Dashpot and other intake mani line??

I think this only applies to the 90-91s, but how should this be plumbed as far as upper IC piping is concerned?? can the dashpot see boost? what about the other line from the manifold(I think its the “starting air valve”)…any input??

If you’re speaking of that little UFO-saucer looking thing that has the rod comming from the throttle body that is only moved when the throttle is completely closed…then I’d recomend just taking the thing off, cause guess what…it does absolutely nothing. It can’t provide air at idle, because the tube runs before the throttle plate, and there are no sensors attached to it. Take the 2 skrews off, and see for yourself.

Now if you’re talking about the thing in the middle of the manifold that looks like 2 of the UFO flying saucers, then I’m not entirely sure…I’ve seen those before, but not enough to get a good look at them, take them off and fool around with them. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a one way valve that closed under pressure (full throttle on NA cars, and boost on FI cars)

cool, yeah you explained exactly what I’m talking about…ignore the yellow ricer hoses, lol. so basically I can leave the dashpot line and let it see boost since it has an in-line check valve(which is the leftmost purple arrow)…as for the other line can I just get rid of that and cap off where it leads to(the red arrow) right? Thanks for the help its much appreciated, I’m getting my IC pipes made next week and wanna be sure to do it right :smiley:

(blue arrow = dashpot)
(red arrow= air valve thingy)

I’ve removed both the red arrow thingy and the blue arrow thingy. However I think that the red arrow one is the dashpot, but I could be wrong. What I am SURE about though, is that you can’t read any vacuum/boost from the hose on the red arrow thing. I tried it with my boost guage.

You can just unscrew the blue one, and I just took off the red one the other day. I just got a sheet of aluminum and made a little block off plate for it. It was pretty simple. I’ll try to take some pictures for you guys.

P.S. I took mine off so I could put a strut bar on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and where you have the yellow hose on the red arrow thing, I just had that plugged and it never affected my drivability, so I don’t know what it does; but you can just take it off.

thanks for all the help guys…stu, pics would be cool if its no trouble :smiley:

Stu the dashpot is most definately the blue arrow :up:

What’s the other one called then? So, now that we know, the dash pot can just be unscrewed and thrown aside, but the hole left by the other thing for sure needs to be plugged, as well as the line that runs to the manifold. You can buy a vacuum hose plug thing at Checker for like <$2.00. And you can’t get vacuum that tube coming off the red one.

Also, I don’t have any vacuum hoses running into my intake, and my car runs fine, is there anything I should take a second look at?

cool…then thats the route I’ll go, just remove those suckers and block the holes off…so basicllay I shouldn’t have to have ANY vacuum hose bungs welded into my upper IC pipe then

Just unskrew the BLUE arrow. That’s the thing that does absolutely nothing. The RED arrow is the thing that I’m not sure exactly what it does…though I think it has something to do with idle…I’m pretty sure that the 90-91’s are the only ones that have it…I don’t (i have a 93)…I did have a jdm manifold from like a b16a1ish that did have the RED arrow thing…but yea. trash the BLUE thing.

Originally posted by agentzero
Just unskrew the BLUE arrow. That’s the thing that does absolutely nothing

ummm :bs:

Actually, the dashpot makes it so that the throttle body closes much more smoothly. If you were to take it off, your car WOULD start, run, idle correctly, however if you’re in gear and let off the throttle, instead of your car slowly shifting from acceleration to deceleration, it would become a much more sudden THUD.

If you’ve ever ridden a motorcycle you’ll understand what i’m talking about. If you’re on a bike, and go from any % throttle to 0% it just nosedives and the deceleration is amazingly noticable.

Moral of the story: Don’t say things “do absolutely nothing” unless you know what you’re talking about. I don’t think honda would toss it on their engines just for the hell of it :up:

I don’t have my dashpot either but I do have that other thingy. I think I may take it off too…

Okay. lotsa misinfo here. the one with the check valve is your throttle valve dashpot system. it uses vacuum so that when you release the throttle quickly, instead of the throttle rotor snapping back hard, it tries to slow down speed at which is closes so it’s not so “jerky” as some ppl say they experience with it off. the other one in the middle of that intake manifold is your starting air valve system. when you crank your engine. the dashpot will open and flow air through the system to ease the starting. it’s even in the helms. in my car, i don’t have any of the hoses hooked up. they are sitting there in the open off the dashpots. my throttle release is just like it was before with it hooked up, and my car starts the same. I really do think they are usless tho. why else are all the newer designs after the G2 stopped using them. My ITR manifold doesn’t have either.

AAH!! thanks tchleung and devlins. That makes plenty more sense now…I should’ve known that one. Even though I have the one disconnected, I don’t have the “jerky throttle close”…I should put one on, and see what it does.

what is a noe?

Originally posted by agentzero
AAH!! thanks tchleung and devlins. That makes plenty more sense now…I should’ve known that one. Even though I have the one disconnected, I don’t have the “jerky throttle close”…I should put one on, and see what it does.

I guarentee you won’t notice a single difference lol.

Originally posted by Haberdasher
what is a noe?

ya ya my typing skills are non existant. I meant one.

hehe
I’ll edit it.

Here are those pictures I promised.
Here is a shot of the block off plate for the
red thing, and the bolt holes for the dashpot.

Crapy upclose picture of the block off plate, but I couldn’t get farther away from the front.

Here you can see the plug for the hose from the red thing, and the way I routed my boost guage lines. The boost guage is iin line with the map sensor right now, I’ll need to change that when the turbo goes on. The map needs to be alone.

Here is a gereral engine shot. The car came with this crappy home made intake. It was a cold air, but I sucked some water into my motor one day after I lost my fenderwell, so I took my hand held grinder to it and it’s much better now. :slight_smile:

I’m going to put some pictures of my oil lines in my other thread if anyone is interested.

niice setup but for the boost gauge line. you should really use a grommet where the line goes through the firewall. Wouldn’t want it constantlyslicing into the firewall until it opens up you know. atleats tape that section of the lnie with alot of electrical tape or something… heh

Thanks, but make sure not to copy me when you do that. Apparantly the map sensor needs to be on it’s own vacuum source.

yeah hehe. jsut branch them all off your brake booster.