my experiences without powersteering that is. If u have powersteering forget all this.

lol sorry I was fired up about something else…anyway also my old rims were 8 in wide and the new ones are 7…regardless the tires were both 205 and I don’t know about any difference there

[QUOTE=GoGreen;1860125]I thought we were talking about steering effort at extremely low speeds, not steering response while cornering at high speeds.

Tire behaviour is very dependent on speed and weight transfer conditions, a lot of it is counter-intuitive, and it’s definitely much more complicated than how much rubber is “in the way”. So let’s not oversimplify.[/QUOTE]

finally someone who’s following the thread.

so please, explain to me how a taller sidewall will affect the ease to turn the steering at a standstill with no power steering??

Taller sidewalls tend to flex more, which means in addition to the force required to turn the wheel, you have to apply the additional force lost to flex in the sidewall. In addition, a taller sidewall tends to have more weight to move.

Just :read: what i said…

Then they weren’t really comparable at all. You can’t really say with certainty that the two tire/rim combos yielded a contact patch of the same width, as one could have been stretched to fit the 8-inch rim. Not to mention that the two different 205 tires could have had different effective widths to begin with. They’re not all created equal. And were they the same compound? Same pressure?

I’m not disputing that you felt a difference. Just don’t jump to the conclusion that it was solely due to the difference in sidewall height.

The force is not lost to flex. Perhaps a flexible sidewall would require turning the steering wheel a greater amount to get the tire to respond, but that difference would be quantified by work, i.e. force x distance. Regardless, I expect it would be negligible. And the weight of the tire is pretty much irrelevant.

Umm, I’m pretty sure it was the sidewall height. Consider that yes, I just said the width makes no difference, yet there was a 15mm difference in my sidewall height and it made the steering feel SO MUCH EASIER, one handed turns at low speeds, sort of like a CRX or something similar which never came with p/s to begin with. Maybe you ought to actually get in a car and feel the difference with tires of those sizes. Geez.

Smaller sidewall = less rubber between you and the road = better steering response

Here is a FAT EXAMPLE;

If u are skinny you can run and move faster?!
If you are FAT you can run, but you will move much slower?!

Same as in Thick and Thin THANK YOU!

We call it low profile series

So the following variables were definitely changed:

Sidewall height
Rim width

And these were possibly changed:

Tire compound
Tire pressure
Overall tire height

And you can say with absolute confidence that the sidewall height is the critical variable, and none of the others make any difference whatsoever? Keep in mind I’m talking about cranking the wheel while at a standstill or at very low speeds, like maneuvering into a parking spot.

Were the wheels the same offset? You did say the old rims were 8 inches wide, which leads me to believe that your switch to a 7-inch rim may have altered your scrub radius, which is a known contributor to steering effort.

I have a 1962 pickup with a solid front axle and no power steering, and I’ve heard plenty of accounts from other owners of increased steering effort after switching to wider tires, quite often with LOWER sidewall profiles. By your logic a lower profile tire ALWAYS results in decreased steering effort, regardless of what other variables may be in play. Not necessarily…

Actually I’m not sure on the offset, but they look similar and normal, so nothing crazy. The tire pressures are the same, what they should be. I did nothing but swap over the rims/tires, so it HAD to be that. I mean you go from bubble gum tire to practically having nothing there. There is NO DOUBT in my mind it is the sidewall height that made my steering 200 times easier…

alright well believe whatever you want thats fine. i tried with my 205/45/16, 205/50/15 and 195/60/14, and it was just as hard to turn at a standstill.

:gayfight: