Weight Reduction Techniques

I though this might be fun and interesting. Post your steps to lighten your DA… whether they are from purchasing high priced carbon fiber, or removing random useless parts. Post your steps and results!

At this point as far as purchasing items (that created the most difference), I’ve replaced my hood w/a Seibon hood (decent amount of savings) and the trunk with a VIS lid (despite some opinions, i’ve noticed a VERY noticable difference here… while its still rather heavy, without the trunk shocks you can tell a massive difference in weight by lifting stock and the VIS)

As far as random weight is concerned, the tow hooks under the front (basically 2 big steel plates with 3 oversized bolts on each) were removed to mount my traction bar. Those tow hooks, besides being completely useless, were easily a few pounds each, and are a piece of cake to remove.

…that should start us off…

Completely gutted interior except for sound deadening , it makes enough difference to take on some dc2 gsr’s with my stock b18b :slight_smile:

Im stripping the interior out before the next autox event. Im also looking at going to a Odyssey battery for a decent amount of savings there…

Anyone else??

Oooh I already like this thread. I have plans to get a carbon fiber hood and trunk (with possibly FAL lexan glass for the hatch) and I’m glad to hear from someone first hand that they can feel a difference. A good friend of mine told me “If you lose 20 pounds or more, do it.” Seeing how stock hoods are 32-33 pounds and the CF ones go between 12-15ish, it’s right around that area.

As for my car, JDM front and rear lightweight bumper supports. Boy does this make a difference. With the stock front and rear bumper support weighing in at approximately 30 pounds each, the switch over is unbelievable. Combined, the JDM lightweight front and rear bumper supports come to less than 6 pounds. They’re pretty hard to come across but if you can source a set I definitely recommend picking them up.

Picture time (bumper support comparisons):

JDM lightweight front bumper support (top) VS. USDM front bumper support (bottom)

JDM lightweight rear bumper support (top) VS. USDM rear bumper support (bottom)

[QUOTE=OldskoojdmDA9;2230767]Oooh I already like this thread. I have plans to get a carbon fiber hood and trunk (with possibly FAL lexan glass for the hatch) and I’m glad to hear from someone first hand that they can feel a difference. A good friend of mine told me “If you lose 20 pounds or more, do it.” Seeing how stock hoods are 32-33 pounds and the CF ones go between 12-15ish, it’s right around that area.

As for my car, JDM front and rear lightweight bumper supports. Boy does this make a difference. With the stock front and rear bumper support weighing in at approximately 30 pounds each, the switch over is unbelievable. Combined, the JDM lightweight front and rear bumper supports come to less than 6 pounds. They’re pretty hard to come across but if you can source a set I definitely recommend picking them up.

Picture time (bumper support comparisons):

JDM lightweight front bumper support (top) VS. USDM front bumper support (bottom)

JDM lightweight rear bumper support (top) VS. USDM rear bumper support (bottom)
[/QUOTE]

thats nice those support are heavy!

there is also that center beam that runs perpendicular to the front crossmember to the center of the car. I took mine off since I got headers on my car. Thats about 5-10lbs I estimate.

Nice advice on the bumper supports… ill need to look for some of those for sure! They say any weight you can shave off in front of the front wheels makes a huge difference in handling. As for the crossmember, I took mine off to but replaced it with a traction bar :-p

He said the bar that runs perpendicular to the crossmember… the one that runs under the oil pan, connecting the front and rear crossmembers.

get skinnier friends.

Oh my bad, yeah I took that off too.

Huge difference in weight for jdm headlights also!

i took out my ac and all that came with it.that compresser was atleast 35+pounds.

Lol the ultimate weight reduction technique.

I took out my ac power steering and cruise control

Also… I never ride with no one else but me nd my lady in the car lol we light weight.

Oh and no back seats in my db :stuck_out_tongue: thats y no one rides with me. Lol

wow. you just said that.

I changed to non abs that junk saved a bit, removed cruise controll to. While fixing my ac there’s a big metal bar under the glove box i took out that’s a few pounds i didnt see the use for it theres one on the driver side also you could take out maybe. The stock cat seemed a good bit heavier then my magnaflow stock replacement unit its more slim. Oh and took out the rear wiper too and looks different with out the wiper. The two rear tow hooks also.

You do realize that those metal bars in the dash are crush-bars that absorb impact in a front end collision? Kinda thoughtless to remove them in hopes of saving 3lbs of weight.

Yeah but now his car is mad jdm lightweight yo!

Fortunately I have an RS so I don’t have cruise or abs sacrifice… win!! Haha

Interior is coming out for autox this weekend though!

Let see here you can take out the heater core,blower motor,a/c evap or delete duct,all the vent piping. Power antenna, complete front wipers motor an all. Rear wipers,Put on light weight supports,jdm headlights,get rid of the power seat belts,An auto seat belt computer. complete interior,Hell even the dash zip tie the cluster to the metal support bar lol. replace the stock header with after market,take of the metal bracket under the intake manifold. complete a/c, an power steering,change power mirrors to manuel change power windows to manuel. Carbon fiber hood,trunk,fenders,doors.An more little things some of this is over kill but it all the weight that can be thought of right now oh an change all three back windows to fal brand an remove third brake light

i actually have a friend who’s M3 is like this. He wanted to build the fastest “stock” m3 so he just started gutting everything, he cut the entire dash out except for a spot where he really did zip tie his cluster and a gps to. He has 3-4 camera mounts and two racing seats in it and thats it for inside. the doors were completely gutted and he cut out all the inner metal that normally supports the glass. Replaced everything with FAL/Lexan. hood is stock but he trimmed all the ribbing out of it so its just a flimsy shell, same with the trunk lid. everything in the engine bay is gone except the v6, exhaust is made from cheap light aluminum that he replaces every few months cause it can’t stand up to the heat but at about $30 its cheap enough to not care lol.

He ran a 13.2 last time i heard setting a world record for a technically stock M3 of its year or whatever, and last i talked to him he had dropped about 80lbs more and was shooting for mid 12’s as it would only be his second time tracking the car and he wasn’t very happy with his times form the first race. I’ve also seen him driving around town with his doors completely off so this may be his plans for future track days lol.

[QUOTE=Boostpyro90;2230590]I though this might be fun and interesting. Post your steps to lighten your DA… whether they are from purchasing high priced carbon fiber, or removing random useless parts. Post your steps and results!

At this point as far as purchasing items (that created the most difference), I’ve replaced my hood w/a Seibon hood (decent amount of savings) and the trunk with a VIS lid (despite some opinions, i’ve noticed a VERY noticable difference here… while its still rather heavy, without the trunk shocks you can tell a massive difference in weight by lifting stock and the VIS)

As far as random weight is concerned, the tow hooks under the front (basically 2 big steel plates with 3 oversized bolts on each) were removed to mount my traction bar. Those tow hooks, besides being completely useless, were easily a few pounds each, and are a piece of cake to remove.

…that should start us off…[/QUOTE]

Those hoods are still heavy…

Only hood worth getting if you can find it is FiberImages… :slight_smile: