Quick Easy Question !!! PS removal ?'s (why?)

At a STANDSTILL? No, nothing will that make that easier, unless you loop it or something to release the pressure. If you’re going to talk about something specifically you need to say, instead of just arguing with me and making me think you meant in general! Geez!

I did say that.

We’re talking about steering effort here, not response, not feel, not handling precision, but the actual force required to turn the wheel at low speed, where the assist provided by power steering is at its maximum and is most noticeable.

And there is a way to change steering effort at a standstill. Like switching to a different wheel width with a different offset! Doing so will alter the scrub radius, which is the distance between the point where the steering axis intersects the ground (the Dave point for Sport Compact Car readers) and the centreline of the tread. Changing the scrub radius directly affects steering effort. Of course, there are several other variables in play that may or may not have been affected by the tire swap.

It’s most likely that your switch to a narrower wheel is what decreased your steering effort (regardless of the tread width of the tire). Maybe the sidewall height enters into it, but not in the way your thinking. Sure, a lower-profile sidewall is stiffer, but simply mounting the same tire on a wider wheel is also beneficial. The wider wheel will support the sidewall better. So I seriously doubt the change in sidewall stiffness was as huge as you seem to think.

You keep saying that you only changed the sidewall height, but you also changed the wheel width, wheel size, and possibly the overall height of the tire! So unfortunately your logic is flawed and your conclusion is invalid.

And I haven’t the foggiest clue what RiccyLSR is trying to say… :think:

I think generally it is going to suck ass if you are turning your wheel at a complete stop with no power steering (not looped, pressurized, etc). As long as you get moving just a bit it eases it A LOT. I had to do a turn around in a one way parking lot recently and by the time I was done I was breathing heavy, lol, and I’m pretty skinny and have pretty buff arms. It just sucks. However, I noticed when backing out, making turns at low speeds, etc…I can now one hand it with no problem at all when it in past with the 55 series tires I COULD but it wasn’t half as easy. You’re trying to tell me I don’t know how my own car feels that I drive everyday, and that is just stupid. If you want to come over and drive it, fine. I know for a fact there is a difference, and I’m not the only one saying that. But at a complete stop - no, it just always sucks.

No, I’m not. :read:

I’m sure there is a difference. But unfortunately this thread is chock full of misinformation, improper terminology, and corrupted (or just plain made-up) theories about tire dynamics.

I’m telling you this: You changed the sidewall height AND the width of the wheel. Therefore you cannot isolate sidewall height as the contributing factor in the decreased steering effort that you are experiencing. Once again, please notice I said “steering effort” and not response or feel.

I thought we were talking about steering effort at extremely low speeds, not steering response while cornering at high speeds.

so please, explain to me how a taller sidewall will affect the ease to turn the steering at a standstill with no power steering??

i dont know, maybe try opening your eyes next time? everyone knows that the wheel will be just as easy to turn as soon as the car is in motion.

not only have i tried with 3 different tire sizes, but my rack is also looped and the valves are also removed, so before telling me i should try to go out and try it, inform yourself.

I think that everyone here who is telling me I dont know how my own car feels should try dying in a fire…maybe then you will understand. The first day I fucking drove it with the new wheels it was a huge difference. But, I guess I dont know how to comprehend physically feeling with my brain.

Well you’re certainly having trouble with the reading comprehension today.

Let’s try again:

Switching to a narrower wheel likely decreased the scrub radius. Decreased scrub radius = decreased steering effort.

you tell me what is more of a difference: 1 inch narrower, or 15mm sidewall decrease.

1 inch narrower = 1" less of rubber on the contact patch = less friction = easier to turn steering wheel. 15mm sidewall decrease = absolutely nothing in steering effort.

I told you already. I’m sure the shorter sidewall improved handling and response to a certain degree, but steering effort is a function of tire compound, pressure, rim/tire width, offset, overall tire height (as it affects scrub radius), and caster.

You didn’t decrease the sidewall by 15 mm, btw. You decreased it by 15%.