your worst repair mistakes!

LOL Nexidus, I remember that bumper! How ghet-to!

I had a similar experience to Chipper. I was on 695 and my car started vibrating and rattling like nobody’s business. I thought I’d broken an axle or something. This was the night before a 200+mile trip to VA. I propped up the car in the dark and couldn’t find a thing. I had to go to work the next day, so I had a shop look at it. Their diagnosis? Loose wheel nuts. Total cost? $60.:frowning:

Trying to tighten valvetrain bolts on a warm/hot head, ended up breaking three of the bolts. This was after putting on a new head.

Leaving the oil cap off for 3 miles.

Closing the hood, putting away all the tools, cleaning up, backing up the car for a test drive and finding that you forgot to put the crank pulley bolt on.

Breaking every possible bolt on DA rear control arms.

Originally posted by brinks
[B]This is a great thread. My worst:
Car slipped off jack, dented rear underside by the jacking point

[/B]

Agreed, and this is the worst thing I can think of right now that I have done. It was 1 day after Id been back from picking up my car from new paint and installing the Shu’s for the first time. Guess I was just too geddy to see them 18’s on there and got ahead of myself.

1. Jack slipped and i also dented the car, probably the same spot you guys are talking about, oh well side skirt covers it.

2. After engine rebuild, cranked the motor, forgot i left the oil filter half-screwed in, lost 4 quarts in a mere couple minutes.

3. After same engine rebuild, cranked the motor, forgot to crimp down radiator pipes near thermostat and tubes under intake manifold, lost it all before i realized what i had done, this was after my oil drained all out.

It was a real hard job cleaning all those fluids up.

Luckily nothing too bad for me… put in some white H3s and couldn’t figure out why I blue about 10 fuses,almost spent 60 bucks to have a electrician look at it when all i did was forget to cover the wire connection ( I felt like an idiot)

I was driving and thought I broke one of my axles…to it to the shop and they guy checked my lugs…yea its not a good thing when they can unscrew all of them with their fingers…luckily I got it fixed for free instead of $60.

I hope Im not the only one…bulb was goin out on my corner lense and if u bang it, it comes on…banged too hard one time and cracked it completely.

worst was this shop that put a cam plug on my car…I got about 3 miles away and smelled burning oil. Pulled off and popped the hood, oil EVERYWHERE. had it towed back the shop and the morons didn’t change the valve cover gasket. They cleaned some of the engine but the under part of my hood is still covered.

someone please answer about reseting the ecu for an intake? I have never heard of that one either and am curious.

Originally posted by NCteg91
[B]I hope Im not the only one…bulb was goin out on my corner lense and if u bang it, it comes on…banged too hard one time and cracked it completely.

someone please answer about reseting the ecu for an intake? I have never heard of that one either and am curious. [/B]

:lol:

ya whenever you mod anything you should reset the ecu so it can adjust to the modification. intake=more air. intake, exhaust, header, engine internals, replaced sensors, etc

opps…in that case I need to then since I put on ym exhaust and intake

My dumb ricer ass…

Not really a repair but I learned that big bodykits and steep driveways don’t mix…

The first day after I installed my full Black Widow kit, I take my teg to work and park it underground. I had night classes that day so I was in a hurry to leave work for school. Well, it turns out that the rear was only an inch and a half off the ground and the ramp to leave the underground lot was steeper than I thought.
As I leave, I hear this “CRACK!!” I pulled out onto the street and I hear this scraping sound. Pulled over and see half my bumper dragging on the ground. :shock: Ran back to work and grabbed a tape gun and TAPED that mofo back on.

Went to school and when I finally limped home, I broke whatever was left holding my bumper on trying to get up my driveway. Looked in my rearview and saw it tumbling down my driveway!! :tsk: HAHAHA good thing nobody was around to laugh.

One more idotic thing,

A few years back, I was changing the lightbulbs in my CRX and one of the bulbs shattered in my hand cuz of water in the tail light. My friends took me to the hospital where I sat for 2 hours bleeding in the Emergency waiting room. (emergency and waiting are oxymorons right?) Required 5 stitches in my thumb.

They still bring that up everytime we see giant lightbulb fixtures.
:roll:

I was doing something with the brakes and I had the caliper off. For some reason I was pressing the brake and the piston popped halfway out and wouldn’t go back in. I had to take it to a shop to pop it back in. 20 min. brake job drug on over night.

I didn’t know that the rear brakes piston need to be screwed down so I broke one of those (damn I can’t remember what it’s called, horrible) things to smash it back into place. And I just ended up putting everything back on and had someone else do it, then I learned.

Once I forgot to put the dipstick back and I smelled something and when I popped the hood there was oil everywhere, plus (this was a header install) I didn’t put the gasket to where the downpipe and the cat connect so my car sounded like $hit.

When I put on my RAM air I left the mudguard hanging and I drove like that, then, I heard a loud noise and look in the mirror and I see it tumbling behind me…I left it and to this day I roll like that.

I forgot to put a spacer for the motor mount and my engine was sitting crooked, I rolled around like that for a week, until I made a U-turn and CLUNK! my axle popped out where the bearings fit into the part that goes in the tranny.

I don’t have any MAJOR accidents, knuckle busters up the ass but nothing life threatning.

zumspeed takes the cake as the first and only one to go to the emergency room. i still think i rank 2nd if not 1st for effort

first in effort?? Dang, I wasn’t trying to win this poll.

zumspeed takes it IMO but redline’s stll cracks me up…I would be sooo pissed.

This is gonna be long… But worth it.

About 4 years ago I tried to install an oil pressure guage. I put the car up on Jackstands and crawled underneath so I could install the Oil Pressure Sender on the back of the block. I removed the existing Oil Pressure Switch, and installed a “T-fitting” so I could run both the Switch for the existing light, and a sender for the new guage. In order to make it fit, I also had to use an “90 degree elbow” in-line with the “T”. I didn’t know about the “BSP/NPT” adapter that was needed back then.

In the process of installing the new “Sensor tree From Hell”, the Wrench Slipped countless times and I banged my hand all over the place. :mad:

I finally finished and connected all the wiring. I started the car and watched the new oil pressure guage work… :smiley:

Then, after about 40 seconds, the Guage fell to “0 PSI” and the Oil Light Came on. :whoa:

I turned off the car and walked around the front to see what was wrong. Only to find a Huge puddle of oil under the car, and oil dripping from the underside of the hood all over the engine.:bawl:

Got the garden hose and tried my best to wash away the oil puddle so I could see what had happened. I crawled under the car (in a big oily Nasty Puddle) and removed the “Sender Tree from Hell” for inspection. Everything looked fine. I added Teflon Tape to all the connections and re-attached. (Back in the puddle with some more busted knuckes).

I added some more oil and re-started the car… Oil Guyser again!!! :rant:

By this time, My Wife comes out to see why I am Standing in the driveway Cursing and Kicking the tool box like a lunatic!!!

I try to Wash away the new oil puddle and crawl back under the car… I still see nothing wrong. I retighten everything again!!!

Add more oil and re-start…

There goes the oil guyser again!!!

@#$% #$@%@# @#$% $%^* @#% !!!

I Crawl back under the @#$% car (didn’t even bother to clean the oil puddle this time) Proceed to rip out the “Oil Sender Tree From Hell” and remove the Factory Oil Pressure Switch (I needed it). Once the factory switch was in a “Safe Location” I proceeded to Hurl the remainder of the “Sender Tree From Hell” Down the street as hard as I could!!!. Not satisfied with the Minimal amount of damage caused by it’s flight (It skipped twice on the pavement) I proceeded to walk down the block to retrieve it and slam it on the ground as hard as I could (that did the trick… I felt Much better).

I then walked back to the car… Calmly Crawled back into the puddle, and re-attached the stock oil pressure Switch.

Added Oil and started the car…

you guessed it… OIL GUYSER!!! :bang:

I totally lost it… My Wife Was trying to calm me down, but Every time she would open her mouth to re-assure me, She would bust out into uncontrollable laughter :lol: (Maybe it was the oil dripping from my hair).

I asked her to Please Start the %@#$% car while I looked under the %^#$%^ hood to determine where the $%#%^ guyser was coming from… She did.

