anyone boosting with a b16 cable tranny?

Was wondering if anyone is boosting on a b16 tranny. I have one in great shape that needs a clutch and I’d rather not get rid of it, but I want to change the fifth gear. I know it will bark tires and go through the gears and whatnot, but I was wondering if anyone has had any hands on experiences with this to have some input. Just weighing options cause i really don’t want to buy another tranny and a clutch, at least for right now. thx

I also want to know if anyone is running a b16 short geared tranny with turbo. I’ve heard different things about it.

jdm ys1 lsd cable trans here with comp clutch 6 puck sprung on ls-v-t 16 psi
love the trans but gears are real short. i do want to change the 5th gear out for highway driving.

I ran the JDm B16 J1 tranny on my built setup. Although I run 24.9" tall tires to lengthen the gearing, but I love the overall gearing. Perfect for a mild to medium powered setup. I snapped 4th gear doing a pull tho, and now run the even shorter GSR YS1 cable tranny that has an even shorter 5th gear. Still lovin it. Just made 488whp on a mustang dyno on 21psi

what do you guys mean by too short whats wrong with short gears on boost?:hmm:

Ppl are just worried it’ll rev too fast, unless ppl still believe the whole “LS trans is better cause you stay in boost longer” theory :giggle:

Shorter gearing will generally always = faster times, if you have traction.

thx for the replies, i knew there were people on here boosted with it, but you know how people say it’s bad. I hate the 5th, but I just wanted to hear some opinions. I wanted to keep my y1 tranny w/lsd, but I want to take off my type r final drive and 5th gear. I need a clutch now and i really like the tranny, but i have to make some changes if i keep it.

Tchleung; did you change your 5th gear if not is it ‘‘buging’’ you on the highway? This whole time I thought short gearing on boost was bad but I did not understand why… and I sold my rare b17 tranny and now I think I have to look for another b17/b16 short gear cable tranny.:mad:

Nope 5th gear does not bug me, and I drive 50kms to work, and 50 kms back home 5 days a week on the highway. But everyone has a breaking point. my exhaust system is relatively quiet. And my car is gutted in the back half, and no sound deadening

I hate the 5th cause I’m above 4k at 80mph and go through
rotor buttons and distributor caps easily. Has anyone seen a good write-up of a 5th gear swap they can link?

i absolutley love my j1 b16, car is currently making 405 whp. dynod last week on our new shops dyno.

Nice and short love the lsd… i can go as fast as i can shift:rockon:

thx for replies again. I just thought that it would be a waste since 5th gear winds up so fast. Would put a quick beating on it on the interstate without taking it up higher if need be…, not promoting high speed racing and all. Just thinking even now i hate to hit 90mph cause i have to let off so quick. Still deciding and just got the cash. Opinions helped a lot.

[QUOTE=jdeexir;1807918]jdm ys1 lsd cable trans here with comp clutch 6 puck sprung on ls-v-t 16 psi
love the trans but gears are real short. i do want to change the 5th gear out for highway driving.[/QUOTE]

x2 on same setup, highway is only thing id change.

a does a b16 jdm j1 tranny comes with lsd…

No they do not, maybe some, but I don’t think so. as all J1’s I’ve seen and had did not

the USDM GSR tranny is even shorter then the cable jdm b16 trannys unless you change the FD. I love my tranny GSR YS1 and I would never change it. long gears and boost is a myth… We’ve had our cut throat topics more then once guys… :violin:

it depends on how much power you have. shorted gears always mean faster acceleration assuming you have traction.
the bigest downfall we have is that our cars are fwd and your really dont have much traction on the streets when your making big power.

if your not making much power like 200-250whp then sure a short geared lsd b16 tranny will be great and will help with acceleration.

i have the shorted geared b16 jdm ys1 lsd b16 tranny and i’m making 400whp on 91 octane with 14 psi of boost and the tranny sucks because i am making too much power to have any traction at all in all gears except for 5th gear and the top of 4th gear. i’m sure a super long geared LS tranny with lsd would help with traction and would probably make my car faster.

He speaks the truth, I’m at abotu 550whp on 24.9" drag radials and it completley spins 4th gear to redline. Only on my 25.4" Bias plys does it not spin thru 4th gear. I would have gone to a LS tranny now but then I’d have to change my entire lineup of wheels and tires that I have setup for the short gearing.

just to revamp thread…U guys are making lots of power. I plan to hit around 300hp with lots of torque to match, if everything goes right. Boostin a ls with cams and I decided to keep this tranny. I hope not to have the type of traction problems u guys are having at 400-500hp. What do you guys think?

Oh and found out that I have a ys1 and not a Y1 like the guy told me. This is a definent plus so I may be able to find a 5th gear now if I decide to change it later. Hope to boost by summer.

YS1’s comes in both, long and short geared versions.
I’m assuming that it’s a short geared version since you are considering changing the final drive?