WTF!!!! Only 200 miles per tank

I finally decided that i would see how much gas milage i’m getting per tank. i filled the tank to the top, reset the trip meter and i’m pretty pissed off to see that i’m only getting around 200 miles per full tank of gas. and i’m not even beating my car to death or racing, i’m actually driving a lot slower than i usually would.
what’s the deal?? i have a 90 ls with auto and the 91 engine in it has about 90,000 miles on it. the only thing i can think of is to replace the air filter and maybe get some new injectors because i was told that the ones on the car now are old and dirty.
i know that i should be getting atleast another 100 miles per tank, i mean, i hear of guys with shorter geared trannies getting about 250 a tank and they race pretty often. someone help me please.

When was the last time you did the following:

• oil change
  • air filter change
  • fuel filter change
  • PCV valve change
  • spark plug change
  • spark plug wire check (replace if necessary)
  • distributor cap & rotor check (replace if necessary)
  • O2 sensor check (replace if necessary)
  • Coolant check (replace if necessary)

Those are off the top of my head. You should also check your injectors, but I’d leave that last since overhauling the injectors is pretty complex compared to the list above. And replacing them is quite a pretty penny.

Regards,

Oz

350-375 miles per tank

:slight_smile: i’m getting between 350-375 miles per tank and if you are not getting at least 275-300 miles per tank, u need to tune up your car

gas

The best ive gotten out of my 92 gs was 300 miles, but at that point i still hadnt gotten to the gas tank that lights up when you have approx 2.5 gallons left. I know the automatics arent as good on gas as standard, but thats really bad gas mileage. If you dont do alot of highway driving that is very explainable. Also Check your tire pressure.

i get exactly 260 miles on exactly 11.6 gallons, which is when my light comes on in my 92 gs. i have a dc sports dac air filter and i change my oil every 3000 miles. i drive comfortably, not racing but not granny, not flooring it but certainly leaving the stoplight quicker then most. this gives me exactly 22.41… mpg, which seems decent for the joy of driving it.

200? i hit 200 once cause i did quite a bit of highway driving that tank

in the city i usally get like 180 :frowning:

i have new plugs, wires, oil, intake, pcv valve, my hole distributor is new, coolent is fine

how do u check o2 censor, i thought check engine light comes on if thats bad

i need to replace fuel filter i just havnt gotten around to doing it, since im short on cash at the moment

hmm, my auto got 360 on striclty highway with b18a. about 280-310mpt on half city and half highway on b18b. the only thing i can tell you is check tires, and everything the other ppl said to check

200-250 is normal for an auto. do you even know how many gallons you used? saying 200 could mean you have 2 or 3 gallons left which means another 40 or more miles.
most ive gotten is 280… im averaging 18-22mpg. 90gs very clean emissions and maintained, altho i dunno about the fuel filter and my intake is generic and dark.

200-250 is normal for an auto

200 is horrible gas mileage, 250 is on a very bad day on driving city only. you should average 270 on the worst. i average about 290 on my automatic.

crap! i got exactly 20 mpg driving some highway some mostly city. THAT SUCKS! i should be getting more than that… im gonna change my oil and filter. I just put in an intake so that might be why… but still it doesnt have THAT big of an effect on it. i used that injector cleaner stuff like a week ago, so they are good. i have a new distributor… i dunno about my wires and plugs… but they look good and new. (btw, i bought my 92 GS about a month ago. )

hm my car is well tuned and very good shape at least before the 403’s were in my car. i have automatic and with mostly city and som ehighway i would get about 220 until light comes on and most highly i would get about 240 until light comes on. which is about 21 mpg i don’t know how you guys can get 300+. go you guys add the 2.5-3 gallons left when the light comes on to it?

hm my car is well tuned and very good shape at least before the 403’s were in my car. i have automatic and with mostly city and som ehighway i would get about 220 until light comes on and most highly i would get about 240 until light comes on. which is about 21 mpg i don’t know how you guys can get 300+. go you guys add the 2.5-3 gallons left when the light comes on to it?

maybe your car isn’t as well tuned as you thought it was?:shock:

:frowning:

i never run my tank to fuel light, i fill up when its a little above E or the line around 180 miles 190 mostly all city, maybe 30 of that highway

i replaced my fuel filter today

when i first got my car i got like 130. now i’m up to 250.

dude have you ever checked if there’s a hole in your gas tank or you’re loosing gas somewhere in between the tank and the engine?

I belive you need to adjust the valves. I messed up a little on a valve adjustment once and my mileage went way down. Didn’t take me long to get it right.

hey I’ve run below The red like into the letter E and my gas light never turns on is there a way I can test this?

hey I’ve run below The red like into the letter E and my gas light never turns on is there a way I can test this?

i asked the same question… you can go fill up after and see how many gallons you filled and subtract from 13.2 gallons and if your answer is more than 1.3 then your light shouldn’t have come on. if it’s less then 1.3 then you the light should have come on and there is something wrong.

heres an easier way to get mileage: when you fill up, you see how much you put in, and you divide miles since you last filled up by the number of gallons. this takes some time and a routine checking and fill up and resetting the odometer, but its the most accurate.