I found it…

Turns out one of the times the Wrench slipped off the “Sender Tree From Hell”, It smacked the corner of the oil filter and made a pinhole sized crack in the edge of it. every time the car started, a stream of oil would shoot up, Bounce off the underside of the hood, and rain down on the engine and floor.

She Went to the auto parts (She wouldn’t let me use her car in my condition) and got me an new oil filter and some oil… Problem solved…

I never did install the #$%@#% Oil Pressure Guage :tsk::

Ooh, after reading that it reminded me of another time when I was working at a tire place. I went to the back to pump all the oil out of one of the oil catch carts we used for oil changes. So I hooked everything up and it all pumped fine until the end. I thought all the pressure was out of the cart so I undid the little fastners and BOOM! The hose shot off and I was covered in oil. I mean covered, it took me about 4 showers to get all of it off. God, what a horrible experience.

Ben

this just in-

i broke the stock o2 sensor while trying to remove it with a hammer. the case broke off but i hammered it back in and was able to use it for a few days until i bought a new one. ran fine until i would floor it and the cel would come on :stuck_out_tongue:

Oil Cap Story

If you think 3 miles is bad, try 100 miles. I had an old beater a few years back that burned oil so before we left I put some oil in and forgot to put the cap back on. I drove the car on some pretty rough roads and you would think that something would have happened but no not until I actually go to my destination.

Sitting in traffic I notice that the motor is smoking from under the hood. Coming out the tailpipe I would expect but from the front this worried me. I pulled into a parking lot and proceeded to open the hood to find the engine and most of the compartment covered in oil. Good thing it was not hot that day or it would have caught fire.

After driving to Canadian Tire to get some Shop Towels I had my 2 friends in the car helping me to clean-up as much of the oil is possible. When I got rid of the car a couple years later you could still see the oil in places that you couldn’t reach.

When I was learning to drive I didn’t understand the concept to slowing down to take corners so I just about flipped the car when I tried to take a 90 degree turn at about 60. It wasn’t an Integra, it was a truck.

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
[B]Trying to tighten valvetrain bolts on a warm/hot head, ended up breaking three of the bolts. This was after putting on a new head.

Leaving the oil cap off for 3 miles.

Closing the hood, putting away all the tools, cleaning up, backing up the car for a test drive and finding that you forgot to put the crank pulley bolt on.

Breaking every possible bolt on DA rear control arms. [/B]

brakes

while i was changing my front rotors and pads… i was lubing up the shim for the brake bads. all of a sudden the lube started looking a bit purple/red. i was like what the hell??? little did i know. the shims made a deep slice in my hand!! ouch!! nxt time… wearing gloves.

umph that the worst is spending fringing $225 on a fast idle valve instead of getting a skunk 2 intake manifold what a waste of fringng money :loser:

Re: your worst repair mistakes!

Originally posted by XDEep
[B]stole the topic from ti.net

here’s mine:

auto related

drilled hole through gas tank.

wheel fell off and rolled into opposing traffic for about a quarter mile. either because the shop broke one of my studs or i failed to tighten the remaining 3 enough.

muffler fell off in street. clamps not secure enough.

jack slipped, dented the side, but not really visible.

car too low, bottomed out hard a few times, went home to readjust coilovers.

broke bleeder valve, good thing i had a spare integra waiting for the insurance to tow away.

forgot oil cap, oil spewed under hood.

bent valve- few days after my first valve adjustment. not 100% sure if that was the cause.

overtorque’d valve cover nuts.

broke hose at bottom of pcv valve while handling the intake manifold. had to route a new one.

forgot a bushing/plate or two on front shocks, rod shot up through engine bay, good thing it didnt pop through hood.

-various stripped nuts, broken bolts, cracked plastic, lost nuts, broken clips, etc.

audio related

shorted cap, giant fireball in face, friend behind me jumped back.

blew kicker L7

tore weatherstripping while trying to fit box in trunk

-various miswiring’s, shorts, blown fuses, etc.

*overall: various cuts, bruises, bloody tools/parts, sun burns, horrid tan lines, etc.

wow i never realized what a huge moron i am! [/B]

so what you’re saying is don’t anyone ever let you work on they’re car…j/p man