shiftlinkage fell apart!!!

so i went to the honda tech meet down at pacific raceways today. got lots of props on my car. it made me happy. them my friend and i rolled togeather with our da’s down in seattle. i stopped at a light, put it in neutral, the light turned green. then i put it in first and started going, then as i shifted into second, the whole shifter just got super flimsy and moved all over the place and i was stuck in frist gear!!! i pull off onto a side street and jacked my car up using the classic oem honda jack and saw that where the linkage goes into the transmission it came out! the pin the keeps them togeather fell out. luckly i didnt lose everything and it was sitll all there. instead of putting the pin back in, in case it came out again, i put it back on with a strew and nut as a temp, repair and it worked. its the wierdest thing ever! i need to get a new boot thing for it because it was worn, and a new pin too. i was wondering if anyone could provide me a diagram of how the shiftlinkage goes togeather so i know im fixing everything properly. i have some energy suspension bushings for the shift linkage too that i figure i might as well put in too.

thanks

wow!

what the hell?!

ive spent the last 2 weeks and made 3 custom tools at the machine shop to try and get my spring pin out, and yours just falls out while youre driving???!!

god damnit i hate my luck.

you just slide the linkage over the shaft that comes out of the transmission and slide the pin up inside, heat it up after you push it in so it expands into the hole to prevent this from happening again, make sure you pull the dust boot back over the pin to.

[QUOTE=OMG Its Weasel;2145636]wow!

what the hell?!

ive spent the last 2 weeks and made 3 custom tools at the machine shop to try and get my spring pin out, and yours just falls out while youre driving???!!

[/QUOTE]

you arent the only one lol. the last 2 times ive had to pull my motor and trans, the shift linkage came with it lol i gave up trying to get it out

[QUOTE=OMG Its Weasel;2145636]wow!

what the hell?!

you just slide the linkage over the shaft that comes out of the transmission and slide the pin up inside, heat it up after you push it in so it expands into the hole to prevent this from happening again, make sure you pull the dust boot back over the pin to.[/QUOTE]

i usually just use a long narrow bolt clamped with vice grips and hammer it out. if you get it dead on, they usually come out with the first couple hits.
about heating it; i wouldn’t do that. when heated, as the pin expands, it will have nowhere to go and contract inward when cooled. not a good idea, IMO.
you’re supposed to use a new on every time it comes out. they’re not expensive

man i beat and beat and beat on mine with a 1/4" punch and didnt budge

[QUOTE=welfare;2145671]i usually just use a long narrow bolt clamped with vice grips and hammer it out. if you get it dead on, they usually come out with the first couple hits.
about heating it; i wouldn’t do that. when heated, as the pin expands, it will have nowhere to go and contract inward when cooled. not a good idea, IMO.
you’re supposed to use a new on every time it comes out. they’re not expensive[/QUOTE]

im assuming the incompetent assclown who replaced the clutch before i owned it used a flared punch to insert the pin, it was mushroomed out on the bottom so the only way to go with it was down from the top.

i tried the clamp idea and broke two 15 dollar clamps.
i tried to machine out the pin stepping up drill bits to wear it out, broke two 10 dollar cobalt bits.
ive made three tools out of 1 inch thick mild steel that have all used grade 8 hardware and a titanium pin to push from the top with equal pressure, all the designs ive made have bent the steel or broken the hardware.

im a 6 pack away from getting out the sawzall and making a sleeve for the cut linkage to slide over, then weld the linkage back to being aligned perfectly. i dont have access to jackstands tall enough to take the linkage out with the motor.

if only i had a lift…

if you’re using a punch, you’re probably spreading the pin while you attempt to drive it out. never come out that way.

weasel: have you tried heating the sleeve and punching it out? definitely need to hit it dead on with it heated, or you’ll pooch the sleeve. because the sleeve would slightly expand after heat, i’d spread the new pin accordingly to make it fit tight. or even sometimes just heating and letting it cool can be enough. i’d try that first, actually
on jack stands, this job can be a real horror show when the pin is seized

They make an OEM specific tool to remove the pin so that a straight or tapered punch doesnt deform the pin

http://www.handsontools.com/Schley-64550-Honda-Acura-Shift-Linkage-Pin-RR-Tool_p_41-13192.html

J

[QUOTE=redlinemi;2145717]They make an OEM specific tool to remove the pin so that a straight or tapered punch doesnt deform the pin

http://www.handsontools.com/Schley-64550-Honda-Acura-Shift-Linkage-Pin-RR-Tool_p_41-13192.html

J[/QUOTE]

yeah, i made one just like that to reinstall, mines shorter though, to use with a clamp if the new one is as stubborn as the previous one when i have to get it out in the future

e: i like how the tranny case in that tool pic is polished up aha

haha, this is really quite interesting. so i should get a new pin for my linkage? do you know if a local auto store would carry that or is that a dealer part? is there a part number i can go off of? also does anyone have a pic of how this boot goes back on?

[QUOTE=redlinemi;2145717]They make an OEM specific tool to remove the pin so that a straight or tapered punch doesnt deform the pin

J[/QUOTE]

I got a JDM YS1 trans sitting in my basement I need to get this damn pin (most call it the bitch pin) out of so I can swap it into my car. Guess I will either see what I can do without buying this tool. Thanks for the link man.

you can use a selection of metal drill bits in a high speed drill to manually machine out the pin, start with a bit that barely fits into the hole and move up in bits until the left over pieces just fall out. it didnt work for me on my integra, but every other stuck bitch pin ive extracted (D-series mostly) i did it that way.
you need a new pin afterwards anyway…

thats all dependent on if you already have the drill bits, other wise just spring for buying the special tool, its good to have if you do a lot of swapping.

dude… thread jacked

no. this is a thread about shift linkages falling apart

why dont you take the keys to this thread and handle wheel then captain, well only respond to what you say from now on.

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190542

See if anything in there helps you out.

I took a look at that link and I don’t see how you can use a C clamp when the linkage is still attached to the trans.

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/honda/bitch/bitch.html

Just follow those instructions with pics, there is just enough room to get the c clamp in there. I did it on mine, worked like a charm.

[QUOTE=Zenmachine;2145893]http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/honda/bitch/bitch.html

Just follow those instructions with pics, there is just enough room to get the c clamp in there. I did it on mine, worked like a charm.[/QUOTE]

Well your c-clamp had to be smaller then mine because there is no way I can do it. Anyone have a oem part number on the bitch pin?

EDIT:
Never mind I finally found it 94305-80222

i used a 3" c-clamp from home depot, the black ones

Yeah mine is a lot bigger then that. Guess I will need to grab a 3". thanks for the info man.