Syncro question

What is a syncro and how do you know/tell if it is messed up? Someone please enlighten me :shy:

A synchro is a brass ring that helps you get form one gear to another without grinding. Here is a picture of my mainshaft out of my tranny. The brass rings on it are the synchros…

You can tell that they are going bad when your tranny grinds while shifting at high gears and just wont go into gear. The worse the synchro gets the lower the rpm’s will be that you can shift at without grinding.
That pretty much sums it up, I dont want to get too far into detail or this would be REALLY long.
Let me know if you have any more questions and I will answer them for you.

Later,
BR

Ah okay…so now at least I know I’m safe :wink:

How does a syncro become bad? Bad clutching and shifting?

Originally posted by akirax
How does a syncro become bad? Bad clutching and shifting?
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Just little grinds here and there that add up after the years.

Later,
BR

Can you replace messed up syncros or would it be better off getting a new transmission?

Can you replace messed up syncros or would it be better off getting a new transmission?
The reason that pic was taken was because I had to replace the 3rd gear synchros. Unfortunately honda doesnt sell the synchros separately so I had to buy the whole 3rd gear set.
It is worth rebuilding if you do it yourself or have someone that knows what they are doing help you.
Check out this link, it is a photo album of the rebuild of my tranny…
Best Of SEO & Blogging - ImageStation

What we did with my tranny is replace the 3rd gear set, all the oil seals, and all the ball bearings.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Later,
BR

Thanks, BR, for the replies…just exactly what I needed to know. Ah, I feel so enlightened now… :wink:

Thanks, BR, for the replies…just exactly what I needed to know. Ah, I feel so enlightened now… :wink:
No problem… I take it you dont sleep either then :smiley:

Later,
BR

lol! This week is test week at school…and you know, late night studying. Gotta love it :wink:

Yeah, well I am up late just for the hell of it… :smiley:

Later,
BR

B R

I’m glad I came across this post. I am about to pull my trans to crack open the case for the first time. My 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd synchros are shot, and I was going to put a quaife diff in while it is all apart. You mentioned that honda doesn’t sell the synchros alone and you had to buy the gear set. What did this cost and how difficult do you find this to be?

Thanks for the help.

T93SE - The 3rd gear set that I had to buy costs $278 + tax from the dealer unless your like me and you get discounts :smiley: I have also heard that the 3rd gear set is the most expensive one you can buy.
I do recommend that you change the 3 ball bearings and 3 oil seals while you have your tranny off, just to be on the safe side.
Tearing down the tranny is pretty hectic but I had some good help during the process from Dan (G2Guru) so that helped out a lot. I did come to the conclusion that it is a pretty easy thing to do if you have the helms manual handy and a friend to help you with some of the heavy lifting.
I think that anyone with pretty good mechanical skills can do this, but just make sure you take your time and check everything twice.

Later,
BR

Can I put a YS1 tarnny in my 90 Teg

I have a 90 Integra LS with the stock tranny. My friend replaced the tranny Last year but the 3rd Syncro is going bad fast. I found a YS1 tranny, for a good price. What do i need to do to install this tranny into my car. Should I have a Shop do it??? I really want the LSD aspect of the tranny. Please help

Re: Can I put a YS1 tarnny in my 90 Teg

Originally posted by kincaidintegra
I have a 90 Integra LS with the stock tranny. My friend replaced the tranny Last year but the 3rd Syncro is going bad fast. I found a YS1 tranny, for a good price. What do i need to do to install this tranny into my car. Should I have a Shop do it??? I really want the LSD aspect of the tranny. Please help
Yep, that tranny will bolt right up. I put that YS1 on my 91, which is the same as your 90.
I would recommend that you do it if your capable, if not then you should have a shop do it so you know it is right, or so you at least get the warranty.
The USDM YS1 doesnt have any LSD at all, it wasnt even an option. The JDM YS1 had the option of LSD, but they are pretty rare…

Later,
BR

The YS1 is not the B16a Tranny is it??
:frowning: :bawl: :bawl: I hope not. I don’t want to top out at 100mph :frowning: That would suck big time

B R,

You mentioned the 3 ball bearings and oil seals. Would these come as part of the kit or would I need to specify these separately. If so, is there a specific name or part number that I can tell them? Also, just to clarify, since my trans is grinding on the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shift, I would need the 2nd and 3rd gear set, or the 1st and 2nd gear set?

Thanks again,

T93SE

Originally posted by T93SE
[B]B R,

You mentioned the 3 ball bearings and oil seals. Would these come as part of the kit or would I need to specify these separately. If so, is there a specific name or part number that I can tell them? Also, just to clarify, since my trans is grinding on the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shift, I would need the 2nd and 3rd gear set, or the 1st and 2nd gear set?

Thanks again,

T93SE [/B]
Those parts dont come in any kit that I know of. I do have the part numbers for them though and here they are…

Bearings
91004-p21-003
91002-ps1-003
91003-p21-003

Oil Seals
91216-ph8-005
91205-pl3-b01
91205-pc9-711

You will also need to replace the lock nut on top of the countershaft and the part number for that is
90202-ph8-000

Yes, you would need the 2nd and 3rd gear sets to fix your two grinds.

Later,
BR

B R

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by T93SE
[B]B R

Thanks a lot! [/B]
No problem, good luck with whatever your about to embark on…
If you need anything else just ask…

Later,
BR

Hey BR… will those parts from the dealer fit my Y1 tranny?? I need a new fifth gear syncro…