your worst repair mistakes!

This one isn’t Teg related, but it’s the worst I’ve ever done-

I was just finishing building up a 3.8 buick GN turbo motor, when I realized there was a broken oil pump housing bolt stuck in the block. So I’m drilling it out, while talking to a buddy, when the drill goes completely through the hole, and straight into the #2 cylinder- and yes, through the piston too. Happened in mid 98’, and I still get teased about it. Beat that!

yeah my front passenger wheel flew off while going 75mph in the first lane of a 5 lane freeway. that was pretty intense.

Originally posted by eddiedeader
Used a 50/50 ratio of Oxy clean and water… now my interior looks like it was gizzed on.

DAMMMMN…Kinda funny…BUT DAMNNNNN!!!

U can actually buy dye for ur interior…:burnout:

Havent done much mods to my teg but when I intaked my intake, I didnt reset the ECU for over a yr. Stupid me

Thanh

Originally posted by 707IntegraGS
[B]This one isn’t Teg related, but it’s the worst I’ve ever done-

I was just finishing building up a 3.8 buick GN turbo motor, when I realized there was a broken oil pump housing bolt stuck in the block. So I’m drilling it out, while talking to a buddy, when the drill goes completely through the hole, and straight into the #2 cylinder- and yes, through the piston too. Happened in mid 98’, and I still get teased about it. Beat that! [/B]

Holy CRAP!!! I don’t think anyone can beat that.

Originally posted by Adamm
Holy CRAP!!! I don’t think anyone can beat that.

Yea, I made this my number one rule: next motor buildup, make sure to check all thread holes BEFORE assembly. CHECK TWICE.:crazy:

putting on my S2000 antenna, the reception sucks arse no matter what I try

I have most of your beat. I bought a 92-93 front bumper cover and threw away my 90-91 becasue my parents wetre being stupid about taking up space in the garage, now I ran out of money and for the past 6+ months I have been riding around in a Beige car with a Red front bumper. Talk about ghetto. Oh well I care less and less about my car every day… :frowning:

Originally posted by E-DA9
after my recent motor rebuild I was driving it, took it to 7000rpm to seat the rings, then the battery light came on. a right turn into a side street and 5 seconds later I hear BANG! clunk clunk…Look in my rear view and I see my crank pulley lying on the road…I was SO lucky I found the key…

hahaha…I have done this too, but I was only going about 20 mph and I did not find my key. I had to buy a new one. less than $2.

left rear wheel lug nuts only put on finger tight…80 mph down the highway, ALMOST lost the wheel…i was sweating beads

Longest oil change ever

I was changing the oil for the first time and I turned the bolt on the oil pan the wrong direction and stripped it. I didn’t realize it was stripped until I was putting it back in and it wouldn’t screw back in. Had to use a saw to fix the bolt. Entire oil change took about 4 hours…

• First installation of a header I broke one of the studs.

• First t-belt/H2O pump change I misaligned the tensioner and it was flopping around, what a chore taking it all apart when you think you’re finished!

Not my worst but stupid none the less.
Oil Change: Simple right?

1. Drain Oil (unscrew oil plug)
  2. Unscrew Oil Filter
  3. Replace oil Filter
  4. Screw oil plug back in to the oil pan
  5. pour oil in

This works great unless you skip step Four, before moving onto step five. Four quarts of oil on the garage floor. Pain to clean up.
(But the good thing is now I double check before ever pouring oil into the engine.)

Used a 50/50 ratio of Oxy clean and water… now my interior looks like it was gizzed on.

lol

you guys have also popped the shock rod up and had runaway tires in the street too! haha i think those are the worst

I rebuilt a b17 for another member on the board and swapped it into his teg and the second we had it done and ready to go he cranked it over and every last bit of oil shot out the back of the engine onto the ground. Ends up that I put the head gasket on upside down/backwards. Everything lines up fine, except for that one oil passage…
Now I know that I will NEVER put one on wrong again. Luckily I got it fixed in under an hour, and that didnt include the time it took to get a new gasket.

Later,
BR

Wow. I worked at a tire place a few years ago and I put the lugs on backwards (pointy side out) but another tire guy found it. I also get nice big cuts from loosening bolts (you know, tight as hell then all of a sudden by by knuckles). Other than that I got nothing.

Ben

Not much for me except the normal stripped bolts and getting stuck because the place gave me the wrong cv axle.

Now stupid things I have done in a machine shop is another matter.

Is not resetting ECU really that serious for intakes? If so, then that would be one for me. Never heard of it until a while later.

haha dude that sux

Forgot to use a small amount of silicone on the water pump gasket to make sure it doesn’t slip outta place. Well it did (o-ring got crimped and leaks like a mother) and had to do the whole timing belt sh!t all over again…JOY

Ken