Trying to make up my mind...

So, I am going to attempt to make this short and sweet. This is a general opinion question, and I would love for people to post opinions with their reasons for their opinions.

I have intentions of building a 1993 ls. I received the car from a friend a while back, and now am looking at motor upgrades. I have researched about the ls/v, and I love it! I was looking into a b16 head.
The new thought, and the reason for this thread is, I began thinking of a turbo. I have no intentions of going big right now. I know i need to build the bottom end, but i have a friend that said he could sell me a complete turbo for the car for 700. The turbo is a turbonetics (not sure about the model number). This route, i think i could build the bottom end to make those revs high. Big question with the turbo is the ecu, I had intentions of using a chipped p28 for the ls/v.

ANY opinions and guidance is much appreciated. I am a noob, so don’t be to hard on me guys.

im on the same boat lol but on a non vtec b20

I would do small boost on that, I have read the piston walls are smaller and don’t like a lot of boost, not sure though. I am a noob :stuck_out_tongue:

When you say “complete turbo”, what do you mean? I say save up and do it right the first time. A chipped ECU would be the best solution. Something like a Hondata S300 would be great for you if did ls/V first then decided to go turbo. From my experience, total cost is 50 percent more than your original budget.

i dont think so, but if u sleeve it turn it up to psi. motor will love u for it lol imma noob too

I wouldnt build anything. I would get the 60 trim kit from go auto works that is specific for the DA chassis. This kit will give you room to grow if you do build the bottom end.

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html

The B20 walls are not thinner… they’re actually thicker than a LS/GSR/ITR… it’s the design of them that makes them weak under high cylinder pressures.

LSV is great… Ls Turbo is great… they can both be great setups as long as they’re assembled correctly and all of the parts are working well together…

You need to know exactly which turbo your friend has… otherwise, you could be slapping a 700hp-rated turbo on your motor that you plan to push 300hp on… This would make your motor perform very poorly, as mentioned above, because the parts aren’t working together.

You need to know what your goals are, then you’ll know what options you have. Do you want a daily driver that is fun? Is this a weekend-only car? Track only?

If it is strictly street, then you don’t need to go all out and sleeve the block etc etc to make decent power.

Fill us in on exactly what your plans and aspirations are, and we can better assist you.

Sorry if thee typing sucks I’m on my phone. I’m not 100% sure about the actual Turbo,but I want a fun little car as a daily driver. Im no stranger to engine builds, this is just the first Honda and unfortunately I have a budget :frowning: still have to pay the rent lol. I still do, however, have about a 2000 dollar build budget. I intend on doing a wire tuck in the car, just make it look nice. I want something with some get up and go to her. My goals; Have a fast, fun car, Make it look nice, Have fun with the build, Be able to take it to shows/meets(eventually). I really appreciate ALL the feedback guys. I’m open to about any opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

leave the wire tuck for later.2000 budget is going to be really tight,even you are mechanically incline. if you LS motor is healthy just stick with that. 250-300whp on a honda is pretty fast and a lot of fun.

Ok! So do boost? If so then what should I get as far swhy not make so i dont have to aturnine? Kit? Build my own? I’ve decides to build the engine up. It can’t hurt anything and will need done eventually anyway

i always like custom build the turbo kit so you can get what you want, but that can get pricy fast. look into go-autoworks i’ve heard a lot of good thing about them, but no personal experience.

Hi guys! I have turned a leaf on the build. I found a b16a jdm motor. mounts. Hydro trans. PR3 ECU. NEW axles. for $1100. That being said, I bought it. I have heard both good and bad on the b16, figured i would at least try it, if i don’t like it, I’ll put it in a civic shell and call it a day. I’m really stoked for the new motor. It has 20,000 miles on it. To add, I found a greddy turbo kit that was on a da integra for $800. Very well may buy it, seeing as the PR3 is chipped.

The B16 is a great motor, but it shines in the higher RPM… If you’re used to a B18 you might miss the torque, but as I said, the high-end performance of the B16 is fantastic.

If you go turbo, tune the motor… don’t rely on a ‘chip’ to run your setup.

I currently have a jdm b16a that is completely sto k minus itr cams and arp head studs. I am running a 50trim turbonetics, turbonetics evo wg,turbonetics raptor bov, PEAKBOOST ramhorn manifold, walbro 255, rc440’s, emusa front mount. Im tuned on s300 VERY VERY CONSERVATIVE SO IT DIDNT BLOW I MIND YOU. And i made 315whp@212tq. Like i said this was on a super conservative tune. This was on 8psi. Im going back as soon as i get it all finished up. Same exact setup except im going to be running id1000’s with back door ic setup on drivers side. We are bumping the boost from 8 to 14psi and am hoping for close to 400whp. My tuner tuned another b16 this past summer with a full cheap ebay turbo kit on a ebay 50trim on 12psi and made 326@221. So withmy setup bbeing a little better brand name parts and bigger injecotra we are hoping to see close to 400. Again stock motor minus arp headstuds and itr cams.

I to am running the b16 hydro trans. I just got the hush performance dav2 full hydro conversion and got it installed.