Intercooler needed?

Whats the max amount of boost I can run w/out an intercooler? I tried a search :frowning: I will be using the afc hack (w/out the afc, heh) so I can run super rich if need be…

My entire turbo setup will be just under $300 w/out an intercooler or bov. So you can see my reluctance to spend $200 on an intercooler, a stupid piece of hollow metal that probably costs $20 to make.

stock compression? uh… 3psi

Typically, anything over 6psi SHOULD have an I/C, but like you said if you run a little on the RICH side, you’ll be alright.

he’s using stock injectors though. correct?

An intercooler doesn’t have to cost 200. You can get all types for less than that, from a Starion FMIC to an Eclipse SMIC. Shop around and see what you get, or better yet, go to the junkyard and pull one yourself!

I have a set of Turbo mr2 injectors, 440cc

ok nevermind then. I still wouldnt run anything past 5psi. Ofcourse I wouldnt be putting together an intercoolerless turbo set up either. So to each his own.

Originally posted by B17A
An intercooler doesn’t have to cost 200. You can get all types for less than that, from a Starion FMIC to an Eclipse SMIC. Shop around and see what you get, or better yet, go to the junkyard and pull one yourself!

People now know that starion intercoolers can be used cheaply, so everyone sells them for more than they are worth. The cheapest i’ve seen them for is $175

Originally posted by notecLS
People now know that starion intercoolers can be used cheaply, so everyone sells them for more than they are worth. The cheapest i’ve seen them for is $175
Which is the reason I added that you should check the junkyards out.

Originally posted by B17A
Which is the reason I added that you should check the junkyards out.

Theres only 1 junkyard that has imports in my town, and its 90% old rx7’s :frowning:

where do you live? a junkyard should have any car that has been wrecked well at least that’s how it is here. anyway go get you an old rx7 intercooler, i’m sure it can be had for cheap

Originally posted by yellaboi
where do you live? a junkyard should have any car that has been wrecked well at least that’s how it is here. anyway go get you an old rx7 intercooler, i’m sure it can be had for cheap

old rx7’s didnt come turbo’d

Originally posted by notecLS
old rx7’s didnt come turbo’d

yes they did

i just got 2 eclispe intercoolers because my stoned ass thought that i could some how fit 2 of them because they are so small. I will sell ya one in a few weeks because the kid i bought them off of cut off the “connecting tubes” i guess you can call them so i have to get them welded back on. Then just give me 80 bucks and it is yours and you can keep your ac and power steering. Then also boost about 10 Psi

yea i’ll also have a stock DSM intercooler for sale in a couple days when my big fat nice one goes in :horny:

Originally posted by Formz TSi
yes they did

I’m talking 1st gen’s… some 2nd gens were turbo’d, and all 3rd gens are turbo. Now mazda looped back around, the 4g’s arent turbo’d :frowning:

I say make a custom intercooler to go with your custom kamikaze turbo header with plastic inline oil pump & afc hack without an afc. Here’s what you need:

• 1 pipe 2.5" in diameter & about 25" long
  • 1 pipe 4" in diameter & about 23" long
  • 2 4" diameter endcaps

Stick the 2.5" pipe into the 4" pipe. Take the 4" endcap & drill a 2.5" hole in the middle. Then fit the 2.5" pipe into that hole & then seal the ends around the 4" pipe so that it is water-tight. Now you should have a 4" diameter empty chamber surrounding the 2.5" pipe. Fill the chamber 3/4 of the way with water & then seal the other end with your remaining 4" modified endcap. Route this in the front of your bumper connected to the rest of your ic piping.

Now when you want to race with full boost disconnect the front mount pipe setup & put it into the freezer for 3 hrs so the water inside freezes. Take it out & then quickly reconnect it back to your car & race away with chilled air :cool:

I’ve seen this setup support over 300hp so it should work really well for you. Here’s a schematic drawing to help you get started:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by qwkteg125
[B]I say make a custom intercooler to go with your custom kamikaze turbo header with plastic inline oil pump & afc hack without an afc. Here’s what you need:

• 1 pipe 2.5" in diameter & about 25" long
  • 1 pipe 4" in diameter & about 23" long
  • 2 4" diameter endcaps

Stick the 2.5" pipe into the 4" pipe. Take the 4" endcap & drill a 2.5" hole in the middle. Then fit the 2.5" pipe into that hole & then seal the ends around the 4" pipe so that it is water-tight. Now you should have a 4" diameter empty chamber surrounding the 2.5" pipe. Fill the chamber 3/4 of the way with water & then seal the other end with your remaining 4" modified endcap. Route this in the front of your bumper connected to the rest of your ic piping.

Now when you want to race with full boost disconnect the front mount pipe setup & put it into the freezer for 3 hrs so the water inside freezes. Take it out & then quickly reconnect it back to your car & race away with chilled air :cool:

I’ve seen this setup support over 300hp so it should work really well for you. Here’s a schematic drawing to help you get started:
[/B]

One problem with yoru setup is water expands, compressing the air possibly building alot of pressure inside the tube. I think I will try to hack a radiator

I will post pics of my setup in like 2 weeks, which is when i get paid so i can buy charge pipes and downpipe. Is it s afe to run w/out a downpipe for like a week?