Replacing speedo cable

before i get started how many other DA owners are getting annoyed by the ""bird nest ""behind their cluster haha(no real bird nest its just the speed o cable loosing its lube)? i know i was going nuts and it made me get up and drive to honda to buy a new speed o cable to simply replace it after trying several lubes and none of them working with me . also the bouncy needle

parts needed
~78410-sk7-a01(new speed o cable honda part number for a cable to fit my 92 gsr)total came out to be 27…16 with my discount woot woot :smiley:
~needle nose pliers
~flat head
~philips screwdriver

-first you must obviously go purchase the cable then let the car cool off(something i didn’t do )(just so you don’t burn your self).

-remove the bezel(plastic piece around the climate control and the cluster) and unclipped the buttons such as fogs,sunroof etc.

-next remove the intake from where it meets the manifold.

-remove this little clip from where the cable is plugged into.

-then go back to where you removed the bezel from which you see the cluster being held in by 4 screws(mine was missing 3 but don’t worry i replaced them haha ;))

-after removing the screws you should be able to pull the cluster towards yourself and remove the speed cable from behind the cluster.i found it easier to just yoink it out from the inside instead of towards the engine bay).(i also moved the bunch of wires to have more work space.

-you are then going to be able to see a hole like this one

-simply remove the rubber piece from the cable and slide the cable until you are able to pull it from the engine bay out but don’t pull and connect it just yet. first connect it to the cluster and THEN to the other piece by the engine.

(this step is after cable is plugged from both ends and you wont be moving it anymore)place the rubber to keep water or heat etc. from entering you engine bay

-in order to keep the cable from falling out you need to place the safety pin thing back just as you removed it(making sure its locked in place)before you put everything back together simply pull the cable where the clip is placed out as if you were to remove it(just to make sure it doesn’t fall right out .if it does then you need to take the pin out and push the cable in more im pretty sure you will feel a click and then it should be finished.

-to insure you have put the cable in correctly put the dash board only back in and take the car up and down he block

-after this you should be able to do everything els by yourself with out any steps(a few screws and switch clips and walla!)

this should stop a atleast two things that it used to do, 1. no more bird house and 2. no more bouncing needle WOOT WOOT!!!

good sh*t, I need to do this. :cool:

i need to do it, my bouncy speedometer drives me crazy

i just did it yesterday. turned out well. i had more trouble getting that dang rubber grommet into the firewall than i did getting the cluster out tho lol.

haha yea the rubber is a little pain in the ass to put on but other then that its pretty simple

These pics were a big help to me. Thanks.

Immense help, I really appreciate this. :slight_smile:

glad i could help out

np anything for the g2 ppl:rockon:

Dont forget to mention that your “Idiot light” or Check Engine light will turn on if your cable is ready to die or has died already. I know that may sound really dumb, but it happened to me and a few of my friends with DA’s. Their check engine comes on and they have know Idea why. Then we realize that its our “Bird Chirping Speedo cable”.

true story…

anyone know that part number for the clip that attaches to the speedo cable at the bottom near the trans?

i think its called a c-clip

edit: heres the part #

78415-SK7-A02

price: 2.60

what happened to the pictures for this, i have to do this now and i’m lost

hell, even with pics i probably cant do mine.
you are suposed to be able to remove the clip and pull it out of the transmission, then cable comes right out of the casing.
guess its usefull for lubing it without taking out the cluster?

but i cant get my hands in there to even see if that works.

:argh: this is why I ask people to use the G2IC attachment feature instead of linking…

yup yup.

got the plastic off as far as the ac & fan control, couldnt get it off at that point.
without pictures to help me disconect what i need to disconnect to get that piece off… i dont think i will try again.

hey fellas i want to say sorry for the pictures not showing up :frowning:

i had moved the pictures from one album (in photo bucket ) to another and when you do that the links change and thats why the pics were missing

hope the pics help out more haha :angel:

thanks for putting the pics back up! i have my spedo cable waiting to put on with my new cluster :slight_smile:

Bump Good Tip

Thanks for fixing the images.