Iceman's All Motor Build Thread

No, he got it right.

“Your making my day,” like you said, is not correct English.

Nitpicking on grammar…Really? Is this what this thread has come down to?

Never said it was correct, and I am not looking at it you and him are! Daaaa…when are we going to talk about the main oil galley, crank oiling passages, and oil filter pads?

J, thank you for clarifying your thought process. That is all we wanted.

I still think it is a bit far fetched to think that Honda used different materials between the VTEC and non-VTEC blocks. MAybe they did, but personally, I find it hard to believe. It just doesn’t make too much sense from a businees standpoint. But then again, the GSR rod bearings are reportedly superior to in construction. Hell NACSAR started using them, but I tend to think that part of this is due to several sizes available. Then again, machine work at the level is about as good as it gets. The truth is, many of the secrets that keep professional race teams on the forefront stay secrets.

Yes, piston squirters are there for cooling. The nice carbon coating that amasses atop a piston’s crown is a great insulator. Granted added cooling is not a bad thing ever, but will it be needed in his case or most cases, I personally do not think so. In your case, maybe so. I have no idea what you do with your car.

J, was your GSR running an oil cooler? Did the LS-V run one as well? Did the GSR make similar power? More power will generally equal more heat given two very similar engines.

All that was really asked for was a rational explanation as to how you came to you conclusions/opinions.

[QUOTE=kNOwLedGe420;1996560]No, he got it right.

“Your making my day,” like you said, is not correct English.

Nitpicking on grammar…Really? Is this what this thread has come down to?[/QUOTE]

Certainly not any worse than trying to dig up a thread from H-T from someone that is somewhat affiliated with iceman and myself for a purpose that I still do not understand. BTW, name calling did not get started by me. I posed legitimate questions and got called a “freshface” and told that maybe “…you should get some grease under you fingernails…” The latter of the two is laughable at best.

Sorry, but I can admit that I am not mature enough to not resort to retaliation when that happens.

Why don’t you start?

I just asked the question: “Is it that, or are you saying that if he were to use a B18C block, even while using the B18A/B 89mm crankshaft and connecting rods, it would be more reliable than using a B18A/B block and modifying the oil delivery system?”

Hence, I was asking someone to comment on whether the oil delivery system of a “natural” VTEC engine (VTEC block and head) is superior to that of a “frankenstein” with a modified oil feed. That includes the main galley and crank oil passages.

Try bi metal vs tri metal.

Yeah, they are. Straight from Honda/Acura:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/749/releases/3304

The use of a surface-oriented crystal bearing material was pioneered in Formula One racing and has been adapted for use in the GS-R VTEC engine. Unlike the surface of conventional bearing material, the crystal bearing smface has molecules oriented into a pyramid shape. This surface traps a layer of oil and holds it far better than conventional bearing surfaces, reducing friction and enhancing reliability.
The use of a surface-oriented crystal bearing material was pioneered in Formula One racing and has been adapted for use in the GS-R VTEC engine. Unlike the surface of conventional bearing material, the crystal bearing surface has molecules oriented into a pyramid shape. This surface traps a layer of oil and holds it far better than conventional bearing smfaces, reducing friction and enhancing reliability.

Try to be specific and share specific information instead of being a pooper with vague retorts.

[QUOTE=kNOwLedGe420;1996567]

Try to be specific and share specific information instead of being a pooper with vague retorts.[/QUOTE]

How about go fuck your self, specific enough!

What’s your problem, dude? You’re the ONLY one in here that can’t seem to be civil or mature.

I bet you have plenty of knowledge to share (at least you act like you do), but your attitude in here makes it seem like you’re not qualified to suck farts out of my ass.

Care to explain that one.

Bimetel to me means 2 metals bound to one another in some fashion, and nothing more. Trimetal would add another metal to the equation.

Explain instead of spouting off.

I can only ASSUME, you are trying to refer to the bearings. In which case, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction.

Products
Bearings
Engine Bearings (Duraglide)

One of the largest ranges of automotive engine bearings in the world is produced by ACL Bearing Company, which is an approved supplier for original equipment bearings to all major vehicle manufacturers in Australia. This range covers all forms of internal combustion engines from small stationary petrol engines to large diesel applications.

Plain and flanged bearings are manufactured in a number of material options, including ACL’s Duraglide F780 heavy duty, trimetal copper-lead material, to suit every performance requirement.

The company is dedicated to developing the most innovative and modern bearing production facilities to improve productivity, reduce delivery lead times and maintain the closest production tolerances.

http://www.acl.com.au/

BTW, kNOwLedGe420, thank you for adding useful information instead of vague replies.

ricecake wrote: “I can only ASSUME, you are trying to refer to the bearings. In which case, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction.

Better check your research and sources again.

[QUOTE=DB2-R81;1996580]ricecake wrote: “I can only ASSUME, you are trying to refer to the bearings. In which case, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction.

Better check your research and sources again.[/QUOTE]

ACL Bearings. "These ACL premium bearings will not only hold up better and longer, but the special coating process will also help prevent premature engine bearing failures and expensive engine damage.

One of the largest ranges of automotive engine bearings in the world is produced by ACL Bearing Company, which is an approved supplier for original equipment bearings to all major vehicle manufacturers in Australia.

Plain and flanged bearings are manufactured in a number of material options, including ACL’s Duraglide F780 heavy duty, [SIZE=“7”]trimetal[/SIZE] copper-lead material, to suit every performance requirement.

Medium amout of eccentricity to help generate critical hyrdrodynamic oil films under load.

Higher degree of crush, and no flash plating to ensure good setting with the housing, and efficient heat transfer away from the bearings.

Certain main bearings have also been given 3/4 grooving to ensure the optimum oil supply to the rods while still maintaining bearing surface area to maximize load-carrying capacity."

i think you should shut up now.

You still don’t have a clue; most engine bearings are bi metal not tri metal. Do your research! ACL is the exception not the rule. The reason ACL’s are acceptable in Honda’s, their tri metal construction and most others are not.

He’s trying to play semantics. The bearings are a moot point in regard to the reliability of one block versus the other when doing a full engine rebuild.

[QUOTE=DB2-R81;1996580]ricecake wrote: “I can only ASSUME, you are trying to refer to the bearings. In which case, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction.

Better check your research and sources again.[/QUOTE]
Did you even fucking look at the link I posted?

Jesus you are dense.

Here for fucks sake:

http://www.mahleclevite.com/p_lv_bearings.asp

Pretty sure they are going to be trimetal for a Honduh application since they do not use aluminum bearing shells form the factory. Unless you have been hiding under a rock, Clevite bearings are probably the most popular bearing out there. Not really in the Honduh camp though.

http://www.kingbearings.com/oem.html

The mahority of King’s bearings, however, are probably not. King really isn’t that popular from what I have seen.

In case you missed the ACL link the first time. Follow the bread crumbs as both the Duraglide and ACL Race bearings use trimetal construction. I doubt you will because you are hell bent on being right, when clearly you are not, or you are incapable of demonstrating otherwise.

http://www.acl.com.au/

READ your own writing again asshole, it is critical!

ricecake wrote: “I can only ASSUME, you are trying to refer to the bearings. In which case, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction.”

[QUOTE=DB2-R81;1996593]READ your own writing again asshole, it is critical!

ricecake wrote: “I can only ASSUME, you are trying to refer to the bearings. In which case, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction.”[/QUOTE]

Yup, semantics.

If he were to say “I am pretty sure that the vast majority of aftermarket HONDA bearings have been and are of the trimetal construction,” would he be wrong?

When are we going to talk about main oil galley, crank oiling passages, and oil filter pad?

EL

OH

EL.

DB2-R81, your knowledgeabiilites are astounding.

Let me bow before the Messiah.

:bowthank::bowthank::bowthank:

Seriously, let’s get back the to topic at hand. Bearings have nothing to do with the block differences that are supposed to make the B18C1 block superior.

Unreachable, like I stated previously!

Have fun, do it your way!

good luck with your build.!!! sounds like you can’t wait to get it all done and reap the benefits. my all motor rebuild is still in the part accumulation stages, so i’m happy when i see you have all that you need… keep us posted

ps. if this thread wasn’t so friggin’ negative… it would be a really neat source of information … what a shame that short tempers, macho pride and foolish one-upmanship have proud DA owners acting like spoiled children

[QUOTE=DB2-R81;1996602]Unreachable, like I stated previously!

Have fun, do it your way![/QUOTE]

Dude. Cop out much?

I’m trying to learn something here.