GSR 1.7 or LS Tranny For Turbo

dont touch your daily driver. leave it as is. get yourself an ls ys1 for the turbo setup. either way it woudlnt work cause your 90 teg has the s1 trans which has the small spline input shaft. and there weak as hell.

thats what i would do.

[QUOTE=13pulgadas;1918099]im going to put off trying to fdigure out whats going on here for a second…where in upstate NY are you?

i, as well, am upstate.

word

tRece

EDIT: what exacally are you trying to do? build a turbo b17? or build a daily driver? or build a NA race car? i just read your first post and understand you have 2 vehicles, and that you plan to have 400+ hp (amazing amount IMHO) but whats the end game here?[/QUOTE]

I am building a turbo b17. 400+ on pump. 500 on race. I plan to rebuild such as bore/sleeve, etc… I have the turbo kit, just hoping I can get all the rebuild parts for april 09. If not, 8-9 PSI shooting for a safe 300whp on stock internals for the season. Either way its going to be fun:excite:

I am most likely going to stick with the ys1 gsr transmission. I found out that LS keeps you in boost longer becuase you are going slower. So, I prefer faster acceleration. I plan to run BF Goodrich DR’s /Slicks at the track.

you never asnwered my ? - where are you in upstate?

and i would not go for an GS-R tranny when you are boosting man, by the time your turbo lag catches up it will be time for you to shift and you will never even be close to using your potential power band

please, if you boost, put on that LS tranny, yes it is LONGER, but LONGER means SLOWER only if the car is slower.

long tranny = longer time in that gear = more time to allow for turbo lag to catch up

short tranny = rev fast = schhweeet /= (thats supposed to be the 'does not equal sign) through acceleration.

i did not, and will not (simply because i am not knoweldgeable enough) comment on the size of the splines and the integrity of the transmission. i mean, honestly, its a honda tranny, it has no integrity.

tRece

[QUOTE=13pulgadas;1918360]you never asnwered my ? - where are you in upstate?

and i would not go for an GS-R tranny when you are boosting man, by the time your turbo lag catches up it will be time for you to shift and you will never even be close to using your potential power band

please, if you boost, put on that LS tranny, yes it is LONGER, but LONGER means SLOWER only if the car is slower.

long tranny = longer time in that gear = more time to allow for turbo lag to catch up

short tranny = rev fast = schhweeet /= (thats supposed to be the 'does not equal sign) through acceleration.

i did not, and will not (simply because i am not knoweldgeable enough) comment on the size of the splines and the integrity of the transmission. i mean, honestly, its a honda tranny, it has no integrity.

tRece[/QUOTE]

I am in. Albany NY.

My turbo isnt really going to lag that much as it will be a quick spool.

albany, schweet. a hike fo sho.

if you have a small turbo and want to go with the GS-R tranny sounds good man.

but, if you are going to turbo why turbo small? all that work just to be a little iddy bit quicker? turbo big, youlll get better gas milage and youll thank me :wink:

tRece

[QUOTE=13pulgadas;1918391]albany, schweet. a hike fo sho.

if you have a small turbo and want to go with the GS-R tranny sounds good man.

but, if you are going to turbo why turbo small? all that work just to be a little iddy bit quicker? turbo big, youlll get better gas milage and youll thank me :wink:

tRece[/QUOTE]

Eh, always wanted the garrett gt3076r:hugs: so I got it

When do you think I will gain traction? end of 3rd?

thats just dependent upon so many variables, but you said you were running slicks sooooo…

my buddy has a civic hatch, b16a2 super charged on 4 slicks and on dry road that thing is like fly paper…he can only rev to about 6500 hahah but still.

im not the best to ask abuot traction and turbo’s, NA im more your guy.

you will get traction, thats not the problem, the problem is how MUCH traction. i can get traction in the rain while in first gear, but ive got to be sooo sooooo light on the stage II clutch, or i could punch it and sit-a-spinning.

have fun man, be true to your ideas and get as much information as you can.

knowledge is freedom to do what you love

tRece

Yeah I am not going to be running slicks on the streets though lol…Ill run DR’s sometimes even though they will tare faster. mainly streets though.

i think we should take a vote or something, because the same question has been bugging me for awhile. i have a LS-T and i have a 1.8gsr with a jdm b16 tranny laying around. Im staying LS-T in the mean time so my buddy and i can play with the tuning and learn from our mistakes. I will eventually do GSR-T…but i dont know what tranny to use either, i dont want to spin all day cuz right now i spin 1st, 2nd, and some of third at 8psi!!! this is with traction bars, ES bushings in the whole car and kyb agx w/ ground controls so my suspension is above average. I want to push atleast 260-290 wheel HP with the LS…basically try to max it out.

ozzman, you want to get better traction? what is the spring rates on my suspension? am I running a LSD? A real traction bar? do i have good tires? these are questions you need to answer yourself.

i’ve found that my suspension and traction bar alone made up over a second in the 1/4. weak suspension squats on take off but smooth when cruising. car vigerously shakes like crazy on takeoff when I used placeracing traction bar and innovative mounts traction. Z10 stopped that. car takes off better but pulls to one side, fighting the steering wheel(probably losing about a 1/2 second doing this), added a LSD to stop that. can’t hook for sh1t on street tires, no matter the brand(nitto, yokohama parada spec 2, falken azenis, bf goodrich radials, khumo v710’s), even launching at idle. got a set of slicks now that hook, launching at 6k with no tire squeel at all.

right now if you don’t want to do anything else, you can always learn how to preload. it will help a bit from you spinning like crazy.

on the 1/4 mile short gear trany are better.

damn smoke you are right…i have traction bars (avid) my tires are fuzion ZRI, and i dont have LSD. Im going to have to finally get off my ass and put the LS swap on my mint EF and sell it so i can get the funds to continue my “quest for power”

here is some links from some respectable players in the racing scene, to put this to an end…

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=384&hilit=short+gears+or+long+gears

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=421083

I hope this helps and benefits…:read::dozing::slight_smile:

to the OP, there’s your answer right there. good info.

I have an LS/VTEC turbo setup making 405 wheel and only spin til the end of 2nd gear with an LS tranny. As soon as 3rd hits im out…

are you running an LSD and Traction bar? I spin but that’s not really until 1-2 gear shifts, and it’s minimal. I’m running an LSD, Traction bar and stiff suspension. and engine mounts. those are very important to your traction too.

I have the LSD and stiff suspension. What kind of traction bar are you using?

Z10. it stopped alot of my spinning. so did the LSD.

[QUOTE=VTEC GS-R;1918380]I am in. Albany NY.

My turbo isnt really going to lag that much as it will be a quick spool.[/QUOTE]

Thats where I am from cool!!! lol:rockon: What part? I grew up in Watervliet

Guilderland. Right next to Crossgates Mall:)

For the 92-93 gsr owners, what LSD are you guys running? OBX does not make LSD for our Ys1 trannys…