Weird noise maybe from tranny!

I looked around the forum for this but surprisingly couldn’t find it. When I’m in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd I hear a slight noise like metal rattling. I don’t know what it is, my friend said it was my heat guard. Any other guesses?

do you have a short shifter?

Nope, all stock!

Makes the most noise when I’m accelerating but RPMs are low.

heat shield

is it at the same speed (I.e. 15-20 mph) instead of just when you shift, or is it in the ACT of shifting?

you sure it’s the tranny?

My bad! You think that’s it? Any way to fix it?

It’s not while shifting or at a certain speed. It’s up to 30 mph while in gear.

And no not sure it’s the tranny.

does you dash rattle?

A little bit…doesn’t seem to be connected though…

just askin… mine rattled up to 30 and it was my axle…

Might be no idea!

just take the heat shield off and if the rattle is still there then you know it wasnt that!

Does the heat shield serve any purpose that isn’t really necessary?

Not really, no.

Mines gone, and has been gone for years, with no adverse effects.

wow, i looked in this forum for the exact same reason. I have a 96’ Integra GS-R completely stock and the same thing happens. An annoying somewhat loud metal rattle between 1-3 gear. i hate it. did try taking off the heat sheild? did it work?
reply or email, im desperate
thanks-
-stephen

supposedly the heat sheild isnt good to take off because if u ever have to pull over on to dry grass or anything the heat could cause a fire and ultimately set your car on fire, also just keeping heat out of the driving compartment, what do you think?

Its your exhaust hitting the shift linkage or something close(metal). Checked and make sure you exhuast hold up hook isn’t broken. To check just trying and move your muffler to tell if its broke. If it is broken just go to muffler shop so they weld to back on. Also a temp fix is the shift a little higher in gear. Switch every 15-20mph to a new gear. Exampe 0-15(1st), 15-30(2nd), 30-45(3rd) and so on. I had the same problem before.

im sorry but i would have to say im a little ingorant when it comes to this stuff, ur post somewhat confused me. can u go into detail on how i check if my muffler is broke? thanks so much for the reply.
-stephen

Mi fault, its not your muffler but the muffler hanger that hold the exhuast piping and if gets loose or broken sometimes the piping it will hit other thing nearby ect. shiftlinkage or other kinds of metal making that rattling noise at lower rpms. To check and make sure the muffler hanger is not broken try and shake your exhuast.