catch can question

I’ve read the turbo guide on pcv setups but am just wondering if I should be using a catch can with an open breather (filter on top) or closed. In the guide it shows the use of the moroso can as a closed setup but according to moroso’s site it comes as an open breather. I was thinking of picking up an open breather catch can with two ports, hooking one to the pcv port (remove old pcv valve) and the other to my pre intake pipe. Will this still work with an open can or should I just stick to a closed system? Im thinking that the setup may not work because the vacuum will just be pulling air from the atmosphere instead of the block. Any insight would be great. thanks

closed can will need a vac source. open can needs no vac source

ok i’ve read a lot about hooking up catchcans, and i’ve seen people tapping into the valvecover and adding extra ports for the can (kms style for example). why wouldn’t they just use the 2 ports that are on the valvecover instead of adding more?

i’m asking because my jdm b18b has a pcv hole on the valve cover and another which usually gets a little breather filter or goes to the intake piping on na cars. can i use both ports on the valve cover and use a “open” catchcan?

the reason people add more ports to the valve cover is so that there are more routes for the pressure to escape.

but can i hook the catch can up like i’m saying? only reason i can think i couldn’t is if there is no way to relief pressure, i have a breather on mine so it should be ok. if i can’t could you explain why? thanks

i don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to. i’m kind of wondering the same thing. i want to run an open can aswell with one coming from the valve cover and one coming from where the pcv valve was removed. i need to know if the open or closed setup will benefit my motor more.

in theory any setup that relieves pressure from the block is beneficial, to be on the safe side i’d say go with an open one. i made a catch can from an old coolant overflow, i put a fitting on it to hold a breather filter, and 1 hose i used is coming from the corner vent. breaths just fine, and definately catches some nasty shit that i really didn’t expect to see.

my setup just lets out a lot of fumes so i am hoping when i hookup the pcv hose, or where the pcv used to be, it’ll suck some of the fumes back in and keep the smell down.

[QUOTE=turboB18Ls;2019662]in theory any setup that relieves pressure from the block is beneficial, to be on the safe side i’d say go with an open one. i made a catch can from an old coolant overflow, i put a fitting on it to hold a breather filter, and 1 hose i used is coming from the corner vent. breaths just fine, and definately catches some nasty shit that i really didn’t expect to see.

my setup just lets out a lot of fumes so i am hoping when i hookup the pcv hose, or where the pcv used to be, it’ll suck some of the fumes back in and keep the smell down.[/QUOTE]

if you hook up the pcv hose to the catch can it will be pushing more fumes in rather than sucking out.

acutally i believe only under boost will it be forcing into the catch can, under regular driving it will be in vacuum.

ok but hooking both hoses up won’t hurt anything right? cause it has a breather and should vent through that? i’m gonna do it tonight if i get a chance and i’ll post what happens.

so just to be clear, you are hooking up 2 ports from the valve cover and the hose from the pcv to the catch can? if that is correct, then you should be fine with a vented can.

ummm not sure i get what your saying…i have no little black box on the back of the block, my pcv valve was on my valvecover to start with (96 jdm b18b motor), and it got vacuum from the intake manifold…since i’m turboed, there is no pcv valve and now the vacuum line goes to my blow off valve instead. i’m using the old pcv valve hole on the valve cover, and the other port that is on the pass side corner of the valve cover (the one people normally put the breather on) as lines going to the catch can.

still in theory, if they are both blowing or sucking at the same time, it’s still vented so the crank won’t pressurize

if i could figure out how to post pics i would cause that would be easier…

[QUOTE=turboB18Ls;2020190]ummm not sure i get what your saying…i have no little black box on the back of the block, my pcv valve was on my valvecover to start with (96 jdm b18b motor), and it got vacuum from the intake manifold…since i’m turboed, there is no pcv valve and now the vacuum line goes to my blow off valve instead. i’m using the old pcv valve hole on the valve cover, and the other port that is on the pass side corner of the valve cover (the one people normally put the breather on) as lines going to the catch can.

still in theory, if they are both blowing or sucking at the same time, it’s still vented so the crank won’t pressurize

if i could figure out how to post pics i would cause that would be easier…[/QUOTE]

oh i’m not familiar with the jdm b18b motor but it sounds simple enough. i’m pretty sure you will be fine venting both those ports to the vented catch can. i think that setup will help but the bottom end may still pressurize somewhat. i don’t know if that makes sense.

makes plenty of sense, i think it’ll be fine though. haven’t tried it yet, i’m trying to fix a sticking wastegate…little more important

alright, keep us posted

Sorry all but i’m confused as hell when it comes to Catch Cans.

My setup is a boosted poor mans Type-R. GSR bottom with B16 head. I still have the stock PCV Box on the back of the motor connectted with the stock PCV valve to the intake manifold.

The valve cover vent in currently just venting to the atmosphere right now but I would rather do a closed loop system to avoid tickets.

Shoud I just leave my stock PCV box and sytem in place and just run the vent from the Valve cover to the can? Where do I put the other hose from the catch can…do I need to add a fittig into my intake piping?

check the turbo guide for a good closed loop setup. it mimics the stock pcv system where air goes into the valve cover, through the block, out the stock black box, into the catch can and then back into the pre turbo pipe. the only downside i can see to this is that you will be reusing the dirty air from the motor.

well it’s not really dirty air, its like hydrocarbons and vapors and stuff that your car would normally be sucking up and burning anyways.

i hooked up both ports from the valve cover to my catchcan and it’s definately catching more nasty stuff, but it’s still smells because i have a breather system. it seemed to calm down some of the smell but i’m now thinking that the only was to completely get rid of it is to replace the breather with a vaccum source, wich on a turbo build is on the turbo inlet, and have it all sucked in and burned. i have a filter right on my turbo so i need to make an inlet pipe for it or find a way to make a vacuum source.

instead of making an inlet pipe and making a port on that for vacuum could i just drill and tap a hole and install a port in the side of the inlet housing where the filter/inlet pipe clamps onto?? space is sort of cramped cause of the way i have my intercooler piping looping around, and it makes it hard to fit a pipe and filter in the space cause the inlet is on the driver side of my car.

You can use and extension pipe and a smaller air filter.

My turbo inlet diameter is 2" and I made a 4" extension pipe and tapped two ports as stated in the G2IC turbo Guide.

I used a smaller air filter (from K&N, I think it’s a breather filter from a v8).

I am using 2 catch cans - One goes from the PCV - Moroso catch can - then back to the Pre-Turbo 4" extension pipe that I made.

Second one is a Greddy catch can goes from the Valve Cover barb fitting - to Greddy Catch Can - then back to the pre-turbo 4" extension pipe.

[QUOTE=turboB18Ls;2026151]well it’s not really dirty air, its like hydrocarbons and vapors and stuff that your car would normally be sucking up and burning anyways.

i hooked up both ports from the valve cover to my catchcan and it’s definately catching more nasty stuff, but it’s still smells because i have a breather system. it seemed to calm down some of the smell but i’m now thinking that the only was to completely get rid of it is to replace the breather with a vaccum source, wich on a turbo build is on the turbo inlet, and have it all sucked in and burned. i have a filter right on my turbo so i need to make an inlet pipe for it or find a way to make a vacuum source.

instead of making an inlet pipe and making a port on that for vacuum could i just drill and tap a hole and install a port in the side of the inlet housing where the filter/inlet pipe clamps onto?? space is sort of cramped cause of the way i have my intercooler piping looping around, and it makes it hard to fit a pipe and filter in the space cause the inlet is on the driver side of my car.[/QUOTE]

Here’s some more info on the breather filters

http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm