GSR 1.7 or LS Tranny For Turbo

I have searched and searched but most of it comes up with LS block which people say to go with the b16 tranny.

I have a 92 GSR 1.7 and plan to make 400+ on pump gas with my set up. With the gearing being short on the b17 tranny I was wondering If I should keep my current tranny and add a LS 5th gear or just switch right over to an LS tranny with LSD so I can be in boost longer.

Suggestions Please!

GSR tranny, search!!! I believe you will drop out of your power band/VTEC with a LS tranny, and it has been discussed A LOT that an LS tranny doesnt actually “keep you in boost longer”.

So I should just go with an LS 5th gear in my 1.7 GSR tranny?

It doesn’t keep you in boost longer, but it will help you not spin as much

That may be true, but you said in your original post,

If I should keep my current tranny and add a LS 5th gear or just switch right over to an LS tranny with LSD so I can be in boost longer.

I still think the GSR is the way to go, depending on the kind of driving/racing this is for. Everyone loves the short gears for drag, as it results in the fastest accelleration. If it is for street driving, the short gears will be the most fun as well, and with an LS 5th, it will be great. Also, if it is for drag, just get slicks and you shouldnt have any trouble.

Its mainly going to be a street car. Ill take er to the track maybe 1-2 times a month:)

my personal preference is ls. i blew my first ls then got a ys1 not knowing if it was the ls or gsr ys1. ended up being the gsr and i HATED it. if you have no traction with an ls, brace yourself with the gsr cause you’ll be spinning in fourth. gears were way to short. on the highway the engine rev’s ridiculously high. i got another ls the next day.

ls 5th in gsr trans+ boost+ls motor will be the best bet

i hated my GSR trans with boost+LS motor
always get pwnd on top end toping out at 123mphish

after i put my LS back in it was way more fun

edit- u have a GSR engine

gsr trans will be fine

I am just going to keep the gsr tranny. Down the road ill pick up a LS 5th gear. :slight_smile:

Only thing I am worried about is I have a stage 4 clutch, and i plan to make 420+ on pump and 500 on race. Will it slip on the dyno? I have been thinking about stage 5, but I just put the 4 in in Jan 2008 because I planed to do 300whp stock internals but have since changed plans and the stage 4 only has 1,000 miles on it.

Clutches are spec’ed for max TQ not how much HP you plan to make. Alot of people forget that. So if you dont plan on making more then say 310 ftlbs dont worry about going for the stage 5.

Driving a stage 5 on the street is a bitch worse feeling i ever had

I plan to be around right around there. Maybe more for race gas though.

yea I have my gsr tranny and the gears are pretty short, crusing at 70 rpm’s are at 4500, sucks cause my car gets hot from it, but it has been better since I got a bigger radiator.

if you have a b17a then the gsr ys1 trans will be fine since it goes with the engine. a gsr ys1 on a b18a/b sucks. im building an ls/vtec-t to replace my ls-t and im gonna keep the ls trans even tho i have a gsr ys1 laying around. short gears are fun for n/a but not for turbo. especially if your gonna be running 400whp. im pushing 300whp and i have no traction.

i guess once you get it all running you’ll see for yourself if you like it or not. good luck!

[QUOTE=redtegra;1917757]if you have a b17a then the gsr ys1 trans will be fine since it goes with the engine. a gsr ys1 on a b18a/b sucks. im building an ls/vtec-t to replace my ls-t and im gonna keep the ls trans even tho i have a gsr ys1 laying around. short gears are fun for n/a but not for turbo. especially if your gonna be running 400whp. im pushing 300whp and i have no traction.

i guess once you get it all running you’ll see for yourself if you like it or not. good luck![/QUOTE]

Yeah I am going to keep the b17 tranny. See what she can do next year! If I don’t like it, Ill just try to find a b18c1 transmission, upgrade to a stage 5 clutch and do the cable to hydro conversion . Deff should be fun next year rollin around with the 30R even If I dont gain traction till end of 3rd-start of 4th:dance:

their is no point in switching out to a B18c1 transmission if you dont like the gsr. they are about the same. they b17 is has shorter gears. USE the LS tranny. their is no point in having a turbo car with a short gear tranny. the gears are too short and u will be constantly shifting and that is not what u want when u are turbo! short gear trnnys are ideal for all motor setups but not for forced induction. a long gear tranny will be great with a turbo because it will allow u to stay in boost longer. short gear will have you spinning forever! especially with a 400hp SETUP!

DB2 B18C

my B18c is pared with a B17 tranny, very short.

also, NA, very fast.

i am shifting all the time, i would love to be able to trade out LS 5th gear or something, but i say b17 trany for NA and LS tranny for boost

AND i HIGHLY recommend getting a B&M ‘ripper’ ss and Skunk2 knob…wholy crap i never realized how short my throw was until i bought my 1.6EL recently…shifting that damn thing is like shifting from london to france!

EDIT: o yea and in responce to the spinning issue with a short geared tranny and boost…ive got a LOT of spin, and ive got a full race front traction bar - i can sqeak them through 3rd…but the best part is while in third, just cruizing, i can give it some gas the wheels will loose grip, i love it.

…gotta get it tuned…

tRece

:read:

I am still unsure of what to get now. I have a 90 integra that has an LS transmission. Should I just switch over my LS tranny into my GSR and put the gsr 1.7 into my daily driver? I really do not want to spin that much.

So confused:dozing:

im going to put off trying to fdigure out whats going on here for a second…where in upstate NY are you?

i, as well, am upstate.

word

tRece

EDIT: what exacally are you trying to do? build a turbo b17? or build a daily driver? or build a NA race car? i just read your first post and understand you have 2 vehicles, and that you plan to have 400+ hp (amazing amount IMHO) but whats the end game here?

if it’s a 90-91 tranny forget it man. your better off leaving that YS1 Gs-r tranny where it’s at. The 90-91 tranny’s are the small spline ones.