Taillight gasket options

Long shot since there’s normally no activity on these boards anymore, but i thought i would take a stab in the dark anyway.

Well I used one of the tips to use some weather stripping to stop the taillight from leaking/seeping water. Well it worked for a little while, then, well…i have alot of water back in my trunk again. Has anyone else found another solution? I’d like to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance, if i receive help.

the best solution is oem. they are a little pricey but they will last ~20 years before having to replace them again. all the trial and error youre going to get with other methods will usually be greater than or equal to the cost of two brand new gaskets.

go to the dealer or order them online.

Yes OEM is the best but not the only way. I recently did both my tails with sticky back window foam. I live in the northwest where it likes to rain a lot and I have had zero issues. Just make sure to put the seam on the bottom. Make sure to get all the old gasket off and clean the area really well. I paid $5 to do both tails.

are you talking about the grey strip roll that comes in a clear bag?

this

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/ce/cec6e0bd-c2e7-44d1-bde8-74fe98610c3c_400.jpg

I’m surprised nobody has a “writeup” on a DIY mod.

because theres no reason for it. you just get the oem gaskets and put them on. everything else has been tried and it all fails in a very short time.

there was one guy that was making them out of an oem type material and was selling them for less than honda but that was a long time ago. you people need to stop being so damn cheap and just buy the correct part.

Maybe some people need a quick option to seal up their light before you can get a OEM one. Then there are cheap people that are looking for a cheaper option than OEM. That’s what boards like this are about. Letting people know about little tricks and tips about stuff. It’s weird that the window foam fails so quick on cars and not houses. Hmmmm. Maybe it’s because they do last longer than you think. I’m pretty sure NfulFX (neal) did a write up using the window gasket. It might be in teg tips. I remember reading it a while back and that’s where I got the idea.

a set of oem tail light gaskets shouldnt cost more than 50$. theres no reason to try and find a way to bypass such an expense. it doenst make sense to spend money in effort to save money when its this small of an amount. im sure if some aftermarket part popped up for sale for 50$, most people wouldnt even think twice but when it comes to normal maintenance people want to pinch pennies and find shortcuts.

i think that mindset it silly. just get the oem gaskets and be done with it.

also, ive tried the window sealer and holds for a little while then youre back to square one minus what was spent on the window stuff. this was back before i knew any better. its not difficult to make 50$ or less to get the gaskets. i see no point in doing anything else.

[QUOTE=DA_all_day;2313828]because theres no reason for it. you just get the oem gaskets and put them on. everything else has been tried and it all fails in a very short time.

there was one guy that was making them out of an oem type material and was selling them for less than honda but that was a long time ago. you people need to stop being so damn cheap and just buy the correct part.[/QUOTE]

we all drive 20yr old integras… aren’t we all cheap lol

it’s not about being cheap. it’s about finding new options & creative solutions.

no… my other car is 20+ years old and the shell alone costs more than most running integras. the age of the car has nothing to do with it.

this isnt one of the things that require innovation or a new solution. are you going to start modding flashlights to use in your headlights because bulbs are too expensive? are you going to use vegetable oil instead of motor oil because its cheaper?

there are some things that can be improved upon but this isnt one of them. you wouldnt use rtv instead of gaskets and seals because its cheaper.

well i have searched for gaskets and it seems like i come up empty handed when i’m searching for a set for my DB1…or maybe the oem website i’m looking for them at just have them discontinued…i thought everyone a few years back came up empty handed w/ those gaskets, were they reproduced again?

I’ve heard Wal-Mart sells a roll of open-cell foam that is very similar to that of OE gasket material.

Though I somewhat agree with Mike on this one… I value my time. I’d rather fork out the cash for the correct part, versus going to Wal-Mart to find foam, then trim it, and hope it works, only to re-do it later.

yeah buy oem works the best, here is the link where you can pick them up.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/1992/acura/integra-hatchback/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/taillight/?trim=gs-r&engine=5-speed-manual

part number 4

He drives a db and seems as though the gaskets are in fact discontinued =/

yes, i’ve found coupe gaskets even on ebay, but i cant find DB gaskets…so unified, do you know the brand or have a pic of what you’re talking about? I’d love to stop having the option to cater to ducks in my trunk

[QUOTE=DA_all_day;2313842]no… my other car is 20+ years old and the shell alone costs more than most running integras. the age of the car has nothing to do with it.

this isnt one of the things that require innovation or a new solution. are you going to start modding flashlights to use in your headlights because bulbs are too expensive? are you going to use vegetable oil instead of motor oil because its cheaper?

there are some things that can be improved upon but this isnt one of them. you wouldnt use rtv instead of gaskets and seals because its cheaper.[/QUOTE]

LMAO … however you want to justify spending money pal.

Your example is a little far fetched… I’m not talking about making light bulbs, designing new oil or anything complex.

The reality is that most honda guys modifing old cars are going to be on the cheap side. They have their reason for it. More often it’s because of money, but the other reason is due to honda guys picking an choosing where they want to spend their money such as on go-fast parts and not +$40 on tail light gaskets if you can make them for $10-15 yourself. It’s nothing complex, why couldn’t it be made for cheaper, who knows it might even be better than oem.

My point is, if you want to spend essesive money on rear tail lights gasket - good for you, but don’t shake your head or think your better at someone who wont & who are open to finding alternatives.

i just want a water free trunk, no argument of whose pockets are cheaper

Well it looks like it’s going to be a DIY for you now. If the OEM ones are discontinued then now it’s just trying to find the best gasket that’s going to last. I wonder if you can get decent quality gasket sheets and try to cut a one piece gasket. Might be able to sell some if you get a good set. It shouldn’t be too hard to make one and then you can just flip it for drivers to passenger side.

i was wondering if they made gasket sheets at all…do they? if they do i’ll definitely get them and cut to fit

http://www.quickcutgasket.com/roll_sheet_material.html

I’m sure this place will have what you are looking for. I wonder if someone knows the exact material and thickness of the stock gasket. I’m at work right now so I can’t measure but then again I don’t think I have any stock material left.