anyone boosting with a b16 cable tranny?

[QUOTE=riceball777;1869504]i have the shorted geared b16 jdm ys1 lsd b16 tranny and i’m making 400whp on 91 octane with 14 psi of boost and the tranny sucks because i am making too much power to have any traction at all in all gears except for 5th gear and the top of 4th gear. i’m sure a super long geared LS tranny with lsd would help with traction and would probably make my car faster.[/QUOTE]less to do with the trans, more to do with the driver.

first, you have to understand what a transmission really does. its a tq mulitiplier. plain and simple. gear ratios increas tq out put to levels that can move the car. with that understanding, you can make the leap in power (applied tq via the shorter box) work in your favor.

ok, take the guy above. but since he failed to give a tq number, lets make one up. say 350 ft lbs. but its only 350 ft lbs at 2k-4k rpm. then it drops to 260 ft lbs at 4.5k to 6k. and then drops even more to only 250 ft lbs at 6.5k. so knowing how tq is applied, via the transmission, the guy above should launch his car above 6.5k rpm. this will give the most traction due to the lack of appliable tq.

now other things can effect this also. driver skill, final multiple of ratio after tire size, etc. on big thing we have in our favor, is the fact that most of our cars don’t make boost while free reving. well, minus the guys with a two step, etc. so, this means our tq numbers will be even lower then rated on the dyno.

i had zero issues with a b16 trans in my last db1. it was boosted and loved the trans. the shorter box will always be better then the longer box. well so long as you have enough rpm or gearing to make it to the end of the 1320, or whatever your sport is.

still working on my boost setup, tryin to paint for the spring atm. So far im still planning to keep the short geared tranny. And that is some interesting info too. ^^^