Reliability

I’ve always been one to love turbo’s and i would love to make my teg turbo. Right now I am a full time college student and I have a full time job. So my question is, realistically, can my car be boosted reliably as a daily driver. And, if so, how much would it realistically cost. I know for the most part everything I need for what I want. I don’t want big power, because it’s a daily driver, all I want is a little kick, so probably something along the lines of a 14b or so and from what I’ve read 6-8psi is safe on our stock internals. As for fuel mgt. I was reading the how to on here and for what I’ll be running I was thinking an apex-i safc with bigger injectors and fuel pump would be ok with of course the check valves and fpr, but I’m not sure. I drive a 92 ls with 200k on the engine and it is running very strong, but I know I would have to do a compression and leak down test first. Basically, how much will it cost to build small turbo set-up that’s reliable. Thanks for all of your help guys.

You could do a pretty good set up for about 1000- But i’d go bigger than a 14b, you’re gunna run outta power. 14bs are a good for a d-series, and some people swear that the 14bs are too small for a d-series…It makes great power as long as your not lookin for anything past 6k. AFCs are expensive and not super reliable. TurboEdit or in your case for a 92, Uberdata- cheap and effective-

well i’m not really looking for too much power, jus a little bit more perk in the engine. Thanks for the help with uberdata, i’ll look into it more. So what size turbo do most of us g2icers use?

normally i see t3’s for the 200-300hp builds and t3/t4 hybrids for the 300+ builds on here. but its not just the turbo either the a/r has alot to do with how much hp you will make up top and when it spools down low

A 14b would do you fine, and they’re super cheap. And I disagree about the power dropping after 6k. Mine holds 10 psi to redline no problem(when it’s running), and my friend also runs a 14b on a B18C1, and holds 10 psi to 8500 rpms, and makes ~300whp.

As far as a daily driver, it’s definitely possible, but very frustrating. I am also a full time college student, and have a part time job. I boosted mine around a month and a half ago and I’m still having issues. I’m not trying to discourage you at all, but just be prepared for problems. I budgeted mine for around $1500, and it ended up almost doubling. Alot of stuff comes up that you don’t plan on.

And you definitely want to use uberdata over an AFC hack. It’s way safer, more reliable, and leaves alot more room for tuning.

If you want to talk about this, feel free to shoot me an IM or email sometime. I’d be glad to help you out.

There is a difference between holding power to redline, and holding boost, don’t forget that.

Fine, I’ll reword. It holds power to redline. If I had a working scanner I would post the dyno graphs. When it comes down to it, I can’t think of any better options than a 14b for a tight budget and daily driver for 200-250whp.

Oh ya I do totally agree with you tho taht a 14B is eprfect for a stock LS motor not looknig for ginormous power.

thanks pdc, ill hit ya up on aim later, and thanks for all the help guys :slight_smile: