GSR 1.7 or LS Tranny For Turbo

Traction is crucial on all aspects of chassis, no matter what tranny or turbo set-up you got. Like gsrpitt said, “on 1/4 mile gsr tranny are better”, and I do aggree with him on that. But if your driving that boosted tranny on a daily, gas milage sucks! I’m running a T3/T4 that goes full boost @ 4k on an LS ys1 tranny. This is my daily driver and am able to cruise at 72 mph @ 3.2, staying out of boost.
I am also using an Unorthodox 8.5 pound lightened flywheel and crank pulley, so when I do decide to go to the track, I do have that quick acceleration (sucks nuts in the 1/8 but decent for the 1/4). I also need to address my suspension for better numbers though…

I am sticking with my ys1 tranny. Faster acceleration FTW.

If I choose to just be 300whp stock internals, what would be a good time at my local track? high 13’s on streets?

mid to low 13’s on street tires.

[QUOTE=VTEC GS-R;1924318]
For the 92-93 gsr owners, what LSD are you guys running? OBX does not make LSD for our Ys1 trannys…[/QUOTE]

ALL trannies 92+ can swap gears and so forth out without modification. Last I checked, the GSR YS1 tranny is the same casing as the LS YS1, just different gearing. I would really look into it.

Sticking with my ys1 gsr tranny. How ever, I will be putting in a LS5th gear. Just not sure when. The only LSD that I found for the 92-93 GSR is the Quaife ATB Differential. Heard its pretty good.

you can put any b16/ls hydro lsd in the ys1 trans. they’re all the same.

I wasn’t too sure since it does bolt up to your final drive, and that can make a difference I guess for a GSR. I dunno. I am currently using or beating on the OBX LSD. That thing is good for the money. already taken out the axles 3 times so no defective unit for me. it takes a beating and keeps going.

I would get OBX If I could but I guess Ill have to man up and get the Quaife :rockon:

fuck Quaife man up and get one from Mfactory

[QUOTE=VTEC GS-R;1924318]For the 92-93 gsr owners, what LSD are you guys running? OBX does not make LSD for our Ys1 trannys…[/QUOTE]The OBX LSD is the same for the 92-92 GSR as it is for all LS’ from 90-01. Only the G3 (DC2) GSR & ITR trannys from 94-01 use a different LSD part number from OBX and Quaife. You could even use the 94-01 GSR/ITR OBX LSD in your YS1 if you had the corresponding DC2 GSR/ITR tranny ring gear in your YS1 also - but you don’t need to because OBX makes the part for your tranny right off the bat.

The OBX LSD you want for the 92-93 GSR YS1 is part #LSD9000, but they are currently on back order from just about every online distributor I’ve seen of them as of present.

If drag/acceleration is your goal, a short-geared is the only way to go - regardless if it’s N/A or boost. If you want added traction, an LSD is a must and as said earlier, traction bars and stiffer suspention setups also aid in such. Put the LS 5th in the short-geared GSR YS1 if you want to save a bit of gas on the highway.

Thanks for that post. It helped me out alot!

are you sure that they make a OBX LSD for 92-93 gsr motors? Every site I check out it says for non vtec…:worry:

[QUOTE=VTEC GS-R;1926008]Thanks for that post. It helped me out alot!

are you sure that they make a OBX LSD for 92-93 gsr motors? Every site I check out it says for non vtec…:worry:[/QUOTE]
I think you mean tranny, but to answer your question - Yes.

The OBX LSD is an ATB (Helical) differential just like (and is a knock-off of) the Quaife ATB differential. Many retailers don’t know much about the differences and/or similarities of the GSR DA (or even its existence sometimes) in comparison to standard LS DAs. It’s the same reason why you don’t see simple things like for example cam or cam gears for B-series engines list the B17A by name along side the B16A and B18C as compatible motors - some people just don’t realize it or forget to mention it.

The ring gear that the LSD would mount to for the GSR YS1 is similar to that of the LS’ YS1 so it’s compatible. Just for your reference:

1990-2001 Integra LS - that come with either the B18A/B,
1992-1993 Integra GSR - that come with the B17A1,
1999-2000 Civic Si (SiR in Canada) - that come with the B16A2
OBX Part #LSD9000
Quaife Part #QDF1U

1994-2001 Integra GSR, ITR - that come with either the B18C1/5
OBX Part #LSD10678
Quaife Part #QDF6U

Hope that helps.

[QUOTE=VTEC GS-R;1926008]Thanks for that post. It helped me out alot!

are you sure that they make a OBX LSD for 92-93 gsr motors? Every site I check out it says for non vtec…:worry:[/QUOTE]

on honda tech theres pre orders for the new mfactory lsd. i preordered mine. cant wait to receive it. they should be getting shipped out in one week so if your interested you gotta act fast!

if your thinking of getting a LSD and don’t want to spend alot, get the OBX and strip it down like this

Yeah My friend who has a OBX LSD in his boosted 3rd gen integra said its been good to him and my bros 92 DA has OBX LSD as well and likes it…so I want to try it…and since I now learned they make it for the db2 thats what i am going with when money allows :rockon:

All you want to learn about gearing and ratios…http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ThreadPage=2&ForumID=10&TopicID=38223

Thank you for the info from that site. I am sticking to the ys1 gsr tranny. I dont want to fall out of vtec:stare: I heard that an LS tranny makes your car sluggish anyways. I plan to be using a Full Race traction bar and Quaife LSD. Should help out with traction issues:dance:

Do I really need to swap in a LS 5th gear or is that only If I want to save gas? I will be making a build on my gsr soon enough:rockon:

do NOT do the LS 5th… its gonna bog everytime you use it… instead drop in the s80 (95+ gsr) 5th gear… it has a .787 ratio, and is MUCH better for what you want.

what trannies do you have right now? only the cable gs-r?

here’s what I would do. I have been researching tranny builds for the last month and cam to this conclusion for boost

a standard S80 gs-r hydro tranny works really well. longer than the ys1 gs-r, and shorter than the LS.

the LS parts have also proven to be weaker. especially the open diff. and the syncro between the 1-2 gearsets. the vtec trannies have a dual cone syncro from 1-2 for more friction.

now if you do not want to start rebuilding trannies an getting into all of that hybrid stuff… stay with the ys1 gs-r tranny internals (with the hydro gs-r 5th gear) because the internals are much more stout, short gearing and traction aside.

if you dont mind some work but not alot, you can swap the 4.266 FD onto your current diff, bringing your gearing down slightly, but not so much as an LS tranny, and swap over the s80 5th gear at the same time. this way you stay in vtec between shifts, but it’ll allow you to build boost longer and give some added traction in the 1-2 gears

I’m trying to source a Hydro GSR tranny right now. once I get it, I’m going to swap the shafts complete with my LS if possible.

alright another “what kinda tranny should I use” thread and it starts off with the infamous “I searched and searched” hahaha

I personally use the GSR w/Quaife LSD and a Comp twin disc… my car makes about 450WHP. I wouldn’t have it any other way.