anyone boosting with a b16 cable tranny?

what’s so bad having a ls boost with b16 tranny in 5th gear???

rpms are high

…this is why I love my LS tranny. I dont do that 1/8 mile-quarter mile stuff. Drive mine daily and always catch some punk kid revin’ at me in a b16 civic and a starter turbo kit when I’m cruising @ 65-70 miles per hour. Have to dump it into 4th, come into full boost @ 16psi, then let 5th gear do its magic from there. Kid still high revin’ in 5th struggling to keep up.
Note: Gas milage is great in 5th also, 3500rpms @ 73 miles per hour verses, what; 4200-4500rpms on a b16 or a GSR tranny?..:dance:

to all the guys making decent power 300hp+ what motor are you guys using, because yea b16 tranny or the b17 tranny are short, but mated to a vtec motor with more revs, i dont think its be so bad.

I mean it is what ever you feel comfortable with. If you want to go to the quarter or 1/8 mile track, then that b16 or b17 tranny would be right for you.
I’m running 328.1hp & 240tq on all LS motor and tranny, but I will NEVER race at an 1/8 mile track on my tranny, maybe a quarter, but dont care too much bout straight line racing.
Then you say “mated to a VTEC motor”, what would be the revs in 5th gear? Is this your daily driver?

I have a b16 motor! I would rev anywhere from 8,000-9,200 just depends my turbo was still making power that high. I am putting a b16 trans in my car in the next few weeks and throwing a new turbo setup on the car. For all you LS trans users, it’s nothing wrong with the trans for daily driving and even racing, but as far as pick and accel, when you go from a LS to GSR or B16 trans pick up of the car is like a night and day difference, regardless if the car has VTEC or not. I have driven a few cars with GSR trannies and I now see way everyone likes them. Even boosted I swear I was in 3rd gear forever compared to other cars I would race, they would shift twice before I even got out of 3rd.

im making 400 with b16 tranny and its great i love the short gears. im rebuilding a gsr ys1 now with 94+ gsr 5th gear,carbon syncros,all new bearing.i think the ys1 has even shorter gear than b16

I’m running the GSR YS1 cable trans and I’m making over 600whp now and it’s fine for me. I rev to 9500rpm. I know that if I had an LS tranny, I’d be much slower.

Stick with the short geared tranny.

well with this whole thing of ls tranny vs short geared trannies…ive read many posts and many threads about it. im running a stock ls turbo setup with a ls trans. the reason why i read these threads is because i love boost, and i can never see myself going all motor, another reason is because i have a gsr motor with a b16 trans that i will eventually turbo…and so far on boost i like how the LS tranny is geared. i think that im going to have put the b16 trans with my LS-T set up to see how i like it, then im going have have to put the ls trans on the gsr when i swap everything over to turbo it, and then use the b16 tranny. I will write down lots of info on this and then share it with you guys…and ofcourse along with a dyno sheet too so you guys can see what kind of power im making.

in the end i think its all about preference, personal goals of what you want to do with your car, and if you are lucky enough to have both a ls trans and a short geared tranny to test which one you like best. personally, im still debating on which one to use, but like i said i will try them both…in the mean time i like the Ls tranny on boost, but who knows maybe ill have a change of heart and lke the short geared tranny better. Another thing that one g2ic member brought up to my attention was suspension. i posted that right now i spin all the way through 3rd and sometimes 4th…and i said there would be no way i could use the b16 tranny. He said something that i did not think about when i posted on that thread. do you have a LSD(i dont have one yet), do you have good tires (i have ok tires), is your suspension dialed in(and i said no to myself again.) since then i got my car aligned and the traction bars hav been adjusted…and now the tires spin less at 10psi, b4 i was running 8psi. I think if all of these things are set up correctly these short geared tranny questions would not be all over the forums, but i do understand that some people prefer power over very little suspension upgrades, or they want power 1st and think about suspension waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy later down the line when its apparent that a huge upgrade is needed.

Whenever have a car that makes more power then factory, you HAVE to upgrade EVERYTHING else, drivetrain, suspension, and the most important thing of all, brakes.

yea, i agree which is why i have the avid traction bars, ground controls with kyb agx, energy suspension bushings all around, and front camber kit…i would consider my suspension above average, and i know i def need a LSD, and im about to do the accord front brake upgrade too

[QUOTE=Tchleung;1922152]I’m running the GSR YS1 cable trans and I’m making over 600whp now and it’s fine for me. I rev to 9500rpm. I know that if I had an LS tranny, I’d be much slower.

Stick with the short geared tranny.[/QUOTE]

tch; whats your new set up? you making 600 now last i heard was 550. what did you do? a diff turbo,tuning,engine work,headwork? fck things you do really makes me want to ship my car to B.C. and let you handle it

The car now runs purely on Av gas low lead 100 octane. That coupled with my water injection is basically race gas. So more timing, and more boost = yay :smiley:

140mph traps now :smiley: Gonna have to setup a parachute soon when I get near the 150 mark lol.

[QUOTE=Tchleung;1922521]The car now runs purely on Av gas low lead 100 octane. That coupled with my water injection is basically race gas. So more timing, and more boost = yay :smiley:

140mph traps now :smiley: Gonna have to setup a parachute soon when I get near the 150 mark lol.[/QUOTE]

is it still a DD? do you do everything yourself? do you build and tune for other ppl?do yiu have your own shop?

It is insured yes, but to be hoenst, I drive it only a couple times a week now. The car is unfortunantly getting to the point that it is kinda a pain to drive around. And the gas gets expensive lol. I have a differnet car that I drive everyday. And yes I do everything myself, I couldn’t afford to pay anyone to do my work these days. I’ve helped build motors, but never built one directly for a customer. I tune cars all the time yes. No shop.

thx for all your replies, im really thinking about shipping the car to B.C. for you to working on if i dont find anybody good in toronto.do you mind?

I’d like to thank people for their replies as well even though I have decided to stick with it too. I just don’t have traction bars or suspension bushings. Hoping to get that sometime soon. How much did the carbon syncros and fifth gear cost? If I ever drop the tranny again I will most likely do this myself.

Excuse the bringing up of an old thread, but I have a couples questions.

Has anybody swapped an LS final drive into a B16 Y1?

I’m positive I’ll swap 5th for highway driving, but I’m thinking that the LS FD would also make the gears a little taller, and help with traction…

Will it really give you traction problems if you’re under 300whp, have sticky tires, a traction bar, and a LSD?

lol taller gears don’t help with traction. Delete that from your brain. :dozing: