Teg Tip: Fast Idle Thermo Valve (FITV) adjustment/removal/internals

help

i dont have a teg but have a 96 civic 1.6 non-vtec do i have a fiv cuz i am having a high idal problem 1600-idal-1100-drive
all the time cold and hot
please help i have looked but have not found one do i haVE one?

you have a iacv which would be your problem. bolted on the back of the intake manifold, the new civic are on bottom of manifold.

i also have a idle problem. it idles at 1600-1800 rpms at car temp. and i messed with my timing, throttle cable and everything seems to be fine but it idles to high. will this solve my problem?

This is amazing! my car has been doing this for about a month now and I have taken it to a few shops around here and the didn’t know exactly what it was, one thought it was my throttle position sensor but i tested it and it works flawlessly but I found this thread today and i sounded alot like the problems I have been having so i figured what the hell…and it fixed it, thanks so much for the great information XDEep:bow: without it my car would still run like shit.

Seenthis problem everywhere

I found it easy to adjust your cold idle with the FITV while the car is running. If you leave the plate off the back of your FITV you can fit 2 fingers in it. I also found this post on both FITV & IACV which seemed very helpful.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=15&TopicID=152266&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

1990 Acura Integra

PROJECT 91, definitely worth a try. if not, sounds like the iacv or a vacuum leak. check the team-integra link just posted, Jackson001 consolidated a lot of good info.

Turboed, glad i could help! i just did the adjustment on my friend’s accord, and it’s been so long since i wrote this that i forgot how it worked and confused myself.

Disconnect916, great idea! i think someone mentioned if it would be easier, but no one tried. i’ll add it to the original post.

I’ve tried everything even replaced all of them and did it twice! Still bouncing the crap out of me!.. I wonder if I can block the FITV one time to see if it solves the problem?

I haven’t replaced them brand new just junkyard crap.

has anyone who done this have a problem with there car warming up?

HELP

I broke the bottom right screw that holds the fitv. It is stuck in the intake manifold. Any suggestions?? Your help is appreciated.

-Aaron

Your best chance is to remove the fitv out the way and get reverse type drill bit to get the broken screw out. They have kit for those at any auto parts store.

91integra157- Yes, the FITV controls the idle while warming up if it’ keeps bouncing at cold start then your FITV is bad. I still have bouncing idle problem for 5 years never went away!

I don’t know what is my car’s problem… I tried everything you can think of and it still bounce all the time! If the hole for the FITV is still sucking after the car is warm meaning the FITV is bad? I replaced the FITV with another motor and still does the same thing? Do I need to go get a third one?

did you force it in cross threaded because with no head on the bolt it should just screw out if you .

fitv location pics

can anybody post some pics of where exactly the fitv is on, or under the intake manifold i have a 91 rs. ive tried to find this on my car but cant locate it and i already searched but all the pics that were posted dont show. so if anybody can post some pics of where this is at and if up close lable what im lookin at so i can reconize it. thanks

Wow, thanks for the write up and to teg tips. My friend Aaron and I fixed this problem tonight, and now it warms up around 1500-1700, compared to 2500 and over, and now it doesnt bounce, ahh i love it, and i had to live with that problem for a long time. Thanks.

harbtheforcaste can anybody post some pics of where exactly the fitv is on, or under the intake manifold i have a 91 rs. ive tried to find this on my car but cant locate it and i already searched but all the pics that were posted dont show. so if anybody can post some pics of where this is at and if up close lable what im lookin at so i can reconize it. thanks

If you remove the intake from the throttle body you should be able to see it right under where it was connected. Be carefull with it, I broke the head off one of the bolts and caused major hassle.

OK, I checked the ring-cap and it was not loose, my vacuum hoses are all in one piece and routed correctly, and I also bled the coolant. Unfortunately I still get a fluctuating idle. This occurs only during warm up, not after the car has been running. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Everything ran fine until about 4 months ago. Its 91 B18a. THANKS.

the coolant line on the fitv has cracked on mine and is leaking, does anyone know the oem part #'s for the pre formed lines from the fitv that goes to the intake manifold? and how do you get it off, it looks very stuck on it.

The coolant line into the FITV is a pita to get off and on, I cracked mine trying to get it off and just brought the hose in to an parts dealer and got a piece of the same size and it fit after cutting down the length a bit. Takes forever though to put back in… took about 45 mins lol.

did you cut it off with a razor?

how far do I tighten the cream colored ring, just till it stops?

if you tighten it all the way the car will idle at 750 at cold start up, if you want it to be at like 1500 rpm on cold start up first tighten it all the way then un tighten a full circle if that makes any sense.