Turbo car running hot

I have a go auto works turbo kit with a front mount intercooler I have a half size rad with a slim fan. My issue is the car runs hot any one running a half size rad and haveing issues. I was gona get a turbo blanket and put the stock rad back in with 2 fans. Any thoughts or help will be apreceaite thanks

I’m using goautoworks half size with my stock a/c fan mounted on the front side of it. I have it set up to run all the time with the ignition on though. I haven’t had any overheating issues or any temperature creep at all. If you’re running a cheap slim fan it might not be moving enough air. You could try a better fan, or run a slim fan on both sides one pulling, one pushing. Or run the stock fan on it, or have it run all the time

From what I’ve seen, any Honda motor 1.7 and higher (B Series) needs a full radiator period, especially turbo. Running a quality fan is a good idea. I’m not sure how much the blanket would help but I’m actually curious for my own setup. My recommendation is to run an after market full w/ two fans.

i think the blanket would only help if the overheating is caused by ambient air temp which is possible. if the turbo is water cooled then idk how much of an impact the turbo would have on the overall temp when such a small amount is passing through and for such a short time.

op, how are your water lines routed if you have them…

Iam using stock rad hoses. I was thinking of turbo blanket if I put stock rad in cuz fan Will only be a 1/2 inch away from turbo and I don’t want to melt it. What are good fans the ones I got with kit look like China junk. I only have one fan on the inside I still have ac in car and condencor takes up a lot of space. Any one still running ac the intercooler and condencor are restricting a lot of air to rad . The rad I got is a no name I got from a friend wondering if I should get a go auto works one or just try the stock one. I bought this car new and it’s as clean as they come and I hate to cut or drill holes any where lol I took a lot of time to put half size rad and made a lot of custom brackets just hate to take it all out and start over. If I put heat on car runs a normal temp so Iam real close maby a better fan would do the trick.

take an above pic of the engine bay so we can see how much room you have to play with

SPAL makes a good radiator fan. That and a good all aluminum radiator should work wonders. Make sure it’s dual or triple core. Some people also make/buy a shoud for their radiator/fan setup. Good luck.

This is the only pic I have at this time car Is put away for winter. Are the aluminum full size rads thicker then stock

99% of aftermarket aluminum radiators are dual core. most stock radiators are single core. so yes, an aftermarket aluminum full size is thicker than stock

also, damn… just noticed how old this was. started clearing out my old subscribed threads and didnt bother to look at the date… oh well

Kev91teg,

Try adding a coolant expansion tank with your system, it separates the air from the water before it goes to cool off in your reservoir, and bleeds back into your return (bottom) coolant hose.
I’m using a greddy one, and it resolved my overheating issues.:salute: CXracing also has a reasonably priced one.

[QUOTE=jasperdeea90;2326316]Kev91teg,

Try adding a coolant expansion tank with your system, it separates the air from the water before it goes to cool off in your reservoir, and bleeds back into your return (bottom) coolant hose.
I’m using a greddy one, and it resolved my overheating issues.:salute: CXracing also has a reasonably priced one.[/QUOTE]

Can I get a pic of ur tank setup thanks

Here you go :up:

When was the last time you drain and flush your cooling system? Another reason for running hot is due to lean tuning of the ecu.

I was running a little hot with my aluminum half-sized radiator until I ditched the cheap fan and bought this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102029/overview/

No problems in the last 4 years since!

[QUOTE=92notec;2329692]I was running a little hot with my aluminum half-sized radiator until I ditched the cheap fan and bought this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102029/overview/

No problems in the last 4 years since![/QUOTE]

This should solve your problems, I used to have overheating problems with various turbo setups and once I figured out the SPAL fans it all went away. This is one of the best investments you’ll make on your turbo setup :slight_smile:

Agree on the quality fan. I also ran into issues for years. Changing the fan did a good job for not havaing overtemp on the water gauge but still the reading on the Hondata was still high (higher than 204F). I went a bit further. My FMIC was really taking all available space in the bumper. I finally cut the steel reinforcment bar in the bumper and left 2 inches of air space. It made a world of difference, now cruising get me to 198-200F which is the thermostat opening temperature.

im intrigued at how this expansion tank thing works but dont quite get it… anyone got a diagram?